Author Topic: What camper trailer for gibb river road  (Read 3147 times)

Offline brimhunter

• Learning the Ropes
What camper trailer for gibb river road
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:25 AM »
Hi Newbie here
Im Brimhunter from Perth
Am getting a little confused as to what camper trailer to purchase ?
Am getting a new Triton 4wd very soon
Travelling March 2019 Perth to Darwin and return Via Gibb River Road if possible
Have looked at a few Camper trailers here in Perth ie Southern Cross Camper trailers
PMX Campers (Ezytrail campers) have read some good reports some not so good
dont want to rattle to pieces in the Kimberley
Can any one make any suggestions budget up to $20 K
Just me travelling so if smaller thats fine but dont want soft floor prefer hard floor
front or rear fold
Gee its a minefield
Can someone please HELP

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What camper trailer for gibb river road
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »
Im a bit biased, we are on our second CUB camper. The first a 2001 went to Kimberley twice, and via Tanami. You couldn't kill it with a stick.
We upgraded a few years a go, got a 2014 Daintree LE, not much use, for under $18000. It is also tough and well built.
CUB's hold their value, but if you keep looking there should be plenty with in your price range that are not that old.
There are other Aussie built rear hard floor campers that Im sure would be up to the job as well.

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:33:44 AM »
Brimhunter,

My theory with any of the variable roads in this country is to travel simply. The suggestion from Matt of a Cub is hard to argue against. I haven't had one but I've seen plenty and they are tried and proven. Anything can go bang but the beauty of simplicity is being able to fix it on the run. The GRR can be anything, but in March particularly so. It is still cyclone season and it can rain pretty hard at that time of year. My first experience on the Gibb was 2000 and we were one of the first through in June. It was closed until late May that year. Its a pity people are shying away from the soft floors. There are some rippers for sale on this site in the classifieds that are dirt cheap, simple and tough. You could buy a few of them and still have change out of $20k. Good luck with your deliberations - it is very confusing I know. Hope you get across the GRR - its a great drive.
Rowlie

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
Just you yourself? Personallly I wouldn't bother with a camper trailer.
Put the money from the trailer towards a Landcruiser ute or similar with canopy on it.

Good quick setup tent like a Oztent or Blackwolf, and a setup in the back of the ute.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
Just a thought but if it was just me, I'd would probably go a ute based setup, ie awning plus either a swag or roof top tent.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »
its a giant dirt road so any off road or semi off road trailer will do. Just take some basic spares and before you leave give the trailer a good going over putting some extra clamps or the like on any plumbing that may rattle loose and some split tubing over any exposed electrical wires underneath.

Just need to go around and put some duct tape or make up some covers for any vents and the like as it will be the dust that is the main issue. Replace any dust seals that look worn before you leave.

Take some basic spares and a tyre kit (or second spare if you run and odd size) and go and have fun.

In an absolute worse case senario on the Gibb is you will be waiting for 1/2 hour till another car comes along
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
My Cub followed me down the GRR ,after the Tanami Track through the Kimberly . Traveled well , all did was change the wheel bearings before departure . l also carried a spare set & grease seals . Quick set at camp makes the trip a pleasure  .    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »
When we did the GRR (in May) we saw just about every brand of camper and caravan made. The road was quite good but the Kalumburu/ Mitchell Falls Roads were both shockers and wrecked quite a few cars and campers. Apart from those roads, most people were going well.

While we were camped in Manning Gorge we had a brand new Jayco Sterling van about 20' long pull in beside us. The peanut towing it had left Kununurra that morning and was going to be in Derby the next afternoon. The van was still in one piece at that stage but I would have loved to seen it at the end of his trip.

Have good tyres on whatever you choose, take your time, and as the others have said, get/give it a good service (particularly wheel bearings) before you go and you should be fine.

Just enjoy it as it is a spectacular part of the country.

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
After traveling the GRR last year, my advice would be check your wheel nuts and drive at a sensible pace.

The number of vehicles towing that thought they were on a sealed highway was unbelievable. Yes the vehicle was handling the corrugations but he trailers were bouncing all over the place and most of them had plumbing and wiring hanging down below dragging on the ground.

Passed 5 trailers with sheared off wheel studs. One couple when asked hadn't checked the wheel nuts since they picked up their trailer a month before.

I just dropped my tyre pressures and drove at no more than 80km/h and not one issue with my Cub.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »
Hi Brim, Gee as others have said you will be hoping to go up and across the Gibb till very late April or May, My mate was a barra guide at Home Valley station a few years ago, it was a real dry year and they had to load his 4wd on the back of HV boggie drive truck to get across the Pentecost river at the end of April,  if you are a fishermen do not forget a 3.8m tinny and 15hp outboard unreel fishing up around Kalumburu, Craig
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:59:33 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline LisaMoose

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
We’ve actually just got back from our trip across the Gibb towing a mountain trail EDX. We had absolutely no dramas and no dust ingress at all. Tyre pressures at 25 and kept speed down to 80km/h. The Gibb is not too bad at all compared to other roads such as the one up to Mitchell falls (did that on another trip). The West end of the Gibb is usually in better condition than the East. It was a quiet time of year to go but people were towing all sorts of brands of trailers. Saw quite a few Cubs.
Like others have suggested if travelling alone maybe a roof top tent, oztent etc might be a better way to go with a well kitted out vehicle. When towing you have 2 vehicles to worry about doubling your chances of something going wrong, worse fuel economy, compromised acceleration when overtaking etc. Also in WA you are speed limited to 100km/hr when towing. When travelling huge distances that actually starts to make a difference.
If going for a trailer look for something well balanced with your car. We noticed that there  are some makes of trailers which dip significantly on the tow ball looking like it must be creating huge weight and pressures on the tow ball and rear of the vehicle.
The Kimberley is amazing. My favourite part of the country. Good luck with your decisions and have fun planning your trip.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:17:31 PM by LisaMoose »