Author Topic: Hill descent control for caravans?  (Read 4530 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Hill descent control for caravans?
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
I have a WiTi blutooth interface on my build, which replaces the need for a trailer plug. WiTi has just announced a hill descent control mod, which you can add. Here's what they say:

Integrated Brake Controller with Hill Descent Control

WiTi now offers an integrated brake controller with ground breaking Hill Descent Control. The WiTi Brake Controller connects to the Vehicle Unit with a dash mounted dial for gain adjustment and manual override. The WiTi Brake Controller offers two significant safety innovations, Hill Descent Control and Brake Smoothing.

Hill Descent Control improves safety and control when descending steep hills. All proportional brake controllers use inertia to determine the braking force applied to the brakes. The firmer the braking the more inertia is generated and braking is applied on the caravan or trailer proportionally. However, when descending steep hills the driver of the tow vehicle typically feathers the brakes to maintain speed - this generates no inertia as there is no deceleration. As a result there is no braking applied to the caravan or trailer and the tow vehicle is being pushed down the hill. WiTi Hill Descent Control eliminates this by measuring the angle of descent and applying the brakes relative to the gain setting on the dash mounted dial. The steeper the descent the more braking is applied resulting in a safer more controlled descent.

No other brake controller offers Hill Descent Control - another global innovation for WiTi.

Brake Smoothing eliminates the sharp and annoying jerking that may occur with other brake controllers. With WiTi the output to the electric brakes on the caravan or trailer is measured and smoothed electronically to provide a more comfortable and safer towing experience and eliminating harsh jerking under firm braking.

I always control descents with engine braking and wonder if a system like this might be a quick way to burn out your trailer brakes. I also wonder if it might be a quick way to get the trailer out of control in a slippery off road descent. I realise that you can adjust the gain control, but that seems a bit messy.

I am interested in any opinions on this.
https://www.witi.com.au/

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hill descent control for caravans?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Do they mean like a pendulum moving forward further because the car is pointing down hill, mimicking braking, and thus automatically increasing the trailer braking force as the hill gets steeper? Gee I wonder where I've heard that before....
Vehicle manufacturers all recommend a harsh on and off the brakes method to allow them to cool rather than keeping them gently applied in long downhill sections - along with any engine braking you can muster up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:19:35 AM by GBC »

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »
I'm with you Keith, use gears to hold speed on long hills, riding the brakes is just going to result in smoke!
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Great, a pair of 10" drum brakes trying to pull up 4-5 tons of vehicle and trailer down a steep hill by them selves.

Make sure you have the fire extinguisher in an accessible spot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:24:36 AM by boobook »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
Like most I use wi-fi and bluetooth gadgets. Never have been 100% reliable.  Trusting my car, my van, my passengers and my own life to one of these gadgets would not be on my radar.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 01:22:25 PM »
I may be wrong here but, the way I read it, is that the driver has the capacity to govern the amount of descent braking to the van, the same as they can regulate the braking when towing on the road.
If this is the case, wouldn't the driver then set the van braking to match the descent of the tug, be it compression, tug brakes or a fancy "Descent Control" setup?
It might even be helpful in the case of a big, downhill compression lockup.
Someone may have to give one a crack.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
I'm with you Keith, use gears to hold speed on long hills, riding the brakes is just going to result in smoke!
x eleventy

Do they still make the 4b Exhaust brake setup LMAO!!!!!!!!!! that was funnY!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tomo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
hi
If u must use braking upon slow crawl decent differing from going down blacktop. Better off to have a Prodigy or P3  Teknosha controller . Why because u can control ""initial brake punch "". Of course this only helps, because in a down hill creep situation the van wheels have no ABS feeding brake input to a computer that's looking for lockup .

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »
Like most I use wi-fi and bluetooth gadgets. Never have been 100% reliable.  Trusting my car, my van, my passengers and my own life to one of these gadgets would not be on my radar.

Yeah I am with you great WiFi devices work 99% of the time , what happens on the 1% ?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »
From the "Trips, Tracks, Touring" section.

"Here is our rough itinerary, I have about 4-5 nights up my sleeve to stop when we really like a spot. My main concerns are towing through Palm Creek and obviously Gunshot. The Mrs. will be shi..ing herself being only a few k's in and hitting Palm Creek. - We did the Cape July last year towing a Soft Floor camper and I felt the trailer actually help going down Palm Creek as I turned the trailer brakes up high and it helped slow the car while sliding down."
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
x eleventy

Standard equipment on the "Toyota Tonka P" model.
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
x eleventy

Standard equipment on the "Toyota Tonka"!
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
We heard ya the first time Steffo  ;D

Love how the huge mudflaps don't actually cover the wheels too.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:34:13 PM »
I didnt think any of the old ****s towing caravans mobile roadblocks ever went fast enough to need brakes... downhill or not.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
You've driven around a university that has a strong agricultural background then?

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »
I dunno what all the fuss is about, if it help when used in conjunction with the tow vehicle to help keep things in control then why not, would be especially helpful if the tow vehicle doesn't have ABS or any other electronic aids.

Stop sticking your head in the sand, embrace the future ya pack of dinosaurs ;D
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
I dunno what all the fuss is about, if it help when used in conjunction with the tow vehicle to help keep things in control then why not, would be especially helpful if the tow vehicle doesn't have ABS or any other electronic aids.

Stop sticking your head in the sand, embrace the future ya pack of dinosaurs ;D

It's been explained in detail why it's a bad idea.
Having trailer brakes constantly dragging on a long downhill stretch rather than relying on the engine breaking of the tug will result in the brakes overheating.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »
It's been explained in detail why it's a bad idea.
Having trailer brakes constantly dragging on a long downhill stretch rather than relying on the engine breaking of the tug will result in the brakes overheating.

I agree. Was just wondering if i'd missed something.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

KingBilly

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »
Some appear to be assuming this device applies the caravan brakes automatically when descending a hill. I don’t think so.

My take is that this controller determines when a caravan is going down a hill and applies a proportionally braking force (on the caravan brakes) dependent upon the downhill grade.  A steeper grade, more braking force applied.  Exactly the same as a normal proportional brake controller applies more braking force at faster speeds.  I don’t think the controller drags the van brakes automatically.  I think the caravan brakes are still only applied when the driver brakes the vehicle, like every other proportional brake controller on the market currently.

Current proportional brake controllers only apply a small braking force to the caravan brakes at slow speeds.  This new controller overcomes the lack of braking force at slow speeds which is needed going down a steep hill, otherwise the vehicle is doing all the braking.

Sounds like a good solution to me  :cup:

KB
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:13:02 PM by KingBilly »

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
KB, just re-reading the guff, I think you might be right.
Keith

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
I read as hill decent control like only some 4wd have. which is a button you push and the car controls your downhill decent, on steep tracks (not sealed roads)
In that scenario the trailer is not braking using conventional proportional controllers. With this controller as you decend a hill , with your foot on the brake the controller also slows the van.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:27:42 PM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 05:07:34 AM »
First, an old pendulum controller, when going downhill, automatically increases the trailer bias at any speed anyway - kind on the reason they used a ‘pendulum’ in the system. As the rig goes out of level it has the same effect on the pendulum as braking - simple....
Second, anybody who has actually tried towing downhill with HDC engaged, especially off-road will tell you just how hot the brakes get. Mine have started leaking melted grease past the axle caps after the hill down main range to Goomburra towing the old trakshak. It is sealed so low range wasn’t an option. I’ve seen plastic wheel nut indicators literally melt off a Ranger’s front wheels. There is no substitute for gearing and engine braking and if it isn’t enough you probably have the wrong driver or the wrong vehicle.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:35:28 AM by GBC »

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
This the same hoohah assumptions that were argued when hill decent, traction control and ABS was introduced in 4WDs(and cars) all those years ago and look now, just about every 4WD in the world has them.

I reckon until it has been used you can't really assume it will fail, technology has come a long way in electronic gadgets.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Redback
embrace the future ya pack of dinosaurs ;D
said the bloke with the '73 H2 ;)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Redback

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
said the bloke with the '73 H2 ;)

Hahahaha I do have ABS on the GS.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS