Author Topic: Re: Have you found a bargain - 2018 version  (Read 24491 times)

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Have you found a bargain - 2018 version
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2018, 06:04:18 PM »
Ah, the classic the land is worth more than the house sitting on it.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
Very nice, Ottawa be happy with that!  :cup:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
Back on topic.
Today we paid the deposit on the a fully renovated house that we just bought in Brisbane for the grand total of $40k...

You will have to start a thread on it, I have often wondered about transporting a house like that to a block of land so will be interesting to see what the hurdles are along the way. One that I have read of is finance, basically, the problem is a bank won't give you a loan to do it, they will revalue what you have once you have a certificate of occupancy and you can then remortgage at the new value but you need to be able to fund it in the short term at least.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
will be interesting to see what the hurdles are along the way.

One big hurdle, it’s a huge hurdle actually... Local Council..
They hate relocated houses. :(

They put strict guidelines for how the house looks from the street and make you pay a $20k bond, if they’re not happy with the finished job they won’t sign it off and keep the bond until it’s up to their standards.
That’s why we only looked at places already renovated and had good facades. This one is a traditional double gable with a good pitch on the roof.

This is a granny flat for the inlaws, so has to be under 90m2. We got lucky with this one, it’s 88m2 and is the right shape to fit on one truck. Essentially a door to door delivery, all in one piece.

Fortunately we’re not dealing with banks, but I know they will cover the council bond, I assume that means they could cover the house as well.

Will start a thread at move time.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »
You will have to start a thread on it, I have often wondered about transporting a house like that to a block of land so will be interesting to see what the hurdles are along the way. One that I have read of is finance, basically, the problem is a bank won't give you a loan to do it, they will revalue what you have once you have a certificate of occupancy and you can then remortgage at the new value but you need to be able to fund it in the short term at least.
we've had to go in and repair a house that was moved onto a block before....the way they rejoined the rafters in the roof after they had cut them to lay the roof down for transport was an absolute joke. Watching the house mover guys on Outback Truckers doesn't fill me with confidence in thier building either.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »
Pete your right the council are the 1st problem, what will no consistent policy for secondary buildings wastewater reports etc. Then there is the building certifier.
The certifier is going to want the house to be brought up to the current National Construction Code (2016) standard. This will affect things like wind loading ratings, tie down points, fire codes, energy efficiency certificates, glazing, certificates for aspects like waterproofing, glazing of shower screens etc.
See if you can get any certificates (form 16) you can from the current owner relating to the existing renovations. Mind you most of these certificates attach to the existing land and not the house so may not be acceptable.

Good score and good luck.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
Pete your right the council are the 1st problem, what will no consistent policy for secondary buildings wastewater reports etc. Then there is the building certifier.
The certifier is going to want the house to be brought up to the current National Construction Code (2016) standard. This will affect things like wind loading ratings, tie down points, fire codes, energy efficiency certificates, glazing, certificates for aspects like waterproofing, glazing of shower screens etc.
See if you can get any certificates (form 16) you can from the current owner relating to the existing renovations. Mind you most of these certificates attach to the existing land and not the house so may not be acceptable.

Good score and good luck.
Funny you mention the building certifier....
I rang my guy that I used to approve our main house and the extension and the 2nd bathroom and the new shed and the 2nd driveway before I bought this house.
He was more then happy to take my money on all of the other work, but straight up declined to do anything for the relocated house.

Doesn’t surprise me though, why would you take on a job where you might have to do something more then stamp a piece of paper  for your hundreds and hundreds of dollars....

Plenty of other fish in the sea and the next phone call was to a company that was more then happy to work with relocated places.

You’re correct with everything needing to be brought up to current codes.
We did have an issue with bushfire zones, but looks like that is resolved.
My engineer is currently drawing up the plans for tying down the trusses and bracing. We’re all good with energy efficiency and glazing.

Thanks for mentioning getting the certificates from the work that’s been done recently.
That’s a great point and the current/former owner is a great guy, I’m sure he’ll be more then happy to give me what he can.

@rumpig,
I happened to look at a house in the yard of the company that was in outback truckers recently.
They absolutely hacked the trusses into pieces, I couldn’t see anyway to make them structural again (well not without seriously major work).
That specific house had be split in half for transport on 2 trucks. It was destroyed.
The rear wall had blown out, the ceiling had collapsed in both sections, all of the ceiling fans were bent and broken, the reasonably new kitchen had been smashed and needed to be ripped out and replaced. The sliding glass doors hadn’t been strapped properly and smashed all over the floor.
We couldn’t get out of that yard fast enough.

We had inspected other yards and didn’t see anything close to that level of damage.
It really looked like the crew working on that house just didn’t give a crap.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
@rumpig,
I happened to look at a house in the yard of the company that was in outback truckers recently.
They absolutely hacked the trusses into pieces, I couldn’t see anyway to make them structural again (well not without seriously major work).
That specific house had be split in half for transport on 2 trucks. It was destroyed.
The rear wall had blown out, the ceiling had collapsed in both sections, all of the ceiling fans were bent and broken, the reasonably new kitchen had been smashed and needed to be ripped out and replaced. The sliding glass doors hadn’t been strapped properly and smashed all over the floor.
We couldn’t get out of that yard fast enough.

We had inspected other yards and didn’t see anything close to that level of damage.
It really looked like the crew working on that house just didn’t give a crap.
pretty much how they look on the show then.......the house we repaired didn't look bad on the outside, it was only when you climbed in the roof you got a nasty surprise. The way they had cleated undersized pieces of timber with batten screws to the old rafters they'd cut in half was pretty laughable if it wasn't so serious, it really wasn't hard to use the right sized timber and bolts like we did to repair it (would have been alot easier with no roof iron on). Obviously there's good and bad removalist's out there, I hope yours goes well, you seem to have half an idea what to look for by the sounds of it.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »
Funny you mention the building certifier....
I rang my guy that I used to approve our main house and the extension and the 2nd bathroom and the new shed and the 2nd driveway before I bought this house.
He was more then happy to take my money on all of the other work, but straight up declined to do anything for the relocated house

Don't be hard on the certifier, the poor buggered are being bent over and stuffed. Insurance is killing them. My work colleague is a non practicing certifier, he has to maintain insurance to cover him for his previous work in certifying and he has just receive his insurance renewal which is $24000. His broker told him that it is unlikely to reduce anytime soon but likely to rise. He is obligated to maintain this for the life of the buildings he has certified previously.

Why so much, because they take all the risk, long after the builders 6 or 7 year defect warranty expires and it can be attributed to events like Grenfall building fire UK and non- conforming building products becoming an issue.
I can't think of any other industry that you are still responsible long after clocking off on the job.
Certifies are jacking up there rates to try and cover this anomaly.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »
I would of thought the insurance he had at the time if the work would cover him and not havee to keep paying more.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »
One big hurdle, it’s a huge hurdle actually... Local Council..

They put strict guidelines for how the house looks from the street

Down here the Council will allow backyard granny-flats, but they have to look the same as the main house ie brick house so must have brick flat, even if there's no way of it being seen from the street :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
Down here the Council will allow backyard granny-flats, but they have to look the same as the main house ie brick house so must have brick flat, even if there's no way of it being seen from the street :'(
The general rules here are pretty good.
For rural properties (like ours) granny flats have to be clearly separate dwellings, no bigger then 90m2 and all dwellings combined can’t take up more then 50% of the total land area.
It’s just that they worry about people buying rundown 100 year old houses, dropping them on a block of land and never fixing them up. Obviously the council don’t want blocks full of dilapidated house all over the place. So all relocated houses have to apply for an Amenities and Aesthetics approval, this is where they set the bond for the house you want to put on the block.
It’s supposed to give you incentive to finish the job to a high standard, but what it actually does is takes $20k out of your reno budget and makes it harder for most people to afford a high quality finish....

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »

It’s supposed to give you incentive to finish the job to a high standard, but what it actually does is takes $20k out of your reno budget and xxxx

and gives you $20k back at the end of the job to go camping with to recover.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
& Pete, just a couple of things to check while you're moving the house >:D

http://www.engineeringdaily.net/3-questions-for-an-engineer/

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
& Pete, just a couple of things to check while you're moving the house >:D

http://www.engineeringdaily.net/3-questions-for-an-engineer/
waterfront property now, worth a fortune... 8)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »
Got this in our club email some maybe interested in ...
Seems like a good cause that some maybe interested in going to.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to take this opportunity to invite you & every one of your members to 4wd Supacentre Lilydale's very first Club Night.

We are right in the midst of releasing some very exciting new lines for the upcoming season, you may have already seen a sneak peek of our new Fridges & Open Case Generator lines.  These among many other new trinkets will be on display.

Brenno from 4wd Action will be on-site to perform product demonstrations & comparisons.

We will also have a couple of the 4wd Action vehicles on site.

There will also be a Sausage Sizzle & Meat tray raffles with 100% of the proceeds going to The Aussie Farmer Drought Appeal
That's right, 100% of all money raised will be donated.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you & every one of your members to 4wd Supacentre Lilydale's very first Club Night.

We are right in the midst of releasing some very exciting new lines for the upcoming season, you may have already seen a sneak peek of our new Fridges & Open Case Generator lines.  These among many other new trinkets will be on display.

Brenno from 4wd Action will be on-site to perform product demonstrations & comparisons.

There will also be a Sausage Sizzle & Meat tray raffles with 100% of the proceeds going to The Aussie Farmer Drought Appeal

That should get a few more customers through the door eh. But wouldn't they seem more genuine if they were raffling off a major prize to raise money? I dunno call me cynical, but you'd think they'd spring for more than a sausage sizzle and meet tray raffle if they really wanted to raise a decent amount of money for the farmers.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »
Bunnings have the same thing running tmw - every store Oz wide is having their barbie manned by staff with all funds raised going to drought relief.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »

I got the same from Nic the other night, and had a chat to him on the phone.  I think a few of our members are going

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »
I got the same from Nic the other night, and had a chat to him on the phone.  I think a few of our members are going
Have had more of the exact same email now from different peoples there.. they must be not doing well business wise. LMAO :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
Just saw this on another forum.

Anybody near Laverton Vic BCF?

80% off storewide today and finishes tomorrow (store closing).

https://imgur.com/a/Sko8Cb6

Finishes today so not much time left, sorry :'(

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
Next Wednesday.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-wed-22-august/

10.1" DVD player  $69.99

For those that need entertainment on the road.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Was just in Bunnings and looks like they have a knockoff  OzTent King Kokoda, it was by their Marquee brand and had something to do with king in its name, looked ok from a quick look and was quite comfortable to sit in. I can't find it on their website and was in the middle of an idle for anyone who is interested but was a grand total of only $29

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »
Was just in Bunnings and looks like they have a knockoff  OzTent King Kokoda, it was by their Marquee brand and had something to do with king in its name, looked ok from a quick look and was quite comfortable to sit in. I can't find it on their website and was in the middle of an idle for anyone who is interested but was a grand total of only $29

just picked one of these up today (called the marquee king chair)... very comfortable and appears to be of a decent quality... quite light too...

for $29 for the old boy for father's day, it will be just fine... :)  he doesn't use it all the time...

they were all in a pallet-sized carton in the main centre aisle in my local bunnings (near the esky aisle), standing on their end, with a light brown carry bag...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:30:44 PM by paceman »