Author Topic: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine  (Read 43714 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventures Magazine
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Redback
I'm not really into Mags, but I'll pick up a copy and give it a read, I used to like Tony Kirby's Sidetrack
Yep, was good.. I used to read Wazza's copies... I actually used to like Trail and Track :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »
Yep, was good.. I used to read Wazza's copies... I actually used to like Trail and Track :(

Sidetrack was great but when Tony moved from Harris Park to the bush it struggled and so did his health. Isn't he back at ADB. I don't buy the bike mags anymore.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »
I grabbed a copy last week while I was in the newsagent and it was staring at me. Over all, I like it, and find it to be much higher quality than anything else on the shelf at the moment.

I was a bit hesitant, because although I really like Pat's 4x4 Adventures TV show, I found the last season to be a bit difficult to follow, and the advertorials a bit too intrusive to the show. So it was with that in the back of my mind that I picked up a copy and have been reading through it over the past few days.

My condensed thoughts (rare for me, you'll agree):
* I can't stand the gothic-type font. The same one as on the 4x4 Adventures DVD covers. It looks good (very good, in fact) against a plain background, but with any sort of photo underneath it I just can't read it I'm afraid.

* Love the high-quality paper and the great photos. It's obvious that some really top photographers have been used. To me, the presentation of the book is more "coffee table book" than "magazine". I think the team has really hit their goals here. The front cover is very clean and "wow-inspiring". The photos in the articles take centre stage.

* I'm not sold on the high level of HDR used on some of the photos. It certainly makes them pop, and it's the flavour of the month, but I (personally) would like to see it toned down a bit.

* The contributing authors lineup is very strong. I was pleasantly surprised to see Scott Brady's name on the list, and thoroughly enjoyed his article on the EarthRoamer. His pedigree is unquestionable, and it's great to see his writing being bought to Australia. I see this as a great opportunity to increase ties with our US compatriots, and share some experiences between the two countries.

* I thought the advertising mix was good. I liked the rationale and ethics behind the advertising in Pat's foreward, and welcome the hard line against paid-for advertorials. Another mag has recently started including provided advertorials on their DVDs, and I really dislike the practice. That said, I'm not against ads, it's how the mags make their money and offset the costs of production. I liked the limit on large multipage ads - in other mags it's not uncommon for an advertiser to buy 4 consecutive pages, which I find intrusive. As said, I think the mix is good.

All that said, I think the intention of the magazine (and indeed the TV shows) is admirable. I feel it presents in a similar vein to the old Leyland Bros shows, teaching a new generation of Australians about this wonderful country, and that you can take your family safely to see what's out there. For that, I think both the mag and the TV series succeed strongly. I do still have reservations about the format of the TV show, but am looking forward to the new season starting to see if things have improved.

I've not signed up for a subscription to the mag, I intend to buy a few standalone first. If it continues down the same track as the first edition though, I can see it being very successful - not just to the 4wding community, but to help broaden that community to new people.

If I had launched a new mag, and my first edition came out looking like this one has, I'd be pretty happy with myself.

Personally I'd love to get involved with the new mag somehow, it's exactly my cup of tea. Pity I'm not a writer or a photographer. Ahh well, next time Gadget.

To Pat - good luck with the new mag - I think you're off to a cracking start.

Thanks!
Matto :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:12:14 PM by Matto »
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Quote from: MDS69
Sidetrack was great but when Tony moved from Harris Park to the bush it struggled and so did his health. Isn't he back at ADB.
not quite.
http://www.cycletorque.com.au/Vale-Tony-Kirby/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JAB

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
Will certainly have a read Pat as I have enjoyed your tv series, other dvd/magazine input over the years.  Unfortunately it may not be till December cause I have already spent my month's worth of coin on your competitiors' magazines.

In terms of advertising, I do not see this as an inconvenience in any way, it is not hard to flick over the advertisements to get to the articles or hit the skip button on your dvd remote when required.  I know we would not have the diversity of product or information so readily accessible if it were not for advertisements/sponsors.

Incidentally in a competitior's magazine only a couple of editions ago, there was a comparo of a product (air compressors maybe, sorry can't remember) but one of the products failed in the first test and they did not allow the manufacturer the ability to supply another unit.  They said if it failed for them then it would have failed for a customer who has spent their hard earned on it.  This manufacturer was also one of their sponsors/advertisers and still is, so 'no bull' test can sometimes mean 'no bull' test.

Keep up the good work Pat.

JAB

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
not quite.
http://www.cycletorque.com.au/Vale-Tony-Kirby/

holy Shit. Like I said I don't read/buy bike mags anymore.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
I bought the first issue yesterday but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I like Pat's shows and have a few DVD's so hopefully the mag is an extension of this and just as good quality.

I ran into Pat in Birdsville CP in July last year after he came out of the Simpson and we were heading south. We only had a brief chat but comes across a nice bloke.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
I ran into Pat in Birdsville CP in July last year after he came out of the Simpson and we were heading south. We only had a brief chat but comes across a nice bloke.

We ran into him at Dalhousie before he went into the Simpson - he was camped right behind us.  You can just make us out on his dvd when he gets into the Springs.  I had a chat to him and I agree that he is a top bloke!

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
The whole advertising thing is amusing to me. The whole industry is based on a couple of big players and a multitude of small businesses. These guys are the back bone of our hobby and need our support and yet so many moan about the ads. If you don't like them then just turn the page, if it is too distracting I hope you don't drive on the roads near any sort of civilisation.

Support the guys who advertise in the mags or else all your bits and pieces will end up being conceived, designed and made in Hu Flung Dung province China.

I love flicking through the ads

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
well I finished up on page 23 last night (skimmed through the whole thing now i'm reading it), love what i've read so far. this magazine is aimed 100% at what my wife & I want from a mag - I will be subscribing for sure

Pat, you should be very proud of what you and your team have created, and I thank you for bringing it to the people
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
Thanks for your feedback guys, really appreciate it. And for what it's worth, I agree on the HDR pics! A well taken single exposure pic always kills an unnatural looking pic every time around! We'll try to scale that back in future, but being the first edition we're still letting our contributors know what we like.

But seriously, thanks for your kind words. Might sound abit corny, but we put our heart into this one, so to see that we've ticked most of the boxes first crack is very gratifying.

Cheers,
pat

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
(Psst, has he gone yet?)
Righto. Who'll start the bidding on those 'Australia by 4X4' S1-3 Box Sets DVD's?
LJ  ;D
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
$15 pp ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Pat Callinan

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »
$15 pp ;D

No way, not worth fore than $3 - a buck a disc ;)

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
Good on ya Pat :cup:
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
Damn he's back!

No way, not worth fore than $3 - a buck a disc ;)

Really?  In that case...

For sale: 3x Beer Coasters.
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
What's this mag worth to buy at the newsagency?
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline AJ150

• Swag User
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
Great mag. Lets see what the next one is like.

AJ

Offline Johnny Trackabout

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • GIDDY UP...WHOO BACK
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
Congrats Pat
Have not seen the mag yet (hint hint) but am sure it will be amazing ;D If its half as good as your show its gunna be a winner

All the best mate
Cheers
JT

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
Might have to swing down and grab myself a copy tonight  :cheers:

Cheers John
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
Burnsy the shelf price is 12 bucks ....

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
I picked up a copy this arvo and it's a good read.  Nicely done Pat.  I think the balance between touring, travel and product is good.  I think you have found a niche for people like me who want to explore Australia with the family in a capable fourby and camper trailer.  ie. I'm not a lifted, custom, V8 GQ Shorty on 35" beadlocks kinda guy....

I've dropped a big hint to my wife, so hopefully Santa will bring me a subscription for Christmas. 8)
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
$12 ???  This is ground breaking.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
I picked up a copy out of intrest and think it's content is good, but my first thoughts were that it looked like one of those bride guides.
Just a note. IMO. I'd rather see more pic and less heading.

Anyway best of luck with it Pat.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
Got mine, now to find the time to read it.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies