Author Topic: What features made you upgrade/want to upgrade?  (Read 7097 times)

Offline jfella

• Tent User
Re: What features made you upgrade/want to upgrade?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
We do most of our camping at the beach too, and one of our favourite things about the swan over our old soft floor is sweepability. Couple minutes with a broom and you have a sand free floor!

We are the same and put some of that ribbed boat carpet down in our Dove - no more gritty feeling on the vinyl and I just take it out after a trip and hit it with the Karcher and comes up as clean as - bugger the sweeping!

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Who does that ?? One reason why I don't intend to buy a big van, cruising at 110 is the only way to go for me..

hahahahahahahaha...

clearly you've not owned a 'cruiser with a bog std 1HZ engine in it.

I only ever plod along at 90 max. Or 80 if the trailer is on the back.

Kinda' gotten used to it now.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Reading this thread with interest as we are looking to upgrade from the soft floor to a Jayco swan outback in 6-12months time.  2 adults + 3 kids.  Will be a tight squeeze but our favourite place to camp is up the beach and the swan is the biggest I would be happy to tow through the soft sand.

Hope your car has a real wide wheel track. I beach camp regularly too. I wouldn’t buy anything with a mismatched track for soft sand. Spent too many years towing boats up Fraser. It only becomes an issue when you really don’t need any issues.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:57:19 PM by GBC »

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
I have no idea how the track compares between my GU and swan, but I have no issues towing it on sand, and the GU sure as hell isn't a powerhouse. I always air down the patrol tyres, but never have dropped pressure in the swan.
Not saying there's no way towing on sand could be an issue, just that if a GU can do it pretty much anything has a chance!

Anyway, speaking of swans, I gotta go load mine up. Mum's here hanging out with the kids and me and the main squeeze are off for a kid free camp until Sunday in a place where mobile phones don't even sometimes work!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 06:20:28 PM »
hahahahahahahaha...

clearly you've not owned a 'cruiser with a bog std 1HZ engine in it.

I only ever plod along at 90 max. Or 80 if the trailer is on the back.

Kinda' gotten used to it now.

Ha ha....nah, a 200 series towing 1.5T......I can actually pull out and overtake UP hill as much as I like.

I remember the days of an old Triton ( turbo too ) where even not towing , acceleration was best described as a slow gathering of speed !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »
The newer Jaycos have the same wheel base as a F250 V8, and Hookie you have been lucky, As I see people bogged to the guts at Teewah and Inskip ,and up the Cape all the time, towing Outbacks they are a full tyres width wider each side than a patrol or Toyota, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
The newer Jaycos have the same wheel base as a F250 V8, and Hookie you have been lucky as they are one of the hardest things to tow in the sand let alone not letting down the tires on them, As I see people bogged to the guts at Teewah and Inskip ,and up the Cape all the time, towing Outbacks they are a full tyres width wider each side than the track of a patrol or Toyota, Craig

Sorry guys I pressed the quote button, and can not get rid of it just wanted to modify post, MFU, Craig
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:42:11 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer