Author Topic: Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted  (Read 14503 times)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
So, I’m not a big fan of 4WD Supacentre or their gear. But I’ve been thinking we need to downsize our camping collection. Given that we still have two single swags, our Oztent, the double swag/bed roll for the tent, and now the camper... well it’s a bit out of hand!

We’ve been considering moving on the tent and swags for something a bit more compact - easier to store, take on trips where we’d prefer not to tow, and more suitable to throw in the Jimny for beach camping trips.

The Big Daddy swags caught my eye purely because of their size. A double swag that large would be a suitable option for our needs. But I know little more about them or what else is around that compares. What is the quality like? What kind of life-expectancy would they have? Anyone have one and able to provide some honest feedback?

Also, who else is making a swag that does compare? I haven’t looked at swags in years, but the double swags back then were a good bit smaller than this one... Are there any Aussie/higher quality brands making something that size that we should take a look at?

Thanks!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
Quote from: trinityalyce
. Given that we still have two single swags, our Oztent, the double swag/bed roll for the tent, and now the camper... well it’s a bit out of hand!
out of hand? I dont feel so bad about my shed collection now... LMAO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
We have had southern cross swag (and tent) for ever can't fault, except price. But then again like the discussion over in the ultimate camper thread, there is that debate between Aussie quality and higher price against cheaper priced Chinese imports. I'm glad Southern Cross has lasted into the new world and hope they survive.
Kings swags look ok, and certainly enable a family to get camping gear well priced.

I see southern cross now do a king size swag as their double is really a large single
https://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/product/king-dome-swag/

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
out of hand? I dont feel so bad about my shed collection now... LMAO

That just the collection of gear I cared to mention!

Along with everything else we’re storing in our garage “just in case” it’s surprising we even have room in there for a car!
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
That just the collection of gear I cared to mention!

Along with everything else we’re storing in our garage “just in case” it’s surprising we even have room in there for a car!

You can get a car in? 😂😂😂

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
You can get a car in?

Just about! Remember I drive a Jimny, it doesn’t need a lot of room!

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
Will there be room in the car for the two 2m lengths of poly pipe to hold up the  sagging side walls?

https://youtu.be/QRWUjjY0Eq4

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
Will there be room in the car for the two 2m lengths of poly pipe to hold up the  sagging side walls?

But honestly this is the kind of feedback that’s good to know. We may look to get a tent that folds more compact (can’t say I like the idea of the Oztent on the Jimny roof racks - might be longer than the car! ) but first are considering what’s around in swags.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »
We have had southern cross swag (and tent) for ever can't fault, except price. But then again like the discussion over in the ultimate camper thread, there is that debate between Aussie quality and higher price against cheaper priced Chinese imports. I'm glad Southern Cross has lasted into the new world and hope they survive.
Kings swags look ok, and certainly enable a family to get camping gear well priced.

I see southern cross now do a king size swag as their double is really a large single
https://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/product/king-dome-swag/

They look like a great product, but sadly at that price and for our purpose (limited use) I can’t say it’s feasible.

While I’d rather pay more for something that’s quality when it’s something I’ll use often, it isn’t a practical option when we’d probably only use a swag a handful of times each year at most...

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »

that is ridiculous that someone would need to do that with a swag....get what you pay for by the looks of it
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
that is ridiculous that someone would need to do that with a swag....get what you pay for by the looks of it
To be fair it’s probably not a problem confined to this particular brand. There is a fair bit of unsupported weight in that much canvas on a large dome swag.
I am thinking about upgrading from the old style flat one I use to a dome but just not sure ...
when I see dome tents with thin poles with their walls billowing in in the wind I am happy that with a flat swag the wind goes straight over the top. I just pull the canvas up over my head.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Geez, the swag I've got is 30 plus years old, not anything like a tent, more like a bed roll.
Roll it out, hope in, rains throw the head flap over your noggin and away you go. Waterproof, doesn't catch the wind and tools up to about 900mm high and 450mm in diameter with mattress and a couple of old army blankets inside.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Mangrovematt

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »
I brought one for our annual beach fishing trip, as I didn’t want to drag the camper every time,
Seasoned it over a week of hosing and drying off in the sun each day, small leak on day 1 as expected with new seams, day 2 no leaks, went for the big daddy delux 75mm mattress, nice and dence can’t feel the ground through it, max 5 mins to set up and pack down, there is a few cheats on youtube to assist with the saging side canvas, basically a occy strap from the left hand side of the bow down to a peg then up to the right hand side of the bow, do this either end of the swag ,she pulls up nice and taunt,
They roll up the same size as a standard swag but they are just twice as wide,
 Really happy with it,
Matt
LC 79 Dual cab ,  Camel beachcomber x4 humps

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
To be fair it’s probably not a problem confined to this particular brand. There is a fair bit of unsupported weight in that much canvas on a large dome swag.
I am thinking about upgrading from the old style flat one I use to a dome but just not sure ...
when I see dome tents with thin poles with their walls billowing in in the wind I am happy that with a flat swag the wind goes straight over the top. I just pull the canvas up over my head.
don't have that issue with my Darche swag, it's been in torrential downpours and no sagging issues at all. In saying that, mine has 3 hoop poles and 2 centre spreaders that make it much sturdier then those appear to be https://darche.com.au/product/dirtydee-1100/

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Do you guys sleep out in the open or set up under a tarp or some form of cover?

I have a Bourke and Wills swag. I prefer to set up on a stretcher and under some form of cover.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
don't have that issue with my Darche swag, it's been in torrential downpours and no sagging issues at all. In saying that, mine has 3 hoop poles and 2 centre spreaders that make it much sturdier then those appear to be https://darche.com.au/product/dirtydee-1100/
The 1400mm wide version of your Darche swag just went on the list to check out. Only 100mm narrower than the Kings one, which we can live with...

I brought one for our annual beach fishing trip, as I didn’t want to drag the camper every time,
Seasoned it over a week of hosing and drying off in the sun each day, small leak on day 1 as expected with new seams, day 2 no leaks, went for the big daddy delux 75mm mattress, nice and dence can’t feel the ground through it, max 5 mins to set up and pack down, there is a few cheats on youtube to assist with the saging side canvas, basically a occy strap from the left hand side of the bow down to a peg then up to the right hand side of the bow, do this either end of the swag ,she pulls up nice and taunt,
They roll up the same size as a standard swag but they are just twice as wide,
 Really happy with it,
Matt
Thanks for the good feedback! Will look into your solution for the sagging canvas, too.

Geez, the swag I've got is 30 plus years old, not anything like a tent, more like a bed roll.
Roll it out, hope in, rains throw the head flap over your noggin and away you go. Waterproof, doesn't catch the wind and tools up to about 900mm high and 450mm in diameter with mattress and a couple of old army blankets inside.
That's basically what we have now - we've only used it as a bed roll inside the Oztent though (kept the bedding protected on the roof of the car regardless of weather, dust, etc.). My last single swag was also that design and it did me fine (was a cheapy one I picked up as a broke student so was pretty worn out when I upgraded to a hoop-style single swag that's practically brand new...). But now there's the two of us, a dog, and we're softer thanks to the comfort of the camper! 😂

I have a Bourke and Wills swag. I prefer to set up on a stretcher and under some form of cover.
When we swagged it we set up under the car awning, and have side walls/shade cloth we used as needed based on the weather. I *do* prefer the stretchers when you're sleeping in them a lot, but this time around it'll only be the short trips so we're not bothering with a stretcher.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
We’ve had the deluxe version for about 18 months. Great space, good quality. We use two extra guide ropes on each end, makes it nice and taught.
Two people to roll up works well. We have been very happy with it so far. It has been out some heavy rain and stayed dry.

We bought it for the same reasons, extra when we don’t want to tow the camper.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline oddsocks

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
Checkout the Crashpad Double. Same specs as Kings but way better quality and cheaper than the Southern Cross

https://crashpadgear.com/collections/swags/products/swag-crashpad-double

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
...it’s surprising we even have room in there for a car!

wait... you put a car in your garage?

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »

Used to sleep in a swag on the ground but age had seen me too graduate to a stretcher. Just too hard getting up off the ground in the morning.
Have an awning off the side of my Prado to keep the dew off with a couple of walls for some extra protection if needed.
Tent is used if staying in one place more than a couple of days.
Works for me.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

We looked at the 3 hoop pole versions before going with the Kings. Went the Kings as we are all tall and reckon we would kick the middle one getting in and out. We easily fix the sagging by using a ocky straps on each end and it seems to work pretty well. We use the same peg to attach that is used for the swag flap

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 07:36:40 PM »
We looked at the 3 hoop pole versions before going with the Kings. Went the Kings as we are all tall and reckon we would kick the middle one getting in and out. We easily fix the sagging by using a ocky straps on each end and it seems to work pretty well. We use the same peg to attach that is used for the swag flap
fair enough, can't say i have ever hit the centre pole myself, but understand some people would prefer the bigger opening for getting in and out of.....i just prefer not having to use guy ropes at all on mine, the opening size being less of an issue to me.

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 09:43:50 PM »
I have a Darche 1400mm wide dusk to dawn swag  and love it , sagging walls don't seem to be a great problem and has plenty of room for the missus and me,

We  had a Sahara Drover  prior to that it leaked  in all four corners where the canvas joined the base so we sent it back after a two week Tassie trip and was able to get a full refund which was good,  there was also another couple on the trip with the same swag and it leaked just as much as ours, dont get one of these!!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:21:29 PM by timetogo »
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:55 PM »
For $190 you cant go wrong with the kings swag

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
fair enough, can't say i have ever hit the centre pole myself, but understand some people would prefer the bigger opening for getting in and out of.....i just prefer not having to use guy ropes at all on mine, the opening size being less of an issue to me.
Will say it might not have had any foundation in actual fact just a point we thought of at the time  ;D