Author Topic: Want to get cheaper tools?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline MADCOW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Rescue Fish from Water and Beer from Bottles
Want to get cheaper tools?
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
Probably a lot of people do not know about this but I thought I would share it with you anyhow

I needed to get another Cordless Drill and setled on the Makita 18v Lithium. RRP was $335.00 at most places I could question. Just out of interest i was in Bunnings and spoke to their "special orders" desk to see if they could get my particular drill as they did not stock it. They could source it no problem. So I got the best price I could find on the net delivered and went back to see if they price matched. They actually will do that and will also beat it by 10% as advertised. The drill ended up costing $261.00 inc gst and I have to wait 5-10 days before it turns up. Told the girl behind the desk I now loved her even more when she mentioned that!
I would rather buy local if possible and keep people in a job even if it is Bunnings the company i regularly deal with at work could not get close to it and we spend over 10K a month with them and they are part of the same group.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:18:42 AM by MADCOW »
03 4.2 TDI Gu, Mountain Trail Extended Escape Camper,
 June 2018 Terrain Tamer Calendar

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
Re: Want to get cheaper tools?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:18 AM »
I have started using the Renegade brand of tools from Trade Tools.  The ones I have are 10.8v Li-ion powered - currently I have the drill, the circular saw, the jigsaw, the LED torch and the multitool which is an amazingly useful piece of kit.

I wondered whether a 10.8v tool would have enough power, but so far they have done everything I wanted (except I tried the circular saw on too thick a piece of timber and it stalled).  These tools are very well made - I first discovered them when the carpenter who was working in our house left his multitool behind and I tried it out before reurning it to him!

After you have your first tool and a couple of batteries with charger, the rest of the tools are about $78 each.

Trade Tools is a great place to buy all your tools - they sell most major brands as well as their own brands which are incredibly good value.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:31:14 AM by Pipeliner »
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!