Author Topic: Car Air Conditioning  (Read 3232 times)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
Car Air Conditioning
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
I'm basically a tight bastard, and hate spending too much on luxuries, especially when it's not for me.
My wife has a 2003 Toyota Avalon that developed a slow leak in the air conditioning condenser.
The local "experts" want $400 to supply and fit a new condenser, plus $300 for the other bits and pieces and re-gas.
I don't intend to spend that much on a car that isn't worth spending that much on. She'd s lucky I don't buy retreads for her. (I hope she doesn't read this).
One option is a used unit.  Does anyone know if second hand condensers are usable and if they can be tested??
Second option is repairing the current unit. There are three manufacturers of products in the USA that sell leak stop kits that seem to be rated pretty high and cost around $50, but according to the RACQ, there is no known use here in Australia. I have used radiator stop leak, and an alloy head crack repair in the past, and both very successful for temporary fixes that lasted  for years before disposal.
Third option is to let my wife sweat like a pig and save the dough (I really hope she doesn't read this)
Any one out there with technical advice that can help?
If it was safety related, I could justify the spend, but in this case, even though I love my wife dearly, ( I hope she reads this part) she won't drop dead from a bit of heat.
Cheers and thanks
Ian

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Car Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
Fix it properly and call it wife tax

BTW this should be posted in the tight-arse thread
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Vince

• Tent User
    • Central Coast 4WD Club
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Happy wife = Happy life......I would fix it, this can save ya months of hearing the same question "When are you going to fix the Air Con in the Avalon" the 700 will sound cheap by then.

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
I was just going to say the same thing.

You sure this is a discussion asking for advice on car air conditioning or did you mean to post under 'I'm a tight ass!' thread?

Fix the air con, then when the fuel price continues to rise, you can blame that on the reason not to use the Air Con...........
;D ;D ;D ;D
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
Fix it properly and call it wife tax

BTW this should be posted in the tight-arse thread

No, I'm pretty sure this is the right thread.
At least I am willing to spend for a cheap fix, and the extra $300 for the extra's and re-gas. If I was only willing to spend $50, I'd volunteer for the tight-arse thread.
I can write of the $300 as a couple of years birthday and Chrissie presents. Beats the hell out of used scratch tickets.
Cheers

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
I don't intend to spend that much on a car that isn't worth spending that much on.

Easiest option - get new car with working air-conditioning if its not worth spending money on.
Trade it in plus $500 and wife will be happy with new car and working airconditioner.
Should keep you in the good books for a while!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Easiest option - get new car with working air-conditioning if its not worth spending money on.
Trade it in plus $500 and wife will be happy with new car and working airconditioner.

Now that is thinking outside the square :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:35:09 PM »

A new car?????
I was thinking a tray of ice cubes on the sun-visor might do it.
I could get a Great Wall, or a Mahindra, or any vehicle from Aldi, but the air-con would probably only last a few weeks. Then I'd have a new car, and still have a whinging missus.
Maybe I will take a used Avalon from a car yard for a test drive, and borrow theirs.
We spent the first 30 years of life without car air con, maybe the wife will want to spend the last 30 years the same as a retro feeling.

Offline DeBe

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
Yes you could use a secondhand Condensor. But they might be a bit scarse & would have to be from a wreck thats been rearended. Was the quote for a genuine or aftermarket condenser? I have used 2ndhand condencers before but you need to make sure there is no corosion as this is the main cause of slow leaks in aluminumn condencers. The corosion is from the outside. I wouldnt use a leak fix adative.

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »
Maybe show the wife how to wind down the window, added bonus it can also be used as a hairdryer. >:D

Trevor

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »
Can't resist,  >:D trade in the wife and keep the car for yourself.  8)
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:47 AM »
Wind down the window????
It's a Toyota, mate. Press a button and the window drops. That works fine, but apparently with the window down, the harsh Queensland sun may blemish the perfect skin, and we can't have that.
Cheers

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
Trade in the wife? 
It may scrape up enough trade in for a deposit on a new bath plug.
And no thanks, I'll keep my car that still has air conditioning.
Cheers

Offline blaze

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
I had a mazda 626 that had a very slow leak that couldnt be found, even replaced all the o'rings. In the end we used the stop leak for aircons and it was recharged with lpg gas (thats a cost saver, no its such a small amount it wont blow up), in the end the car was sold. dont believe any thing that was done sorted the problem
cheers
blaze