Author Topic: Ideas for canvas  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Ideas for canvas
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:42:01 AM »
We’re planning a day driving around and checking out various campers to see if there’s any good ideas we want to steal for the new canvas on our Finch rebuild.

Anyone got suggestions for brands other then Jayco and Goldstream for us to check out?
And anyone got suggestions for stores around Brissy with a good range of wind-up style campers in stock (other then the Jayco dealer)?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Ideas for canvas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
Pete my preference wouldnt be for canvas .. But Silver / White HD Poly 3 year full UV [ 12MIL Spec ] rated I think its called.
 Came in 2.1 m wide rolls and was about $18 PM from memory  . Served us well for over Ten years and was still like new when I cut it up . made up into flat panels with 50 mm velcro tapped edges [ easy to repair any thing that way,  if needed just remove that panel ]  or as in Craigs old Jayco a light vinyl ..  No mould mildew issues  when packing up wet or storing for long periods in humid weather .. and arguably stronger / easier repairable in the event of a mishap .
NOTE : When getting it sewn up if using the Poly they must TAPE the sew line seams  with something like a double sided tape first otherwise water can wick in through the thread holes .. Not so much a problem on the vinyl / canvas .
Does get hot inside in full sun,  BUT that was with a soft vinyl roof and usualy all windows will be open anyway,  so shouldnt be a drama, Besides your outside most if not all the time anyway  and it cools quick at night ...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:58:19 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:48 PM »
Vinyl also has the advantage that it doesn't get ground-in red dust stains like my last canvas camper did.
My pop top if off on Monday morning to get its vinyl skirt made.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
I thought i saw a New Age camper the othey day that looked like that style. Might be anothef brand to have a squiz at

CTL

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
My pop top if off on Monday morning to get its vinyl skirt made.

Will it be insulated?

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »
Will it be insulated?
Nah. If the weather is either too hot or too cold we can close the roof and still have enough headroom as we are short arses. The heating and cooling will cope with anything with the roof down. Ceiling height on the lifted Glamper will be 2250 max, with three zip-out windows, two of them below awnings. Plus there are three roof hatches. Proof will be in the pudding. We live in hope.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
Hi Pete what edz and others said, After doing a lap around Aus in 1988 with mum and dad in there pop up Jayco van nearly the same as the one I have now, and taking it shooting out west a few times, I got to hate the new canvas on Dads van, It licked it would stay wet and the dust would stick to it, and then it would soak the mattress with mud never thought of covering the mattress with a tarp or plastic them days, I looked for months to find a bloke that does it in his back yard at a great price most shops are 4 to 5 grand, I found one bloke at Cootharaba but he got so busy he could not do it, So I herd of another bloke for the same money Darren at DJY upholstery at Coominya, he did a great job for $1800, shore theres a few things like the sticking in some spots that are coming undone but I just put a bit of Sika on them all good,  ours is vinyl, and I got him to put all the zips and flaps on the outside it can be a pain in the ass some times in hot weather if I wind the van up without unzipping things first but great once it rains its out on its own as i can open the van up and its still cool but no rain comes in, , I love it, But you may not like it, You are welcome to come and have a look at mine if you wish, just at Cooroy, Warning. our van is rough as guts the roof needs a bit of work I have no lights or wiring as we do not need any fancy rubbish as we have all portable charges and lights, its just to sleep in, but we love it, Craig     
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:22:17 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
And anyone got suggestions for stores around Brissy with a good range of wind-up style campers in stock (other then the Jayco dealer)?

Might be a bit too far for you, Pete, but this is on in a few weeks ???

https://www.letsgocaravanandcamping.com.au/events/event/gold-coast-caravan-and-outdoor-expo/
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 08:46:03 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yesterday we did the rounds of all the various camper stores around Brissy looking for ideas, and for the most part it was rather underwhelming.

Apparently the wind-up camper world is a land of same-same.

I guess it was foolish of me to think that after more then 40 years of building this style of camper someone would have come up with a better idea then roll down clear plastic windows with crappy little plastic straps hanging down in front of them.

I must say though, the canvas and finish on the Goldstreams is sooooooo much better then the rest.
And it was interesting to see the clear decline in quality on Jaycos from the 80s through to today’s offerings all in one day.

Fortunately there was a couple of hard floor campers that had some windows and screens in the style we want, so we’ve got some good photos to talk to our canvas guys about.
We also got some good ideas for our awning.

We finished it off with a debrief over a couple of beers at the Regatta Hotel. :cheers:

All in all, it was a good day out. :)
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 12:42:08 PM »
HI Pete, I love the pop window awnings on the MDC CTs would love them all around my van on the small windows, Craig

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »
HI Pete, I love the pop window awnings on the MDC CTs would love them all around my van on the small windows, Craig
Just had to google them to see, but yep, they’re the style that we’re planning on the bed ends and the whole side opposite the awning wall.

Just a few slight changes to this design (I’ve got a little bit better idea for the poles and don’t like the zip in the middle of the fly screen).

I’m also going to steal an idea from the Golf wind-up campers where the whole side wall under the awning can zip open from the bottom and roll up.
It was intended to make a serving bay for one of their models with a prep bench inside and bbq on the outside wall.
But it will be perfect for air flow inside the camper on those stinking hot afternoons when there’s no mozzies out.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 07:09:13 PM »
The ones I saw I thought were all sown in they just popped out with FG poles built in , I could be wrong, Craig

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
Bit of extra work Pete. Maybe another idea,  Velcro on or magnetic tape on / removable fly screens instead of sewn in ..

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
Bit of extra work Pete. Maybe another idea,  Velcro on or magnetic tape on / removable fly screens instead of sewn in ..
Yeah, the canvas guys where pushing me towards velco flyscreens as well.

Makes sense. At least if the screens get torn it’s an easy replacement rather then a reasonably big repair job if they’re zipped in.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 06:31:45 AM »
The old coromal magnum pop ups had full zip out side walls also if you are looking for more ideas.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Like the forward folds and some Cub campers ...Lets the outside in and gives you that large open space freedom feel ..