Author Topic: Highway tire pressures?  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
Highway tire pressures?
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
So, we’re off on our trip to West Oz, and probably a bit late to ask now, but I am wondering what run our tires at on the highway?
Tug is a 2014 150 Prado, 4 kids to adults and about 100kg of gear, on BF Goodrich All terrains
I’m currently running them at 36 front and 40 rear.
Camper is Ezytrail Lincoln LX, full tanks, gear, food, kids bikes, on 16”ATs. I’ve currently got these at 40.
We are not expecting to go off road on this trip with the camper, so should be sealed roads all the way.
What would you guys recommend?
Thank
Cristian

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Highway tire pressures?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »
As everyones rigs tyre types / weights etc are different, you will have to do a bit of Experimenting on your set up ### Check out the 4 > 6 PSI rule bit on here https://www.coopertires.com.au/media/1400/cooper-drivers-guide-tyre-pressures.pdf
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:12 AM »
You aren’t saying if the tyres are LT or not which makes a difference. Our MDC trailer has 265-75-16 LT MT Goodrides which I run at 55 lb on the highway - they max out at 80 so they like a lot of pressure. I would probably be adding more air to the rears of the car with a nose heavy trailer as well if they are LT’s. If they are p metrics, 40 psi is about right.

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:43 AM »
You aren’t saying if the tyres are LT or not which makes a difference. Our MDC trailer has 265-75-16 LT MT Goodrides which I run at 55 lb on the highway - they max out at 80 so they like a lot of pressure. I would probably be adding more air to the rears of the car with a nose heavy trailer as well if they are LT’s. If they are p metrics, 40 psi is about right.
Dumar$$e question, what is the LT & P code for?
I just checked and out camper tires are the same as yours, brand and size.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Highway tire pressures?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:25 AM »
Dumar$$e question, what is the LT & P code for?
I just checked and out camper tires are the same as yours, brand and size.
LT = light truck
P = passenger

LT tyres have more plys in the sidewall to carry more weight but require much more air pressure to do so.

P tyres come in all terrain (AT) tread patterns too. They are more comfortable, lighter, better on fuel, easier on suspension but not as strong and generally have less tread depth so they don’t get a lot of love from 4wd ers.

The letters and numbers really are important and if people dont ask what tyre construction you have I would suggest their advice isn’t worth a lot. The LT or P or nothing will be on the sidewall next to the tyre size. A load rating is also on the tyre  which will also help if you can get that info?

You are asking the right questions not dumb ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
Check out the 4 > 6 PSI rule bit on here https://www.coopertires.com.au/media/1400/cooper-drivers-guide-tyre-pressures.pdf
Thanks edz.
I don’t know why I didn’t consider that! We do it on the race cars to check setup, so why not on road cars.
Thanks for the link.
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »
LT = light truck
P = passenger

A load rating is also on the tyre  which will also help if you can get that info?

Thanks GBC.
I’m used to the load and speed ratings, but hadn’t considered those parts of it.
I just checked the car and it LT as well.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:05:56 AM »
Thanks GBC.
I’m used to the load and speed ratings, but hadn’t considered those parts of it.
I just checked the car and it LT as well.

My original numbers stand then. I’d try 45 in the car rears for towing. Enough to be stable in an emergency, not enough to drive you mad. I tend to run a bit more than others though. There isn’t a magic number.

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 06:09:23 AM »
Great, I’ll try that today.
I did notice our fuel consumption was more than I expected yesterday, but I put that down to our our high all up weight and the roof pod more than anything else.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »
Quote from: Cristian G
Great, I’ll try that today.
I did notice our fuel consumption was more than I expected yesterday, but I put that down to our our high all up weight and the roof pod more than anything else.
judging by how low the arse end is, I'd say its ****in heavy - get used to it :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cristian G

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
judging by how low the arse end is, I'd say its ****in heavy - get used to it :)
The camper is the heavy bit.
I didn’t get to fit helper springs before we left. A victim of poor planning and competing priorities, my prep is well below what I wanted for this trip.

Offline scott13april

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
I’d swap to HD rear coils or airbags, not a big job, 2/3 hours perhaps have it done on the trip?

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 05:04:51 PM »
I follow the guidance on the manufacturers placard on the drivers side door frame on my Pajero.
Up to 5 Passengers:  29 PSI Front 32 PSI Rear (Highway tyres fitted generally)
Up to Max Load: 35 Front 41 Rear
Trailer Rowing: 38 Front 44 Rear (LT tyres fitted normally)

For the camper trailer (Vista RV Crossover XL) the manufacturer recommends 36PSI (LT tyres) and adjust as necessary at the same time as the car on lesser roads.

Seems to work well, no heat or over/under pressure issues.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:57:04 PM »
I’d swap to HD rear coils or airbags, not a big job, 2/3 hours perhaps have it done on the trip?

I can swap the rear springs on my Patrol in 30 minutes.....fronts in 45.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »
I have a 200 series, even though it's not the same 4wd, but tyre pressures are similar from car to car for a normal type of load and comparing the tyre placard that is on the door sill.

I run a couple of psi more than the placard ....35 front ....39 rear....140kgs on the ball.. tyres have never run hot and wear is even across the tread !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
LT = light truck
P = passenger

The LT or P or nothing will be on the sidewall next to the tyre size. A load rating is also on the tyre  which will also help if you can get that info?

Similar question to Cristian.

Tyres on our van are 195/70 R15C, which apparently stand for Cargo, so can I assume that's the same as LT ???

Also have a (I think) load rating of "104 / 102R" - I can see that 104 = 900kg per tyre, while 102 is 850kg - why 2 ratings ??? Interestingly enough, the van's ATM is 1960kg, but, both those ratings, the 2 tyres would only allow us to load to max 1800kg, & possibly only 1700 ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »
This may explain it for you Fizz https://www.bobjane.com.au/info/load-index-speed-symbol/   
From what I understand the two different load ratings on LT tyres, apply to Single tyre use and being used in a dual tyre set up  .. 
EDIT : Found it ..   http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyres/tire-speed-rating-and-load-index-for-the-light-truck-tires
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:54:06 PM by edz »
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
Similar question to Cristian.

Tyres on our van are 195/70 R15C, which apparently stand for Cargo, so can I assume that's the same as LT ???

Also have a (I think) load rating of "104 / 102R" - I can see that 104 = 900kg per tyre, while 102 is 850kg - why 2 ratings ??? Interestingly enough, the van's ATM is 1960kg, but, both those ratings, the 2 tyres would only allow us to load to max 1800kg, & possibly only 1700 ???

Yes, they are delivery van tyres which go fine on trailers assuming you aren’t overloading them. I’ve run them on boat trailers before. Your load rating on a single axle is the 1st one. They are derated slightly on duals because of road camber and bumps meaning they end up not equally loaded. It looks like your tyres might be a bit light on for capacity. They will need to be at max inflation and it may be an offence to use them. What does your compliance plate say?

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks for that fellas.

Plate gives:

Tare 1600kg

GTM 1800kg

ATM 1960kg

Axle load capacity 1800kg

All of a sudden I'm (quite) a bit worried ??? :-\

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
Just went out & had another look at the van tyres.

Had only looked at the spare previously as that's easy to read :D, but this time checked the actual tyres as well.

They're actually 106 rating = 950kg each so 1900kg, so, if I'm reading all this correctly, would that make them illegal as they're then over the plated axle capacity ??? :'(

As mentioned, the spare is only 104 rating so I'm guessing it shouldn't be used in conjunction with a 106 on the other side ???

Also noticed that the plate gives cold tyre pressure as only 275kpa = 40psi. First couple of times we used the van & checked the tyre pressures they went from 45 to 51psi then 49 to 54, so we're now running at 52 (forgot to check the hot pressure after our last run :-[) so they're now way over spec's as well ???

This is getting messier & messier all the time :'(

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
Your GTM is all that the trailer can put onto the tyres - the rest goes onto the ball/jockey wheel. Strictly speaking your spare is rated at precisely enough and the two main tyres have a little in reserve. Forget the 4 psi rule, you need to be at the max inflation number written on the sidewall to achieve that load rating. I have no idea what your load situation is, but with such a small payload allowance I’d be surprised if you don’t blow straight past those Gtm numbers when loaded for touring. I don’t want to cause alarm but it would be worth weighing it in touring trim. If you are within those numbers then all good. Worry about the alternative when you have some facts and figures.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Forget the 4 psi rule, you need to be at the max inflation number written on the sidewall to achieve that load rating.

66psi! :o Bloody hell! :o Isn't pumping the tyres up to that pressure then going to shake the absolute living crap out of the van ???

& if it's so important to run at max pressure (& it obviously is), then why all the discussion re the 4 psi idea, why isn't it just a hard & fast rule - inflate to max rated pressure ???

I don’t want to cause alarm but it would be worth weighing it in touring trim.

We ran it over a weighbridge on our way out on a trip & came in at 1.8t, so right on the limit, but that was only packed for 4 days so minimal groceries -- wouldn't be good if we were really touring so carrying a fortnight's worth :'( Guess the planned second water tank, battery & solar panel have all just gone out the window :'(

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
Could always do a slash and burn Jenny Craig on the gear you take or the easy way out with an axle upgrade    ;D  ..  http://www.candm.com.au/atm/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:07:35 AM by edz »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 05:18:42 AM »
66psi! :o Bloody hell! :o Isn't pumping the tyres up to that pressure then going to shake the absolute living crap out of the van ???

& if it's so important to run at max pressure (& it obviously is), then why all the discussion re the 4 psi idea, why isn't it just a hard & fast rule - inflate to max rated pressure ???

We ran it over a weighbridge on our way out on a trip & came in at 1.8t, so right on the limit, but that was only packed for 4 days so minimal groceries -- wouldn't be good if we were really touring so carrying a fortnight's worth :'( Guess the planned second water tank, battery & solar panel have all just gone out the window :'(
I dont see that you have too many other options. Shakng a van to retain control in an emergency doesnt seem like a huge compromise to me. A simple swerve on outclassed sidewalls could end badly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:44:56 AM by GBC »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35:20 AM »