Author Topic: The brown snakes are definitelty out and about  (Read 34503 times)

Offline brettk

• Tent User
Re: The brown snakes are definitelty out and about
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
CQ man died last week froom Taipan bite , he worked for ergon energy they were trying to get to a power pole through thick lantana.... very sad

liney

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
I work for a powerline company here in WA and am constantly wandering through scrub in search of powerpoles etc and have been bl@@dy lucky I haven't disturbed any critter as well. I was also in the Kimberlies 2 winters ago trapping and catching snakes in the long grass for an enviromental mob and now look back if I was bitten,that I was several kms away from my mate with no comms and was reckless on behalf of who we were working for. 9 times out of 10 the mere sound and vibrations of man wandering through the bush alerts snakes and they choose to move away but there is always that 1 time out of 10 that we aren't prepared for and unfortunately that poor bloke had one of those moments. R.I.P. mate.

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
The brown snakes are definitelty out and about
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »
Ran over one today on the MTB

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
Killed 1 brown today in the garden, I was alerted by the birds going nuts. Couple of weekends ago it was 2 Tigers. Not a good start to the warm season!
Mark.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
Been up the sunny coast for a few days in the rain... just got back this arve.  Cleaning up the tent and a friggin' giant, and I mean FRIGGIN' GIANT, centipede ran out of a fold in the canvas and towards my hand.  Now I don't really have a problem with snakes and spiders, but have just discovered today I have a deep seated fear of giant centipedes.  Watch out for the buggers, cause they bite hard.  Worst thing is I think it went inside the tent and I can't find it anywhere...  :'(

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
Killed  Relocated 1 brown today in the garden, I was alerted by the birds going nuts. Couple of weekends ago it was 2 Tigers. Not a good start to the warm season!
Mark.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Ive eaten both tiger and brown and both taste like a pork /dry chicken blend and are flakey like fish when cooked in foil.snakes in the bush live,snakes in my yard die.Dont care much what the rules are,a wire switch or a 12 gauge is always handy and the only lucky ones (poisoness) are the redbellies which are happy to run away.anyone who says snakes will always run away havent met Mr brown from Warenbayne who chased me and an elderly gentleman back to the tractor(40 yards)all the while with his head half a metre off the ground.We reckon he was a full 7feet long and as thick as my wrist.
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Ive eaten both tiger and brown and both taste like a pork /dry chicken blend and are flakey like fish when cooked in foil.......
Sounds tasty   :-* 

:cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:48 PM »
Killed  Relocated 1 brown today in the garden, I was alerted by the birds going nuts. Couple of weekends ago it was 2 Tigers. Not a good start to the warm season!
Mark.

Sorry my mistake. I 'relocated' its head from its body and...
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
On a recent trip we stayed at Wyangala Dam for 4 days and I almost stepped on this crossing my path ! We watched it for quite a while slithering around a particular area, covered the same area about 4 times, think it was letting us know it was his territory.

Robyn.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:36:33 PM by WaituiRob »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
I got to a job yesterday (push mower day) to be told by the client, we have 1.7 metre eastern brown around here someplace, so be careful.
She had nearly stepped on on by the back step, but it moved around the front and had been laying on the path.

I said, how do you know its length...... They have a patterned path, so they noted its length against the patterns.

So where is it now, i asked.

We think its over there by that garden bed, so maybe go easy around there when you mow etc.

I started whipper snippering and getting vewy vewy nervous around the gardens, as they are quite full of plants and easy for a Joe Black to hide in.

At this point, if someone had of touched me or thrown a bit of rope in front of me, i would've soiled myself on the spot.
(That wouldn't be good either, as i still had two more mows to do, so it would've been a right old mess by home time.)

I was half way through the actual mow, when the snake catcher arrives.
I even mow for one of the snakes guys, who is pretty good, but it wasn't him yesterday.

This tosser pulls up in an old clapped out Tarago van and neither him or the van had been washed since the War of the Roses.

Old BO Plenty has no shoes on, just a bag and two snake stick things with hooks on 'em.

After talking to the client and telling her how good he was, he set about looking for the bloody thing.
Geez he was a knob and the client thought so too

The wash up was, i didn't see it, neither did BO Plenty and i gave the client the number of the guy i mow for, who catches 'em.

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Willow Girl

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Him, Her and the boys :)
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
OMG... check out the size of this one!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=146414572040544
Him, Her and the boys!
2003 Pajero

9ft Khaki Customline tent on a full off road custom trailer :-)

and a wish list a mile long.....

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »

That is a HUGE Brown snake....

I nearly crapped me daks!!

"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

brother inlaw put this up the other day ,wife watched it and nearly jumped outa the lounge chair.but the funniest reaction was from the 2 year old grandaughter we played it on our tablet and faced it towards her on computer while skyping the reaction and face exspression was unbeleivable and 6 yr old grandson said his heart wouldnt stop pounding
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
The snake in the video is a python of some description I believe, it was found on a site in North Qld.

I was out searching for a leak in a pipeline we manage last week and would have come across at least 6 browns along about 5klms of pipeline. I actually sat (with the windows closed) and watched as one, about 2 meters long, continually struck at the side of my car, awesome experience from behind sheet metal and a window.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
Even though this is an old thread thought I'd relate my experience this morning,
Up at 5am to get ready for work, having the obligatory morning leak using our ensuit and bitten by a snake curled up in the top of the dirty washing basket which sits next to the throne. Was only a baby and got me on the finger (thank god, it could have been worse), was really dark brown but hanging on my finger by it's teeth and me already starting to bleed I wasn't inspecting it any further.
So after screaming like a girl to awaken SWMBO to get the compression bandages going I had an ambulance ride to the caboolture hospital, and 15 hours later I'm back home and no worse for wear except for the blood they took out of me every couple of hours. (they really looked after me in emegency, thanks guys)
Just got to make sure we shut those screen doors properly from now on.

Sent from my Moto Defy using Tapatalk 2

Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline Trex_s4m1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • need more toys! :D
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
Geez man good to hear you are ok. Scary stuff!

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 02:50:21 AM »
Not really in the same league mate,but I'll relate my story

Wife and I are walking one evening along a coastal cycle/walk path from one beach to another, path is surrounded by bush both sides.
wife lived for many years in South Africa so she's no stranger to some dangerous animals.
Anyway,as the caring and responsible husband I gave her a good speech about what to do should we 'stumble ' upona snake while doing our evening walk.
Made sure she understood we were to remain calm and back away slowly should a snake be on the path or cross in front of us.
on dusk and on the way back,yep sure enough,a snake crossed our path, wife remained calm, I literally shat myself and started dancing from one foot to another jumping about screaming, ......
wife not too impressed, so much for my speach to remain calm,I scared that 10cm long snake right off the path!
I got an ear bashing from the wife, it even got worse when I started jumping and dancing around a few minutes later, same or if not worse than just before.
Never to live it down,
that shoelace that rubbed against my leg scared the crap out of me.
This time wife was in hysterics and pissing herself laughing when she realised I was freaking out over my shoelace.

Like I said,not really in same league as you mate,......
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline 1HDT

• Tent User
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »
Not really in the same league mate,but I'll relate my story

Wife and I are walking one evening along a coastal cycle/walk path from one beach to another, path is surrounded by bush both sides.
wife lived for many years in South Africa so she's no stranger to some dangerous animals.
Anyway,as the caring and responsible husband I gave her a good speech about what to do should we 'stumble ' upona snake while doing our evening walk.
Made sure she understood we were to remain calm and back away slowly should a snake be on the path or cross in front of us.
on dusk and on the way back,yep sure enough,a snake crossed our path, wife remained calm, I literally shat myself and started dancing from one foot to another jumping about screaming, ......
wife not too impressed, so much for my speach to remain calm,I scared that 10cm long snake right off the path!
I got an ear bashing from the wife, it even got worse when I started jumping and dancing around a few minutes later, same or if not worse than just before.
Never to live it down,
that shoelace that rubbed against my leg scared the crap out of me.
This time wife was in hysterics and pissing herself laughing when she realised I was freaking out over my shoelace.

Like I said,not really in same league as you mate,......

PMSL  ;D Thats very funny.

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
I actually sat (with the windows closed) and watched as one, about 2 meters long, continually struck at the side of my car, awesome experience from behind sheet metal and a window.

Then the snake dissappears under the car...... ever looked how many holes there are in the floor of the car?
Happened to me too, finally I figured he'd given up and gone and Id put the job off for a while, drove for 30 minutes across the farm, got out and did some other jobs. Came back to the car and he was just coming down from underneath somewhere. Equally pissed off as last time.

BernieS

« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
Many years back I worked in the accounting office of a certain building products manufacturer whose business was based out back of the airport near bushland. One day whilst sitting at my desk I felt something brush past my leg and out the corner of my eye I saw a snake slither into the tiny tea room about 6 ft away. I hate snakes and scared myself half to dead and screamed "Snake" at the top of my voice. (I was told that they heard me down in the purchasing department!!)  Anyway the thing managed then to slither its way into the main computer room, followed by a major search because the CFO was concerned it'd short something out. (I wasn't too popular because I'd scared the snake, yeah the guy was a nutter) No sign of the snake anywhere. Later in the day the one of the sales guys was down in the men's restroom and saw the snake on the floor behind him as he was looking in the mirror above the wash basin. Turned out the snake had slithered down a hole in the floor above where the computer room was.  It was a tree snake. (apparently) ;D