Author Topic: Latest scam  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Latest scam
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
Just had a call from the so called national phone call register looking to get my financials as when I registered for the Do Not Call Register some years ago I didn't update my details and pin for activation.
When I enquired why she needed a credit card number and pin for a free service she tried to tell me there will now be an annual fee. I said that's alright then I,ll remove my listing from the register rather than pay any fees and just run an answering machine. Surprise, surprise she hung up.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Latest scam
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:58 AM »
sadly most are that pissed off with spammer calls they would be happy to pay...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

TimE

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
Many colleagues of mine have received calls from the "ATO".
They have to pay otherwise they will be arrested.
The scammers are getting bolder.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »
I've had 2 calls from an automated service that says my internet has been compromised and will disconnect in one day.....then says to press 1......I hang up.
Internet still going OK !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
I got scammed big time a while ago.

Some woman told me she would love me "till death do us part" and take care of me etc etc.....

Turns out it was just a scam. All she does now she access to the bank account is spend my money and give me nothing in return except grief.
And getting out of the contract is horrendously expensive.

WHY DID NO ONE EARN ME ABOUT THIS SCAM??????

:'( :'( :'( ;D ;D ;D
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36:02 PM »

Some woman told me she would love me "till death do us part" and take care of me etc etc.....

Turns out it was just a scam. All she does now she access to the bank account is spend my money and give me nothing in return except grief.

WHY DID NO ONE EARN ME ABOUT THIS SCAM?????

There are just some things you need to put down to a " life lesson learnt"
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »

WHY DID NO ONE EARN ME ABOUT THIS SCAM??????

You wanna hope she doesn't access my swag.......that spending is nothing like it could be ........ :cheers: :cheers: :police:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
https://www.scamwatch.gov.au

For $100 I can assist in keeping you updated on scams before I they do them.

Omuya Ripuoff ( my Nigerian name)

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:41:31 PM »
Here is another one I've come across, As the treasurer of a sporting body I have had at least 5 emails purporting to be from the Chairman or President of the association, usually titled as urgent and stating that they have an account that requires immediate payment and asking me to respond so that they can send me the payment details. When I've checked the email address of the sender it doesn't match with the relevant persons correct address. So far they have been fairly amateurish attempts as in they don't know how we operate and in one case probably of Asian origin as they used my surname in place of my christian name.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »
Quote from: IanS
Here is another one I've come across, As the treasurer of a sporting body I have had at least 5 emails purporting to be from the Chairman or President of the association, usually titled as urgent and stating that they have an account that requires immediate payment and asking me to respond so that they can send me the payment details.
When I've checked the email address of the sender it doesn't match with the relevant persons correct address.
So far they have been fairly amateurish attempts as in they don't know how we operate and in one case probably of Asian origin as they used my surname in place of my christian name.

Yep our 4wd club has had a few of them but  with title "are you there" or similar...

My workplace had one 3-4yrs ago from the MD to Finance boss - both with names and email signatures as well... that nearly cost $25000 except for a financial boss who hated giving any $ out at all.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:05 AM »
I'll have to keep an eye on that as I am the treasurer of a club.  I usually know which bills are coming in.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 08:43:15 AM »
We had one arrive via e-mail titled "Your latest Telstra account", but which Outlook through into spam.

I saw it there, wondered, then saw it came from some random low-life's e-mail address, not Telstra, so that one got deleted without opening :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

3rd time lucky

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
We had one arrive via e-mail titled "Your latest Telstra account", but which Outlook through into spam.

I saw it there, wondered, then saw it came from some random low-life's e-mail address, not Telstra, so that one got deleted without opening :D
Email bills from Telstra are what is known as "legitimate" scams

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 07:51:17 AM »
Latest Scam caller, Wants to make Australia "   Errr Himself " Greater again and AGAINNNNN !!!!  from the tax payers pockets .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:47:44 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
Had one recently from an organisation we regularly use transport for compliance purposes (specifically - NHVAS auditing). This company runs all their emails through their "info@........." email address, which is where the email came from.

Email asked my to log into a google drive file to acess their newest project, which I inadvertently tried, but it didn't open straight away and I suddenly twigged that something wasn't right so closed the web page.

I then tried to forward the email back to the legitimate address by typing in the "info@....." address instead of just replying to the email. I asked if it was a proper email or spam. I received an almost instant reply from a name I had never associated with the company saying it was all good and I just needed to open the file to view the new project.

I ignored it.

About 5 minutes later I got a text message from the true owner of the business saying their email system had been comprimised and not to respond to any emails from them until the issue had been sorted.

NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 07:03:38 AM »
l do enjoy a long chat with our international friends that claim  to be in Melb/Syd/Bris  . l usually ask them how they went with the floods/heat/snow , if they tell its all good l unload on them big time .

lt is nice that somebody rings me as my phone is mostly to tell me the time .      :'(  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
 ;D ;D
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
;D ;D
lts sad you don't ring me  , but then again only telly marketers ring me  .  Only because they are paid to do so  .
Sadly they get me on the other end of  the line   .      ;D               :cup:                    :cheers:

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
Had another one today, answer phone to hello mr p....... I'm calling from (indecipherable ) about a feedback form you or a member of your family filled out. I asked what was the product or service was we provided the feedback on and at what store or business. She went round and round in circles, asked if I was (initials, name and address straight out of phone book). Asked if she was fishing for my full name, no she replies so I revert to product and store question again. By now she's getting the Shits up as I am talking over her, I quickly apologise and say I forgot to tell you the call is being recorded for investigative purposes. Beep, beep, beep, she hung up. Rude!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »
I hadnt got any of these calls for couple of months...
then they started again this week :( never answer em, but google the number... the number is regularly easy to spot, double or triple numbers in a row and from interstate, although the recent ones have been 'localish' numbers.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
Had one the other day "I'm calling from TMS Market research, would you be able to answer some questions?"

Question back to them:
"who are you working for?"
TMS MR...
"No, who are you collecting data for?"
TMS MR
"No, there's a customer at the end of the day, who are you selling the data to?"
Ah, I don't know...
"You can't answer my questions, so I'm not answering yours"

Ended quite amicably.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
Phone rings
l answer it saying  ,, lCl  Explosives we deal in Big Bangs can l help you  ??? ???

Beep , Beep  , Beep    dam theres nobody there                       :cheers: :cheers: :laugh:

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
Phone rings
l answer it saying  ,, lCl  Explosives we deal in Big Bangs can l help you  ??? ???

Beep , Beep  , Beep    dam theres nobody there                       :cheers: :cheers: :laugh:

Been a while since you have played with bombs Jamie , has not been ICI for years . Orica is the new ICI .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »
Been a while since you have played with bombs Jamie , has not been ICI for years . Orica is the new ICI .
l know this ,, You know this ,,  but nobody else knows this                >:D
So are you trying to tell me the lCl stuff is almost as unstable as me ….. l know where you keep your  :cheers: so don't come the funny with me Big Fellow   .      :cheers: :laugh: