Author Topic: Redesigning your life @65  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Redesigning your life @65
« on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
A good mate of mine that I have known for 35 years has just had his wife leave him and he is now selling the house and looking at a very different life than the one he thought he had.  He has to find a house with the proceeds of half a house.

He is interested in "caravaning" and seeing Australia but is very concerned about the setup costs and how a single person will manage as he has never done anything like that.  I have tried to reassure him and advise him about the joys of the road and that it doesn't have to cost $100,000 for a setup.

I am interested in suggestions that I can gently make to a very proud man.  How little could it cost both to setup and on a weekly basis, are people really friendly to an old bloke on his own etc. etc.

I'm after some different perspectives than my own.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Redesigning your life @65
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:06:44 PM »
Alan , there are plenty of jobs traveling Australia and happy to chat when we catch up.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:48:52 PM »
Been reading of and know quite a few people that have packed up and gone.
 General concencous is their average costs have been working  out at aprox a $1 to $1.10 per Klm everything included, Most have an emergency account with about $10 +-  grand as back up others have less..
 Have picked up work basicaly as needed to extend their journey without to much trouble [ Just be willing to try anything and have a go ] . Some have a working safety net budget of $5 grand +-,   that is when they look for work to boost the bank balance .
Quite a few are happily without missing out on anything doing their journey's on roughly a $500 +  PW budget [ Some are just  couples, Others are families of four ]  Lots of Free to low cost camping as caravan parks etc can be very expensive .
For the social side most report that 99% of people met have been very friendly and helpful when and If needed, A lot of good new friends made and met up with again and again [ This would depend a lot on attitude and personality though ] .
I have a mate [ 65 Yro ] thats heading off in July, Tasmania first for a few months then where ever, Got a $10 k High roof diesel Ford transit van in good condition he set up cheaply for two [ Incase he finds a friend  ;D ] Not a flash fit out but tidy / comfortable / reasonable storage done mostly by himself [ office worker limited skills and basic tools ] and a few friends ..
Mountain bike, Kayak, Enough solar / battery  to run a 60 lt Engel fridge freezer, LED lights etc, Fiamma wind out awning, 80 lt onboard water [ 20 lt in portable container ], queen size bed with bunnings plastic tub slide out storage underneath.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:13:55 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
When out on the road if your seen to be  " Having a Go " people will be more likely to be helpful towards you  .            :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »
When we were out at Leslie Dam t'other week, there was a lady there by herself, probably mid-late 60's in a Holden ute with a tray back camper on it. Well decorated with been here, done that stickers, so guess she's been doing quite a bit of travelling!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts  :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
lts really had to put a finger on how to start . Most of the travelers are just  " Out There " doing what they love . Chairman Mow  said  " The longest journey starts with the 1st step  "
l say  " Beat the feet  "                  :cup:                       :cheers:

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
I'm not on Stalkerbook but I'm told (husband is on there) that there are a lot of groups for travellers that may be a helpful resource if he is already on that platform...

Starting is hard. Knowing what you want to get out of it, what set up will work for you... It is tough. Heck, starting your life over at any age when you thought you had it all figured out... yeah, I feel for him. :(

I know there are a number of travellers (young single couples and families are examples I know) who publish their budgets vs actual spend for travelling. That might be a good resource for him? I can look up specific examples if you'd like, just PM me and let me know. Fuel is always going to be a big cost, even if you keep accomodation costs down down. Get a comfortable van and stay at free camps - there are SO MANY great free camps out there! They're not all dodgy truck stops anymore... Actually, we'd prefer to stay at most free camps these days over most caravan parks - more space, better locations...

Pub camping is something James and I really love doing. Free/low-cost camping, a good meal and/or a cold drink in the pub (usually the publicans are fine if you just buy a beer if finances are tight - it still supports them, and the word of mouth they get when you tell your 10+ friends is worth it, too!), often toilets and showers available to use if you need them (sometimes for free, sometimes only a small donation - most we've paid is maybe $5-$10 for both of us for camping + toilet/shower access per night). Plus the people you meet make the experience so much more memorable.

Best of luck to him.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »
People  yes real people are out there  all you have to do is be there to meet them . You will learn so much & enjoy so much more   .                              :cheers:

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
Here is someone’s costs from Facebook

Indefinite LeaveLike Page
March 6
A quick summary of our costs after 2 years travelling Australia.

We provide the most detailed costs of travelling Australia and will provide our customary detailed report soon.

Our website has full detailed reports at 7 months, 12 months and 18 months.

We left Brisbane 1st February 2016 and went north to Cooktown, back to Townsville across through Mt Isa and up to Darwin. From there we made our way to WA where we spent 4 months, across the Nullabor, Adelaide and on to Tasmania.
From Tasmania we did the Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island and then up the middle to Uluru and back to Darwin.
From Darwin we went back to Isa, up to Karumba, over the Savannah Way to Cairns, across to Winton, Longreach, Carnarvon Gorge, down through Toowoomba, Bathurst, Tamworth, Dubbo, Wagga, Canberra and to the Murray River. From the Murray River back through Bowral and up the NSW coast to Brisbane.
We have been home in Brisbane since December, continuing to live in our Motorhome until we leave again soon after Easter.

We are 3 adults as our now 25yo son travelled with us the entire way and we funded his trip.

Groceries 🍞🍉🥪🧀
$21,999.65
That's $916.65 per month or $211.54 per week
The last 3 months without Matt it's $1539.68 per month or $118.45 per week.

Takeaways 🍟🍕🌭
$3,561.61

Dining Out 🍽?🍸
$6,391.69
Last 6 months $162

Accommodation 🚎🎪??
$13,453.63
$18.98 Average per night

$6880.70 First 6 months
$4572.83 Second 6 months
$1310.10 Third 6 months
$690 Last 6 months. This equates to $3.79 per night 🤣🤑😴

Our YouTube channel has 172+ videos of every Free Camp, Campground, Caravan Park, Pub Stay, Station Stay and RV Parks we stayed in across Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/c/indefiniteleave

Fuel ?
$13,163.72
Most expensive was Kings Creek Station at Kings Canyon @ 199.9c
Uluru was 190.9c and Barkleys Homestead 179.9c
We have found United Fuel to be consistently the cheapest and almost always use them. Metro in some areas is great.
We use the Fuel Map app to find the cheapest fuel.

Winnebago
Costs related to the Motorhome part of our vehicle
$5,226.39
Some of the big costs were:
$699 new Waeco fridge
$680 for 2 new house batteries

Iveco
Costs related to the vehicle
$6,594.44
3 Services
8 new tyres
1 new windscreen and 1 repair
1 Radiator

Entertainment 🏊???🎣??🏝?🚁🚡
$18,429.31
We wanted to see as much of Australia as we could, have lots of fun and experience adventures so we did do quite a few tours.
$8,258.40 First 6 months - Brisbane to Cooktown to Katherine. Included 3 fishing charters, Hummer 4wd on Fraser Island, 1770, Whitsundays, Cairns scenic flight, Kuranda Rail and Katherine Gorge were some of the adventures.
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/us-swag-pontoon-lot-water/
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/top-13-must-airlie-beach-whi…/
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/things-see-cairns/

$5,733.90 Second 6 months - Darwin - WA - Tasmania. Included Horizontal Falls, Swimming with Humpback Whales, Broome fishing charter, Rottnest Island
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/best-broome-western-australia/
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/things-see-do-top-end-darwin…/

$2,113 Third 6 months. Tasmania - Mt Isa. Incl Tasmania and Bruny Island Cruises and Gordon River Cruise
http://indefiniteleave.com.au/very-best-tasmania/
https://youtu.be/sWDhpoK7U3A

$2324 Fourth 6 months. Karumba - Murray River - Gold Coast. Incl Fishing charter, Cobbold Gorge, Qantas Museum, Stockmans Hall of Fame.

Gas
$897
Such a small part of the budget.

Alcohol 🍾🍷🥃🍻🍸
$4,926.90

MACKS, our dog
Sadly we had to let her go 14/6/17 so no costs since then
$3,373.04 in vet and medications etc
$959 dog sitting

Read about travelling with a dog here - http://indefiniteleave.com.au/travelling-australia-dog-mac…/
Read my tribute to MACKS here - http://indefiniteleave.com.au/tribute-best-dog-ever-known/

Adele's nails
$959

Clothes
$2,488.41

Fishing
New rods, tackle and gear
$1,452.90

Laundry
$726
This is such a small cost. We started with a washing machine, never used it, found it way too small to wash our clothes yet takes space and becomes a weight issue. Also commits you to staying at places that cost money to access so much water. We use Laundries and find it easy to do.

National Parks
$250
Such a minuscule cost. Don't worry about the cost for Kakadu, just do it, it's amazing and a very small amount when looking at your total expenses to travel.

A complete and full wrap up of all our costs to travel Oz will be out soon. Hope this helps you plan your trip :)

Follow us at:
https://www.facebook.com/indefiniteleave/
https://www.youtube.com/c/indefiniteleave
https://www.indefiniteleave.com
Instagram: indefinite_leave

Safe travels and please say Hello if you see us on the road

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »
We are 3 adults as our now 25yo son travelled with us the entire way and we funded his trip.

Gee I wish someone funded my trip around Australia when I was 25!  ;D
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 08:40:01 PM »
Me too. And another

The Wandering SteelsLike Page
February 12
💰WHERE WE SPLASHED THE CASH💰
💰Six months of expenses all inclusive💰

📷This pic shows in black where we have been since we started travelling in October 2015 when we headed to the NT. We moved home 14 months later and realised resetting into 'the usual lifestyle' was not what we could hack! So we stacked our stuff back into storage, refinanced the home loan, got a new car and caravan, and hit the wide open road for an endless unplanned adventure. In the last 6 months we have looped around NSW, got up to Canarvon Gorge, headed back down the east coast, and shot over to Tassie.

?We are currently in Tasmania, and will be here for 2.5 more months.

💵Savings: We started with 20k in the bank. As it turns out we have spent close to the amount we have earnt since being away, so still have the initial savings to fall back on when I am not working.

💉Work: I (Jaz) work as an agency nurse and pick up rural hospital contracts in the direction we decide to go. I have worked 4 out of the 6 months that we have been away, this week I'll be completing my 4th contract. Honestly, we feel like we are on full time holidays because life changes every day and we love it.

📬School: As of this week Mr 7 is a grade 3 kid with Maroon class at North East Public School of Distance Education and loving it. Up until now we have been happy homeschooling/low key experiential learing, but decided to go with NEPSODE for some extra academic variety. The only thing that we HATE is having to give an address for the next work pack, we seriously don't plan destinations. All we know is that at some stage in our Tassie trip we will be in Hobart, so that's where the post is going.

👪Lifestly choices: We are big into natural living, we eat wholefoods, avoid processes food, chose organic, make our own sunscreen, deodorant, dry shampoo, mozzie guard, toothpaste and other health hacks. We try our hardest to adopt low impact sustainable living styles. This impacts on the budget, fresh wholesome food, essential oils, supplements etc comes with a price tag.

🚂Activities: We prefer to do the natural scenic type free activites. On the odd occasion we do something special like the Wilderness Railway, or the dolphin show.

🚑Medical Treatment: Ash fell off his bike and has xrays & he chopped his hand and got stitches. He is the accident prone one.

👷Car and Van Incidents: The accident prone one reversed into someone, small damage to us but still an insurance claim for their damage. Lucky we're with AAMI! The van has been awesome and thankfully no claims necessary with CIL

🚀Distances: We obviously travel at the speed of light... Actually more like the pace of a mule. Total kilometers driven is 10,532. Litres of fuel: 1444. Average consumption: 13.7l/100km in our Isuzu UTE Australia

🏠Accommodation: We love low cost and free camps, and have stayed at 2 caravan parks. We tend to pay for sites when I am working as its harder to bush camp when working. WikiCamps is our absolute go to in finding great spots, very reliable info so far.

💰SHOW ME THE MONEY💰

Below is our 6 month totals and weekly averages for various living and travelling expenses from most to lease expensive.

Food: $8,287 $323
Fuel: $2,175 $85
Presents: $1,404 $55
Accommodation: $1,312 $51
Health Supplements: $1,223 $48
Travel/Caravan Supplies $1,065 $41
Activities: $767 $30
Insurance Claim: $650 $25
Maintenance/Mechanic: $607 $23
Phones: $600 $23
Bikes Supplies: $470 $18
Alcohol: $528 $20
Coffee: $455 $18
Take Away: $291 $11
Gas: $284 $11
Restaurants: $214 $8
Clothes: $195 $8
Education: $189 $7
Op Shop: $104 $4
Work Supplies: $101 $4
Tolls/Parking: $39 $1.5

Travel SUBTOTAL: $21,031 $817
Plus
Yearly Expenses: $6,130 $118
(Amulance, car and van rego and insurance, private health, nursing rego and insurance, camera)
Plus
Spirit of Tasmania: $2300
Plus
Rental Expenses: $2010 $78

💰TOTAL EXPENSES IN 6 MONTHS

$31,471 at $1,058 per week

Like our page to keep posted with what us wandering bunch are up to!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Put up any numbers that you can think of , But they cant add up to the experiences you will have on  " The Wallaby " . Those at home will think  Your Mad  , sadly they are wrong ..
lf you haven't been there you cant add to the discussion   .   Can you     ??? ???
Stay home & wonder what it might be like to be out there    ,  if you dare    . Bring me that horizon for my lunch & l will eat the rest of the day  .

HaveAgoYouMUG      or die wondering                        :cheers:

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
Thanks for all that  :cup:

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:18:04 AM »
Not being rude, but interested in "caravaning" is different to like going caravanning. Has your mate done any camping or caravanning before and would he be comfortable walking into a camp kitchen by himself and starting a conversation??

When you have a partner it’s so much easier walking into a group of strangers because if they aren’t talkative, then you have your partner to talk with.

My belief is if you don’t do something by the time your 65 or retire, then the chances of taking up something different and enjoying it are slim. Over the years I’ve known so many guys who have never fished, but when they retire they suddenly buy a boat because fishing sounds like a good way to fill up your days. 6 months later the boats no longer gets used because they think fishing is ‘Boring’

Would hate for him to spend a lot of money on 4WD/Van which might not be used much.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:12:44 PM by Beachman »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Not being rude, but interested in "caravaning" is different to like going caravanning. Has your mate done any camping or caravanning before and would he be comfortable walking into a camp kitchen by himself and starting a conversation??

When you have a partner it’s so much easier walking into a group of strangers because if they aren’t talkative, then you have your partner to talk with.

My belief is if you don’t do something by the time your 65 or retire, then the chances of taking up something different and enjoying it are slim. Over the years I’ve known so many guys who have never fished, but when they retire they suddenly buy a boat because fishing sounds like a good way to fill up your days. 6 months later the boats no longer gets used because fishing is ‘Boring’

Would hate for him to spend a lot of money on 4WD/Van which might not be used much.
I agree with Beachman.
Seen it lots too. Not saying he wont enjoy it, but most dont.
Another option. If he has to start again, try smaller regional areas, they can have cheaper housing and real communities. Try before you buy.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
While that can be the case for some, it's not for all.

Take my father as an example. Hardly spent 5 minutes longer in the kitchen than he had to until he retired mid 70's, then would cook up a storm in the kitchen - everything from full roast dinners, to jams and sauces, to even sponges and biscuits and pastries! He was a great cook, but you never would have known (nor would have he!) until he had the time for it after he left the farm... I don't think he'd baked a cake until he'd retired! His sister and I frequently chat about how great it was that he developed a love of cooking (something we both shared with him) in his later years.

Sure, you can argue that its a lot less risk to buy some flour and sugar and give baking a go, rather than forking our $100-200k for a van and tow vehicle... I get that. But I told the story to illustrate the point that something can become a significant interest in your life in retirement even when you'd never done it before.

Look how many grey nomads ARE out there who'd never travelled in that way before they retired! He'd hardly be alone. Sure there are some who buy the van only to sell it years later after only one or two trips (yep, known people who've done that, just like your mate with the boat). But I've known more who are off in their van every chance they get!

Also consider this - IF he's never camped/caravanned before, perhaps it was his wife holding him back because she didn't like the idea, and now he can pursue something he's always wanted to do...? We just don't know. We can sit here making assumptions about his situation, but we really don't know.

Yep, the bloke probably has some soul searching to do to decide if its really for him. Perhaps he should hire a van (particularly if he already has a tow vehicle) and take a few weeks or a month on the road to see how he likes it. "Try before you buy" isn't a bad idea regardless of the lifestyle he picks at this stage (I also like your idea of regional areas, Glen - small town communities are great! But they can be isolating if you're not the kind to show up to a new club, Church, etc. and take that step to meet people! Feeling on the outside in a small town is hard...).

I think that last point is important - about being prepared to put himself out there a bit. As an introvert I HATE going up and initiating conversation with someone! I find it really difficult. But I've got better at hiding that and just doing it... and I rarely regret it. Regardless of if he is travelling or moving somewhere new, he will need to make the effort to talk with people or he may risk becoming socially isolated. I would have no qualms talking to a single guy on his own who looked like they were up for a chat if we came across him on the road. But that's just it - if they look happy sitting at their own camp, doing their own thing, I wouldn't go and bother them... You don't always have to initiate the conversation, but making it obvious you're looking for a yarn/are friendly - wander around the campsite a bit, nod/wave in your fellow campers' directions if you make eye contact, smile, look approachable!

Best of luck to him. I think there's been some great advice on this thread.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »
Quote from: Beachman
... because fishing is ‘Boring’
well said!  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Gee that's tough on your mate. But not uncommon I fear.

I have been travelling solo for a decade or so but my start was a bit different as I was still working and had a house (with a new big mortgage) as a base.

The first and most important decision would be about somewhere to live. I know people do buy caravans and motorhomes and travel full time but that is not something I would be comfortable with and it is a big step to take, especially without previous experience of the lifestyle.         

The main advice I would offer is don't rush into anything.

I had hardly been anywhere in 30 years raising kids and paying the mortgage (the first time) and started off slowly travelling a bit remote as a volunteer on environmental projects.

That got me into camping and exploring the outback  and looking for the road less travelled and I did that for a few years in a humble Falcon sedan  before graduating to a 4WD ute and then a wagon  and venturing further afield.

I used to hanker after a camper trailer but now I doubt I will ever go that road. A swag or tent is a much simpler prospect when solo. Yeah I know the campers can be set up by one person in two minutes but ...

The point about the way I travel is that it doesn't cost much to set up (apart from the car). Add a fridge, a small stove, some cooking gear (usually grabbed from the kitchen)  and you are set. 

I have been on my for so long and am so  used to my own company that I don't bother much if people I meet out and about are unsociable. They probably think I am but I just have a low tolerance for fools. Some crave endless conversation, I can take it or leave it. Some people like clubs but they are not for me.   

But generally people are OK, though I have heard anecdotal evidence that you meet parents who don't like single men talking to their kids. Understandable, but sad.

As for the cost of travelling,   well I don't know. I don't keep a record of any expenditure other than fuel and that is mostly for trip planning. That's not to say  I am  rich but I have enough to keep me going and I am not by nature given to spending on stuff that is simply nice to have.   

And ambitions change. I am 65 and I have seen the deserts and remote coasts. Now I can lower my sights a bit and see the easier accessed places in between.

Of course the most important thing is that your mate has mates to look out for him. I am sure he has that.     

The following users thanked this post: edz, plusnq

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
This may help someone with Packing up and heading off .  https://www.theblondenomads.com.au/packing-tips-for-lap-of-aus/ 
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 06:43:02 AM »
Hi Allan, Sadly its happening a lot. I hope your mate gents through it all right, If it was me heading off around Aus and working on the way, Depending on money, But doing it as cheap as I could, I would buy a super reliable Diesel ally tray back Cruiser 4.2lt n/a with ally framed canopy with 3.8m tinny on top, and a older stile off road small van something lite to tow and esszy to set up, I do not know were he lives but he may have to move out into the country areas and find a cheaper block and put a 6x 6m shed on it, Depending on his budget, Craig   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:44:57 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
l have Merc Benz Hi roof Vito 109 diesel that could easily be converted into a Camper .The 6 speed manual box is fun to drive . The unit is light comfy gets about 10 /100 on fuel .
Cheap start , reliable home on wheels  :cheers:

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »
l have Merc Benz Hi roof Vito 109 diesel that could easily be converted into a Camper .The 6 speed manual box is fun to drive . The unit is light comfy gets about 10 /100 on fuel .
Cheap start , reliable home on wheels  :cheers:

Don't do a water pump on it.  They don't do new ones, they replace with rebuilds now.
Mechanic near me did 2 replacements in a week, gave up and took it to Mercedes to fix the third time.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 07:54:44 AM »
Hey Alan

Just had this come through the e-mail https://www.letsgocaravanandcamping.com.au/news-archive/justins-bits-02/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=April+Newsletter&utm_content=JB02&utm_source=www.vision6.com.au, discussing budget for travelling around Oz.

Haven't watched it yet but may be helpful for your mate ???

Turns out that he didn't have all that much to say, just that their figures come out at ~$1000 / week, but they have 3 little kids, do a lot of touristy things & so on.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:59:42 AM by Fizzie »
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday