Author Topic: Jayco Outback - Hawk or Eagle  (Read 76982 times)

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
Jayco Outback - Hawk or Eagle
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
Guy's and Gals,

The boat is on the market and have prices on the Jayco Hawk and Eagle with many extras and was wishing to get some opinions on must have accessories? We have listed the following to be added to the camper.....Also, for those that have them which layout is more user friendly and has more storage (if any) Hawk or Eagle. I currently prefer the Hawk with the galley style kitchen. Also, do they do wind up TV antennas for these type of vans? The two prices I have are honestly below what I expected, awaiting on a couple more to come in......

Outback Pack
Solar Pack 120watt
Battery but would like dual setup, with Anderson plug charge cable to the vehicle.
Bed Flys
Roof Rack
Air conditioning
Microwave
Alko-Drop jacks
Bag Awning
DVD/CD player and speakers
Bumper Bar
2 Extra Jerry can holders - on rear bumper
OZ Hitch off road coupling

These are what we are currently looking at and any assistance would be greatly appreciated...... :cheers:
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Jayco Outback - Hawk or Eagle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:26 PM »
Hi,

We have the offroad hawk.  I was talked out of the BBQ by the sales rep and I'm glad.  The only thing I really wish we'd done was extend the drawbar so it could be set up while still hitched, handy on those overnight quick set ups. 

An external water tap is handy as well, that way you don't have to go inside to wash hands etc

cheers

Annette

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »
Hi,

We have the offroad hawk.  I was talked out of the BBQ by the sales rep and I'm glad.  The only thing I really wish we'd done was extend the drawbar so it could be set up while still hitched, handy on those overnight quick set ups. 

An external water tap is handy as well, that way you don't have to go inside to wash hands etc

cheers

Annette

Extended Draw bar, very good idea.......Outside tap another but I should be able to do that later myself. Thanks for the tips......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Prado BB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
If your dead set on the bagged awning, make sure it is the new design with a bigger bag (I was shown this at the Penrith show and its much easier to pack up).  Oh and go the LED tail lights for a bit of bling ;D ;D

Cheers Andy

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way, that you look forward to the journey.

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
We have an Outback Eagle

Its just the 2 of us ( and the 2 little dogs )
We like the 2 different areas for seating
I think the storage would be pretty much the same in either model
It really is which ever floats your boat so to speak

Some things we added
Innerspring mattress, really quite nice
Hot Water System with outside shower, extra water tank and extra gas bottle ( I think this is around 2k but really well worth it )
Gas Bayonet fitting to front of chassis for Weber Q
Kitchen side awning

Would have liked
Battery monitor
Water monitor
water tap to chassis

Talked out off
The External BBQ, glad we were
DVD CD Player, quite costly when you think about it.

Check out solar elsewhere, I think that Jayco are expensive

Good luck and I am sure you will be happy with the choice you make

Richard
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:23:03 PM by richee »
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
We went the Hawk over the Eagle as the kitchen layout of the Hawk keeps little kids away from the hotplates when cooking etc if the stove and burners are being used the kids have to walk within cm's of them to get to the main lounge/ table  and rear bed area.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
We went the Hawk over the Eagle as the kitchen layout of the Hawk keeps little kids away from the hotplates when cooking etc if the stove and burners are being used the kids have to walk within cm's of them to get to the main lounge/ table  and rear bed area.

Thanks mate, that was my thinking also. By the way I was in your shop Thursday last week to buy a Super Charge All-Rounder battery as my aux battery dropped a cell......Thanks.....

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
ok cool mate, I was like a headless chook last week. >:D

The other thing we liked about the Hawk kitchen layout is it keeps everything seperate from the lounge seating area, when cooking, you're not sort of getting in other peoples, kids way like you may in the Eagle if they want to come and go from the table area when someone is cooking.
Our 2 kids are old enough now to be careful around a hot stove, but it still doesn't mean they sit still for more than 5 seconds. Especially if it is wet outside and all your cooking is being done inside with wrestless kids.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I agree that the Hawk layout is probably better suited to families with younger kids
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
I agree that the Hawk layout is probably better suited to families with younger kids

Yep, that's what I was thinking as ours are 3 and 2 years old....Hence liking the Jayco style camper for convenience.......

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
ok cool mate, I was like a headless chook last week. >:D

The other thing we liked about the Hawk kitchen layout is it keeps everything seperate from the lounge seating area, when cooking, you're not sort of getting in other peoples, kids way like you may in the Eagle if they want to come and go from the table area when someone is cooking.
Our 2 kids are old enough now to be careful around a hot stove, but it still doesn't mean they sit still for more than 5 seconds. Especially if it is wet outside and all your cooking is being done inside with wrestless kids.

Mate, Just sent a PM about custom stone guards........ :cheers:

Offline Prado BB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
The Eagle has a wardrobe that folds down, but the Hawk has slightly more cupboards down low.  I also like the kitchen configuration of the Hawk.  One difference that upsets some is you need to climb up onto the queen bed in the Hawk, whereas in the Eagle you step up via the lounge.
Cheers Andy

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way, that you look forward to the journey.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
Buy a Goldstream  ;D
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darrenh

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
Ours is a flaming and the queen bed can be accessed by climbing on the lounge. But the "kids" bed is the double which is at the kitchen end. They couldn't get in to bed until I made them a ladder.
2006 100 series sahara
2008  Jayco flamingo outback

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »
I thought my computer screen was playing tricks on my eyes Teabag when I saw that you're looking at a Jayco  >:D

We went the Hawk for the same reasons as 2Brutal as the layout does seem to suit better with young ones, its almost like having two seperate living areas.

Good luck with your decision mate.  :cheers:
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
We have an outback eagle as we preferred the layout and take it offroad.
Have single battery that I have relocated outside that runs lights and pump for more than a week when bush camped.
Have bagged bed end flys (A must IMO), bagged awning and full annex (used annex a total of once), roof rails that I have taken off (cant put anything heavy on top and operate roof) and a poly block coupling. The outback models when I got mine came standard with a rear bumper but only rated to carry the spare wheel, although that may have changed.
If I was buying again today the only other extras I would consider is a longer draw bar.
Opted not to have Solar, air con, Microwave, DVD/Cd player, HWS, BBQ on side of van and do not miss or regret not getting these extras.
I have made several modifications to our camper to make it more suited to off road travel.
An important point to consider IMO when choosing extras, particularly second water tanks or provision for extra jerry cans is they all increase the tare weight. The difference between a standard empty camper and a fully laden camper is 252kgs for an eagle and 277kgs for a hawk. This is not a lot when you consider a full water tank adds 82 kg, then there's the clothes, the shoe collection, food, sundries and of course the drinks.
We know what we would rather forgo when out camping and yet I reckon we often start out a tad overloaded.
Regards

You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
Some good points to consider for the long run Rebs.
Would have loved to go the longer drawbar, but will only just get it in my Garage as is but a great option.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 12:45:11 AM »
We also compared the Hawk and Eagle and went for the Hawk with it's galley at one end and it's lounge and table at the end.   Even without young kids, it means that I don't get in Cook's way when she's busy.
We added the Alko legs, Treg Hitch, battery and a second gas bottle which we use to run a $100 Aldi hooded BBQ/stove inside the annex & outside the van via a longer hose.   It stows in the same external side locker but is not limited to being used right up against the van like the slide-out one would be.
End flies and annex were included in the deal. I fitted a sink pump (very handy) and inverter myself.   
Handy hint; On our last outing we stayed at a caravan park and took our small microwave with us.  The second bed wasn't being used so the microwave sat up there on a 2m2 sheet of masonite.   The masonite doesn't take up any room, turns the bed into a large and stable shelf and can be stowed under the matteress when the bed needs to be used for sleeping
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »
Ours is a flaming and the queen bed can be accessed by climbing on the lounge. But the "kids" bed is the double which is at the kitchen end. They couldn't get in to bed until I made them a ladder.

Do you take it to the Gay Mardi Gras?
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline grantnielsen

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:32 AM »

I just took delivery of my new Flamingo ST.

Here's what I did with my van.

Outback Pack
YES

Solar Pack 120watt
Went 185W but not from Jayco.

Battery but would like dual setup, with Anderson plug charge cable to the vehicle.
Did the same. The Anderson plug is worth it!

Bed Flys
YES

Roof Rack
MAYBE... If they can find the missing parts before I leave  :D

Air conditioning
NO... Remote power's my issue here

Microwave
Got rid of my Jayco one... too big. Got a more compact KMart one and it's fine.

Alko-Drop jacks
YES and good to have.

Bag Awning
A wind-out one, but only used on the road.

DVD/CD player and speakers
Too expensive

Bumper Bar
N/A

2 Extra Jerry can holders - on rear bumper
N/A

OZ Hitch off road coupling
No, as have too many other things to tow at home.

Other changes:
Outside Shower
Had hot and cold taps mounted on the Bumper Bar.

Kitchen Sink
Resealed it myself

Floor and Bench Tops
Clear siliconed the floor and bench top joins.

240V
Added a 1000W Powerteck 240V inverter and safety switch

External Lights
Fitted a switch, near the door, to allow me to turn on the white running lights when camped. The cable is kept in the boot and then plugged into the trailer plug when I get to the camp. Rarely used, but is handy around the van at night. From inside the van, I can illuminate 360 around the van. Worth it's weight in gold when the dog barks  :D

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
Thanks for all the handy hints, keep them coming........ :cheers:

Getting some valued info.....

Offline Sharshebelle1

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Hi,
I have to disagree(politely) with some of the other opinions, I prefer the Eagle layout, we prefer a seperate dinning and lounging area with kids.  We just spent a week at the snow with the kids,  and because of the weather were inside most of the time. We had no problems with space or cooking during that time. To be honest though, on most trips we usually eat outside so its not a factor. The wardrobe is handy,  after modifications. We also went for the outside slide out BBQ and are really happy with it,  its so easy to use,  we can even stop of the way somewhere and have a quick tea/coffee without a hassle,  and its so easy to pack away, but again, each to thier own.
Whichever way you go,  Im sure you will get as much pleasure as we do and we believe it's one of the best decisions we've ever made. Good luck with your decision.
09 Pathfinder
2010 Jayco Eagle Outback.

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
An important point to consider IMO when choosing extras, particularly second water tanks or provision for extra jerry cans is they all increase the tare weight. The difference between a standard empty camper and a fully laden camper is 252kgs for an eagle and 277kgs for a hawk. This is not a lot when you consider a full water tank adds 82 kg, then there's the clothes, the shoe collection, food, sundries and of course the drinks.
We know what we would rather forgo when out camping and yet I reckon we often start out a tad overloaded.
Regards

Not sure on the Jaycos, but I would be checking if you can get the weight increased- I was able to on mine when ordering a different brand, should not be too hard (or costly) unless the jayco is near its limits in terms of axle loads etc, and if its too close I would be looking to upgrade anyway.

Always better to have some in reserve, as when packing to go away its amusing how quickly it all adds up.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »
Well, I think the Hawk is the floor plan that will work for us a little better though there really isn't much difference. Got the prices back on some other additions which I thought wasn't to bad.

Inner spring for Queen bed only -$206
Extended draw bar - $247
Bag awning for kitchen - $620
Battery monitor though told this is with the solar pack
Water tank gauge - I would recommend fitting a control panel which will tell you level of water and batterys - $207 (this was recommendation from dealer)
12 volt pump fitted to the kitchen - $137
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:35:25 AM by Teabag »

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
Well, I think the Hawk is the floor plan that will work for us a little battery though there really isn't much difference. Got the prices back on some other additions which I thought wasn't to bad.

Inner spring for Queen bed only
Extended draw bar
Bag awning for kitchen
Battery monitor though told this is with the solar pack
Water tank gauge

Water tank guage and Battery monitor are all in one as is the pump switch  (RV Control Panel) in accessory listing

Oh!! go the HWS and external shower.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾