Author Topic: Portable Toilets- what chemicals to use  (Read 14770 times)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Portable Toilets- what chemicals to use
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

Hello all you chemical users...Has anyone heard of Biomagic 100% Biodegradable Environmentally friendly and safe product, we have a Thetford Porta Potty that we used for the first time at Nagambie last weekend it was very warm and humid over the weekend and we had no troubles with breakdown or smells, it isnt a chemical based product and it worked well for us.  Maybe you should try it.

Maybe I will. Thanks.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »
Jan uses Odour'b'gone tablets.  http://www.odour-b-gone.com.au/index.htm

Seems to work okay, no smell and everything is broken down to a liquid which is easy to clean the tank. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
Jan uses Odour'b'gone tablets.  http://www.odour-b-gone.com.au/index.htm

Seems to work okay, no smell and everything is broken down to a liquid which is easy to clean the tank.

Which contains 30% or there abouts Sodium peroxycarbonate, which is Sodium Percarbonate. The same stuff found at around 34%, in the cheaper nappy soakers. Napisan also contains other stuff, and may not be as of higher concentration of sodium percarbonate as the cheaper brands. Probably better off buying bulk Sodium Percarbonate from home brew supplies or off the net.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

UIZ733

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
We used the Thetford chemicals the first few times but I have been using Napisan for some time now and it works pretty well. I also put lavender disinfectant in the top tank so it has a pleasant smell when you flush.  More Napisan needs to be added after a day or two to help with the process but overall it works for us.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »
Thetford Blue for me.
Plus a good clean when we get home keeps the smells away.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
Hello all you chemical users...Has anyone heard of Biomagic 100% Biodegradable Environmentally friendly and safe product, we have a Thetford Porta Potty that we used for the first time at Nagambie last weekend it was very warm and humid over the weekend and we had no troubles with breakdown or smells, it isnt a chemical based product and it worked well for us.  Maybe you should try it.

I have been using BioMagic for about 15 months now and am very happy with it. Odours are quite bearable (better than when using blue chem in my opinion) and is safe for dumping into pit toilets etc. If you have used chemicals prior though you do need to 'treat' your tank and the old chemicals will leach out of the plastic and cause the biomagic to be less effective.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 06:54:22 AM »
Can anyone refer me to some info about Biomagic?  Their web site doesn't say much  ???
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
Wifes not realy sold on the Composting toilet idea , So we have been doing some research on Portable dunnies and found this   "   SOG  "  unit, Be easy enough to DIY and not have the roughly $400 AU  [ 200 GBP ] price tag ..
They reckon NO CHEMICALS needed with this unit .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oggqyC3jQGE any one using a similar or NO  chemical toilet set up in their vans etc ...
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »
I use cheap home brand Napisan stuff. High sodium percarbonate, highest I can find at coles. Cheap as chips.

Works well, Mix 2 Scoops with 1L boiling water in bottom Tank before I go. Then add a scoop every couple of days if it gets nasty.

Smell is always fine, no issues there.

Sometimes need to give the bottom tank a bit of a swish to get the toilet paper to move around. Anyone else have this issue?

Also anyone else ever have issues flushing the toilet paper down the hole? Last time I needed a stick to poke it in lol. Maybe i need different toilet paper.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 12:23:17 PM »
Also anyone else ever have issues flushing the toilet paper down the hole? Last time I needed a stick to poke it in lol. Maybe i need different toilet paper.

We run with Aldi Napisan as well.

I got a bottle brush to use as a dunny brush if needed, then when we get home, the brush is rinsed out with boiling water & disinfectant.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: 4runnernomore

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »
We run with Aldi Napisan as well.

I got a bottle brush to use as a dunny brush if needed, then when we get home, the brush is rinsed out with boiling water & disinfectant.

Seems better than my random bush stick idea hahaha

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
Seems better than my random bush stick idea hahaha

Bypassing the portaloo completely are you? 😂😂

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »

Maybe i need different toilet paper.

You don't use the three sea shells??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
Thetford, market a brand of quick dissolving 'toilet paper'.

They call it "Aqua Soft", they also discourage the use of normal 'Loo paper' in their 'porta potties'.
I got some from BCF.  So most stores that handle 'Thetford products' would probably stock it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:00:17 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Thetford, market a brand of quick dissolving 'toilet paper'.

They call it "Aqua Soft", they also discourage the use of normal 'Loo paper' in their 'porta potties'.
I got some from BCF.  So most stores that handle 'Thetford products' would probably stock it.

I have to fully agree with this. The Thetford paper does seem to break down easier than normal paper. The process all works good if the toilet gets a good shake which mine does when getting carted around in the back of the camper.

We also use the Thetford green solution in the bottom tank and the red in the top.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »
As newbies to the world of ports-potties... does the Aqua Soft toilet paper make THAT big of a difference? Because my math is saying $10 for 4 rolls vs $10 for 20 rolls of e.g. Quilton... 🤔 If it does make a huge difference, sure, happy to get the stuff... but otherwise I've got better things to spend my money on!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
As newbies to the world of ports-potties... does the Aqua Soft toilet paper make THAT big of a difference? Because my math is saying $10 for 4 rolls vs $10 for 20 rolls of e.g. Quilton... 🤔 If it does make a huge difference, sure, happy to get the stuff... but otherwise I've got better things to spend my money on!

Spend your money on better things...we do!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
Try the enviromentally friendly / recycled stuff.  We have been using it with biomagic toilet chem for the last 6 or so years without too much trouble.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »
I grew up with septic friendly loo paper. My portaloo is strictly luxury 4 ply embossed goodness haha. Never had an issue emptying it. I also use any of the 'oxy' laundry soakers with potassium carbonate. It works as well as any chemical I've tried and is better for the environment than most. The soaker activates once it is thrown in, so you need to keep feeding your loo a sachet/spoon a day as you use the loo. Yes, I also give mine a bit of a shake to even things out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:52:04 AM by GBC »

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »

Watching a video yesterday on tips for setting up your van & so on & the girl there mentioned the special paper, but then said she just uses cheap 2-ply paper out of the supermarket as it breaks down just as quickly at a fraction of the price :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
Good to know guys, thanks!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Charlie Brown

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
If you want to know how your “normal” paper breaks down, stick a few sheets in a bottle, fill with water, shake and leave stand for a few hours.  Give it another shake and see what you reckon.  Seen a video a few years back with a few different super market brands and the expensive porta loo stuff and there was no difference, except price.  Oh, I think the recycled stuff made out of, and feeling like, tree bark, was a bit slower to break down.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
If you want to know how your “normal” paper breaks down, stick a few sheets in a bottle, fill with water, shake and leave stand for a few hours.  Give it another shake and see what you reckon.  Seen a video a few years back with a few different super market brands and the expensive porta loo stuff and there was no difference, except price.  Oh, I think the recycled stuff made out of, and feeling like, tree bark, was a bit slower to break down.

Here is one, a slightly different conclusion to what you remember seeing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPT__7WK4eM