Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127734 times)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
I signed up to TPG and was promised 50mbps.

less than 2 weeks later receive a letter saying at best, I'll get 12 mbps, but I get a $10 credit to offset the inconvenience...….

Go and get farked...you slimy dingwing knob feckers.

Talk about marketing hype and crap.

Bailed out and am going wireless giving me at least 25mbps.

Another gubberment feck up.
Seriously who of you fools are voting for these clowns???

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2018, 09:01:27 PM »
I signed up to TPG and wasn't promised anything. I looked at my local mudmap and by estimates I would get max 38 mbps, so signed up for 25.  A year later I still get approx 23 mbps, the same as when I joined.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Our TPG was connected last week at the supposed 44.5 Mbps plan. But the speed is all over the shop. The best we have ever done is 38 and this morning it is 0.61. When you sign up they insist that you waive your rights under the government's Performance Guarantee. Now I can see why.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

KingBilly

« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Our TPG was connected last week at the supposed 44.5 Mbps plan. But the speed is all over the shop. The best we have ever done is 38 and this morning it is 0.61. When you sign up they insist that you waive your rights under the government's Performance Guarantee. Now I can see why.
Keith

And that is why I gave TPG a miss.  You still have full rights with Aussie.

Have you tried turning your modem off for a few minutes and back on?

KB

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »
What type do most people have ?

Who has fiber to the kerb and your experiences ? The upper mountains got Fiber to the node and are having all sorts of issues, we are supposedly getting it to the kerb next year.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2018, 08:06:05 AM »
I signed up to TPG and was promised 50mbps.

less than 2 weeks later receive a letter saying at best, I'll get 12 mbps, but I get a $10 credit to offset the inconvenience...….

Go and get farked...you slimy dingwing knob feckers.

Talk about marketing hype and crap.

Bailed out and am going wireless giving me at least 25mbps.

Another gubberment feck up.
Seriously who of you fools are voting for these clowns???
I dont vote, got an exemption because I'm too old and cynical

Must admit I am much happier since I left Telstra and went to Aussie, no issues and they keep you well informed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »
Well after several weeks, we still have very poor internet, it drops out randomly and will give 5 mins of nothing about 6 - 10 times a day that we notice.
Although it is a bit better then last week, at my insistence, a guy came out and pinged the lines, found a few faults and sorted them and showed me on the flash new TDR they use. he said it is all good to the ..... (The something or other) but the exchange is now the fault and there is no known date for it to be sorted.
The old cable system was better still, we apparently are on an automatic system which logs the drop outs of service and self reports to save us calling the sods in the Philippians all the time.
Oh, and the phone line is still crap, which did work well before.
Can't help but think the money spent on this rubbish would = the cost of a high speed rail from Brissy to Melbourne with a few stops on the way, something like a TGV train, and I bet it would work a lot better.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »
I've got FTTP 100/40mbs since I could get it years ago. First in the street. Installers were mediocre to say the least. I'd done half the work to make it easy for them and it still took the over 5 hours. Best I managed at the start was 96mbs, now about 90-92 mbs. Any problems have been sorted out quickly and there hasn't been many. Had tried some small providers, TPG, Dodo back in the old days with dial up and ended up with Internode. Kept them when I switched to NBN. Maybe not the cheapest but why change when I'm happy.

KingBilly

« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:21 PM »
Internode was bought by iinet which was bought by TPG.  Glad you are happy with TPG  ;D

KB

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »
What type do most people have ?

Who has fiber to the kerb and your experiences ? The upper mountains got Fiber to the node and are having all sorts of issues, we are supposedly getting it to the kerb next year.
We do and it’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »
Quote from: KeithB
When you sign up they insist that you waive your rights under the government's Performance Guarantee. Now I can see why.
hows that work?

Interesting that out of Optus, Telstra, TPG, Aussie.. only Telstra says they can do Fibre to the premises

Telstra... Great news! You can connect to the nbn™ network via Fibre to the Premises technology.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:26:13 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #286 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
?

Who has fiber to the kerb and your experiences ?

Another with FTTP, couldn't be happier, never has a dropout in 4 years or so.
Just did this speed test while streaming the cricket through Kayo and casting it to the big TV.
One daughter is watching netflix whilst downloading a movie.
Another on is on UTube .

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #287 on: January 06, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
Well, we still have SFA compared to the old system.
3 guys have come out now to apparently fix it, but no results as yet, still slower (when it works) then before and they don't know why. We have friends 3 streets over that have NBN working very well.
So we asked to swap back to how it was until they fix the issue, no chance.
I tried to watch the all4adventure show just now, 5 mins in and it drops out. 1 drop out per hour is the average.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
Ive done my homework and after we sell here in Melbourne and go bush, Aussie Broadband is the way to go.
A poll taken Friday night at the local puts them streets ahead of the big T.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »
Quote from: Kangaron
Ive done my homework and after we sell here in Melbourne and go bush, Aussie Broadband is the way to go.
A poll taken Friday night at the local puts them streets ahead of the big T.

Yea I'm with Optus at moment, have been 18odd years, Sydney and Melb, and also in a few houses.. never really had an problem - except for late payment of account while on holidays.. If I could get same with them as Aussie, I'd consider staying, but currently my uploads are ****in hideous - on 25 plan... gettin 22/4 :(

But wondering if I can get better with Aussie... Like the 100 plan but dont think I really need it
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »
22/4 on a 25/5 plan ain't what I'd call hideous, Bird >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #292 on: January 15, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
22/4 on a 25/5 plan ain't what I'd call hideous, Bird >:D
is on torrents where you need 1:1
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

3rd time lucky

« Reply #293 on: January 15, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
Didn't get a choice. Last Christmas our internet just suddenly stopped working. After many phone calls it was revealed that our carrier at the time had conveniently forgotten to advise us that we had to switch to NBN.
Anyways, 12 months on I cannot really tell the difference to be honest, and my phone on 4g at home seems just as quick (wifi off, just in case smart a's make a joke). Would dearly love to do away with it altogether in truth.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #294 on: January 15, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
Just been on hold for 20 mins to optus waiting for sales to see what they can do for me

Got to sales, then had to be put through to someone else...45 mins on hold with them unsure if I Was actually put through to a human or just some dummy line to make you want to hang up, gave up. hung up.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

3rd time lucky

« Reply #295 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:15 PM »
Just been on hold for 20 mins to optus waiting for sales to see what they can do for me

Got to sales, then had to be put through to someone else...45 mins on hold with them unsure if I Was actually put through to a human or just some dummy line to make you want to hang up, gave up. hung up.
The best outcome for both parties. Congratulations and welcome to the glorious age of Telco companies....ho hum

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »
Quote from: 3rd time lucky
Congratulations and welcome to the glorious age of Telco companies....ho hum
Well after more than 18 years with optus, 4 houses in 2 states, I think its time to give up. They couldnt even spell Customer Service - let alone supply any form of it.

I'll state that the only reason for thinking of staying is the pain of trying to cancel your plan (see Whirlpool optus section) - many have suicided trying...

and also how many companies and people you have to contact to change your email address.. (councils, telstra, insurance, gas/elec, etc etc oh and family and friends)...

anyway......

All I wanted to do was upgrade my NBN plan from the original NBN we were forced to accept after they cut us off, to the current fastest plan with no rubbish just internet. Could there be anything easier? Should be 1 call, 10-20 minutes tops?

Well I've been on hold long enough for Dominos to actually deliver dinner, hung up on 4 times - once earlier, then twice tonight, and once last week. I've been put on hold long enough for pizza to be cold, transferred to 5 separate people/teams, - then thought I'd got somewhere but.. hung up on again. Then some other bloke with a fake aussie name said he'd get someone to call me back. And strike me dead - they did... then had to put me on hold... Hold = Hang up on you.

I'll add that the plan is in her name - she has about 5 times in teh past added my name to the account, yet everytime I've spoken to them ever, I dont exist... even tonight after she screamed down the phone at them, I somehow wasnt there..

The final straw after ANOTHER 45 minutes on hold, I get told I need the "CUSTOMER SERVICE" department. but they closed 45 minutes ago - which makes sense why he hung up on me 50 odd minutes ago he wanted to go home.

I wanted to stay with them is I've been happy with the internet itself, and changing email addy's after this many years I thought would be painful - but i think its time to let everyone know I'll be using Gmail from now on, and the pain will be worth it..

Well the last clown promised me a call back tomorrow, but I should have some bad news for "steven" (Im sure they make up the names as they answer the phones) LMAO

Am I expecting too much? Or is this the normal these days?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #297 on: January 25, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »
How do you get better speed from an NBN Company, when it all comes down Inadequate servers and distribution systems?

Do Aussie broadband supply you on a separate system?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2019, 07:10:21 AM »
How do you get better speed from an NBN Company, when it all comes down Inadequate servers and distribution systems?

Do Aussie broadband supply you on a separate system?

Aussie Broadband don’t oversell their CVC...

They always endeavour to keep spare capacity on their links so congestion doesn’t become an issue.

Yes, some of the delivery network is still rubbish (FTTN and Fixed Wireless) but that is out of their hands...

Other providers buy just enough CVC and that’s when you get congestion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingBilly

« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/nbn-customers-urged-to-check-if-they’re-entitled-to-a-refund

The ACCC is encouraging NBN customers experiencing slow connection speeds to contact their retail service provider (RSP) as they may be eligible for a refund following undertakings it has negotiated with RSPs over the last 15 months.

Telstra, Optus, TPG, iiNet, Internode, Dodo, iPrimus and Commander have each admitted that they likely made false or misleading representations about the connection speeds NBN customers with fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) and fibre-to-the-building (FTTB) connections could experience.

These RSPs advertised and sold NBN plans with maximum theoretical speeds (e.g. 100 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 40 Mbps upload) when, due to the limitations of FTTN and FTTB technologies, many consumers could never experience these speeds.

KB
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:09:25 AM by KingBilly »
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan