Author Topic: Companion 125w solar mat at Bunnings  (Read 69115 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Companion 125w solar mat at Bunnings
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »
Yes that's fine for Bunnings as I stated. Its the people on the counter that cop the flack.
The poor 15 year old on the counter that gets questioned why they gave them the money back.
That kid goes home and has it in their head all night they are a failure, and potentially pushes them over the edge.

You are not dealing with Bunnings when you buy a product, you are still dealing with a human who then has to answer to Bunnings.
But everyone is just worried about themselves and how much they can screw people over.
I paid $199 and I am more than happy with that price.

It's just interesting that people think they are screwing Bunnings over, when its the people on the counter who greet you with a smile and say hello to you, they are the ones you are screwing over mentally just to save $50.
Where is the Humility??????
::)
Settle petal, there are policies and procedures they go by, there has been no one breaking the rules for them to get in trouble, there was no 15yr olds (or anyone under 30) involved when I politely asked if they were able to match the price another store had already sold them at and I wasn't in any way pushy or demanding.
There will be no-one copping flack as they weren't operating outside of the what Bunnings is happy for them too.
I don't think you could have got the situation any more incorrect if you had tried.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2019, 07:39:41 AM »
I seriously doubt anyone is getting roasted, especially 15 year olds.

Bunnings has an advertised refunds policy   allowing returns without reason so likely doesn’t even hit the radar, particularly for a deleted stock item.

But if you want to rant about customers and retail, I could tell you plenty. My wife works in a hospital cafe and between the passive aggressive abuse and almost sexual harassment, a few Myswaggers wanting to get a better deal would be the least of her worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
::)
Settle petal, there are policies and procedures they go by, there has been no one breaking the rules for them to get in trouble, there was no 15yr olds (or anyone under 30) involved when I politely asked if they were able to match the price another store had already sold them at and I wasn't in any way pushy or demanding.
There will be no-one copping flack as they weren't operating outside of the what Bunnings is happy for them too.
I don't think you could have got the situation any more incorrect if you had tried.

And going by BBull's logic the guy at the Maroochydore store is an abolsute ledgend...
He has discontinued stock that is currently a clearance item sitting on his shelves marked at full price.
Give that man a pay rise!!!

A lady politely questioning the price of said clearance item that is marked at full price would hardly be cause for depression in a man as arrogant as the guy at the Maroochy store.
I have had the 'pleasure' of asking that guy for assistance once before, one gets the feeling he was destined for greater things in his life and he doesn't hide his contempt for people whenever he's asked to give customer service.

But right now I am feeling terribly guilty about those 30 boxes of stainless steel bolts I bought from Bunning on clearance for $1 per box.
How dare Bunnings discontinue a product line and want to clear it from their shelves. They should be ashamed.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2019, 08:12:13 AM »
Got mine for $120 this morning, seems that's within the wriggle room quite easily, and that was for one or 3.

Admittedly our store needs to keep their sales high so they can show they can trade through the drought, so not too worried. They've wiped out the smaller guys on the whole, so you have to try to keep them here now.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
Got mine for $120 this morning

$120 is a great price, at about $1/W. There will almost always be someone that ends up picking one up for next to nothing right at the end when managers just want the last one to go, but if you wait for that there is a chance you will miss out all together. (Speaking from experience)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Whether you bought one for $149 ( I bought 2 at that price) or one for $50 you still saved $$$ compared to the prices of other brands.

I now have a total of 450watts of solar blankets ( already had a 200 watt blanket) that will come in handy in the future when we buy our van and run lithium batteries. Will add another 300 watts worth of panels on the roof of the van also. Total of 750 watts of solar at my disposal.   ;D when we continue our adventures,  working and traveling Australia.

A big thank you to the OP for posting this up , his commission must be big  ;D

Like all of us, Bunnings is a great place for the bargains and I am sure I am not the only one that tells the misses I have to go and check my mail that has been redirected to the nearest bunnings.  ;D

Mark
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:23:17 AM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
The poor 15 year old on the counter that gets questioned why they gave them the money back.
That kid goes home and has it in their head all night they are a failure, and potentially pushes them over the edge.

there are policies and procedures they go by, there has been no one breaking the rules for them to get in trouble, there was no 15yr olds (or anyone under 30) involved when I politely asked ... and I wasn't in any way pushy or demanding.

Backing up what TA said, the "young bloke" who I spoke to was in his early-20s. I showed him the receipt, said that the day after I'd bought the panel, the price had dropped $50, & asked (& i think these were my exact words?) "Big ask I know, but any chance of a refund of the $50"? If he'd said No, I would have laughed & politely said, "Ah well, it was worth a try - thanks, mate" & gone & paid for the other item I had in my hand, & thought nothing more of it except maybe "Bugger - blew $50 that time" :'(

But no, he said "Yep, not a problem" & put it through then & there. At the very least I would have expected him to call a manager to get the OK but he didn't even hesitate, so I'm thinking it must be policy?

As to "getting reamed by his manager" - you did see the :D at the end of the sentence, didn't you? :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »
To go into a shop with all guns blazing to save 50 bucks is just plain wrong.

You do realise in some countries it is considered rude to accept the first price and not bargain :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »
Whether you bought one for $149 ( I bought 2 at that price) or one for $50 you still saved $$$ compared to the prices of other brands.

& lots of them - $399 at Tentworld for apparently the same item & $799 :o at Anaconda for very similar!

I now have a total of 450watts of solar blankets ( already had a 200 watt blanket) that will come in handy in the future when we buy our van and run lithium batteries.

On that - the manual (yes, I'll admit - I looked at it :-[) very strongly warns to NOT use this blanket for lithium batteries ??? Can anybody explain why not ??? I thought that if solar was coming through a regulator into a battery of any sort, then it was OK & the type of panel generating the power wouldn't make any difference ???

I am sure I am not the only one that tells the misses I have to go and check my mail that has been redirected to the nearest bunnings.

Nah, it's just that I've got to get smoko ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
within weeks there will be something better for cheaper.. thats life.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »
On that - the manual (yes, I'll admit - I looked at it :-[) very strongly warns to NOT use this blanket for lithium batteries ??? Can anybody explain why not ??? I thought that if solar was coming through a regulator into a battery of any sort, then it was OK & the type of panel generating the power wouldn't make any difference ???
You’re not the only one that reads everything... ;D

They are referring to the controller.
The panels would be fine, but you’ll need a lithium charger.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
You’re not the only one that reads everything... ;D

They are referring to the controller.
The panels would be fine, but you’ll need a lithium charger.

Yes I knew the controller was not comparable for lithium but I have a lithium mppt controller already on the 200watt blanket but will set up another one for the car and when we get the van it will have a lithium setup for the solar also.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
Last night I got 2x kits for $75 each.

My local Bunnings also offered me the 44amp hr power pack for $75.

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/power-cooling/generators/companion-44ah-power-pack/BP90133490

Winner winner.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:33:30 AM by Paul (SA) »
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »
Yes that's fine for Bunnings as I stated. Its the people on the counter that cop the flack.

You are not dealing with Bunnings when you buy a product, you are still dealing with a human who then has to answer to Bunnings.
But everyone is just worried about themselves and how much they can screw people over.
I paid $199 and I am more than happy with that price.

It's just interesting that people think they are screwing Bunnings over, when its the people on the counter who greet you with a smile and say hello to you, they are the ones you are screwing over mentally just to save $50.
Where is the Humility??????
The 15 yo won't get questioned, he has a set of rules to work to and they do, it's no skin of his nose if he gives you money back and he is certainly not authorised  to give discounts and you can bet you bottom dollar Bunnings aren't losing money on the deal, probably Companion aren't losing money either, the guys here that are paying $75 are probably only getting close to the landed cost for the panels

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
Last night I got 2x kits for $75 each.

My local Bunnings also offered me the 44amp hr power pack for $75.

Wow - saw them but didn't check the price (notice they're no longer up on the website either though)

Currently got a Waeco RAPS 36 pack, but a 44 for $75 would be really nice :D - I could see that becoming the in-use battery while the 36 moves to the shed for power out there :D

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Just an FYI for anyone who may be interested.

As others have mentioned, it's a tight fit to get the cables, regulator and adapters in the supplied bag, and the legs just don't fit at all.
I've grabbed a canvas bag which is designed for the Jimmy's Thunderbox (dunny). The panel inside the provided bag fits in it fairly neatly but with enough room for all the other stuff (which I put inside the plastic bag that came with the legs in it).

The online price is $40 (includes shipping) or if you live nearby (Bendigo) they are $35 at the factory.

https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=171
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »
I picked one up this afternoon from the Epping store, they have 7 left. I asked if they would price match $75 and he said no, he told me discounting is store and stock dependant, he gave it to me for $120. Net cost was $20 as I had a $100 gift voucher that I've been looking for something to spend on. Haven't tested it out yet as it is overcast :(
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
Was in the Northmead store this arvo and saw about 9 panels @$199.00 ea.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
Hopefully they still have a few left around the brisbane area when I get back from work in 9 days next Thursday

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
Well mine is now on the back seat of the car. Aligator clips, reg and stand left behind.  In a couple of days, it will be thrown on the roof basket while I go for a little walk. Last time I went for the same walk, I got back to a low voltage cutout fridge. I was on the road in a couple of hours back then, so no real drama. This time, I wont leave until the following morning, so the panels are coming. For the record, my projecta mat is always in the car, but this new one needs a workout.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
Good luck with the trip

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2019, 08:59:40 PM »
Great post & I just wanted to make an offer.

I hope nobody minds my post.

If anyone wants/needs a quote for a canvas bag for the cables or Stand please send a message through. Let me know the measurements that you require the bag.
Sarah's canvas products.

Sarah

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0
The following users thanked this post: Paddler Ed

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
Great post & I just wanted to make an offer.

I hope nobody minds my post.

If anyone wants/needs a quote for a canvas bag for the cables or Stand please send a message through. Let me know the measurements that you require the bag.
Sarah's canvas products.

Sarah

I was thinking the same thing there Sarah, maybe the price needs to be adjusted to match the price payed for the panel, those who badgered Bunnings down pay more and us other folk who paid less😀
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
Can't praise Sarah enough for work she's done for me over the last few years.
Always helpful, and makes sure she's clear about what you want.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »
Anyone had any luck getting their hands on one or two in Perth?