Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 49805 times)

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
This is a press release from 4WD QLD released today regarding these issues. Gives some background into what's happened and what they (4WD QLD)are trying to address on your behalf.

4WD QLD Press Release

Thats the most effective explanation and argument I have read on the whole topic. I would recommend anyone who maybe affected by "Operation Lift" keep and refer to a copy of that Press Release. Thanks MrCruza.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Thats the most effective explanation and argument I have read on the whole topic. I would recommend anyone who maybe affected by "Operation Lift" keep and refer to a copy of that Press Release. Thanks MrCruza.

Cheers Nomad.

Everyone should support (join  ;D) their local 4WD club, most of whom are affiliated with 4WD QLD. It's the only real voice we have.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
They are looking as there are many are over the magic 50mm, but 90% never bothered to get the mod plate to say its good. They don't get the mod plate because its done on the cheap and engineers cost $$. Because they have done it on the cheap they also go for wheel spacers and extended shackles to give them the look they want, but its also a fair bet that they aren't spending the $$ on maintenance that they probably should.

And you can go up to 50mm with tyres/body blocks/suspension, its not one or the other. Anymore and you have to start employing an engineer to run the numbers and probably do some track testing.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications/NCOP/20sectionlssuspensionsteering.pdf?

That looks like it was in 2015, think they may have just changed it to Minor Modification-VSI G19.9
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
This is a press release from 4WD QLD released today regarding these issues. Gives some background into what's happened and what they (4WD QLD)are trying to address on your behalf.

4WD QLD Press Release

Don't know about the 4WD Queensland, but after the handling of this matter and other 4wd related matters involving 4WD NSW, they are pretentious bunch of back slappers that achieve absolutely sweet stuff all.  On the subject of raising 4wds back whenever it was, even 4WD Australia and all the combined 4WD State groups had very little to do with anything.  If it wasn't for the AAAA being involved we would be stuck with bog stock 4wds.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »

4WD QLD Press Release

4wd Qld looks like it could do with a lesson in brevity,  seriously how many people do they expect to read an 8 page press release,  especially when the first couple of pages are verging on grandstanding. I am not trying to have a go at them as an organisation but if they are wanting to change people's minds they need to work on their delivery.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
Why would they bother having such a blitz on The Goldy, they should be hanging out at Glasshouse Mountains, Bribie or Teewah and even Plunkett Reserve (where they ilkegally drive) if they want to really put a dint in illegal vehicles.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »

Any vehicle shown on the telly would most definitely be in the “shut up and pay the fine” group. After all of the whinging 4wd Qld have basically agreed with the law and ratified the actions of the police.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »
Why would they bother having such a blitz on The Goldy, they should be hanging out at Glasshouse Mountains, Bribie or Teewah and even Plunkett Reserve (where they ilkegally drive) if they want to really put a dint in illegal vehicles.

You might be surprised how many are modified more for looks rather than performance and rarely leave the blacktop, but I wouldn't be surprised if they show up at a few of the above-mentioned places as well.

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:40 PM »
This might be getting a bit of track but what if there was like special interest plates for the bigger 4wds? Keeps them of the road a bit, i do have a big 4wd and its those have 6inchs of lift no money has been spared upgraded brakes etc. No i dont drive it everyday and when i drive  it i drive it no faster then 90 on a highway and i drive it slow around town, i can see why people want them of the road when they have been lifted on the cheap and people drive them flat out. I guess what im saying maybe have a option for people doing the right thing.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
You might be surprised how many are modified more for looks rather than performance and rarely leave the blacktop, but I wouldn't be surprised if they show up at a few of the above-mentioned places as well.
yeah wasn't really meaning they won't get thier fair share of vehicles on The Goldy, just reckon they'd get more dangerously modded vehicles off the road by visiting those other locations.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »
And we’re back to the PR thing....

They ping a few new model Ford Rangers with too much lift and wheels hanging out past the guards and they get a whole bunch of threads/chats just like this one going on across all platforms that 4wd enthusiasts use and everyone gets all fired up.

If the strongly worded opinions of your peers can help convince you that you shouldn’t do that modification or get the one you already have engineered and plated properly, then those 35 odd trained officers have just had a massive reach across the state/country without even having to leave the Gold Coast.

I’d take a stab in the dark and say there’s probably quite a few poser dual cab utes on the Goldie these days that would never risk getting damaged on proper tracks anyway.
While the rest of us are just hoping there’s enough posers to keep the coppers busy down there and they don’t feel like coming up here harassing the rest of us normal people... ;D

PS,
Note the smiley face at the end there.....

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
yeah wasn't really meaning they won't get thier fair share of vehicles on The Goldy, just reckon they'd get more dangerously modded vehicles off the road by visiting those other locations.

Probably right there Mal. Not sure the Goldie is the new Mansfield. 😂 I was at the local tyre shop this morning where it was all they talked about. They believed there is a dealerdown there  selling lifted (illegal) late model utes second hand and making a motza. Their thoughts were that it was to discourage young guys from buying or modifying similarly. Not so sure myself as I’d think DOT would get involved at the dealer level first surely.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »

A bloke at work just purchased a 2015 BT50 from the original owner. The original owner fitted 3” suspension lift, suspension spacers, 35” mud tyres with a wider outside the guards offset, winch bar, light bar, LED driving lights, UHF antenna with no radio, roof basket with high lift jack and side awning. Never been off road. When the new owner opened the awning bag the instructions and poles fell out, never used.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
Seriously, why are you letting facts get in the way of a good cop bashing conspiracy theory arguement?

KB

sorry my bad

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
The forgotten part is also how much more load some modifications put on the vehicle...

There's a reason why the Land Cruiser is running 7.50R16s and not the 33x12.5R15s that were on it when we got it. Whilst it looked great, it was a prick to park and drive with no power steering... 7.50R16s are going to get replaced in time with 235/85R16s as I don't want to go wider, but the height is pretty good.

Offline Luke_D

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
There was a craze earlier this year down the Gold Coast where a lot of young guys were getting 3” lift in the front and leaving rear stock to create the Trophy Truck look. Hopefully this all dies down soon and more uniform,  clear and sensible  laws throughout Australia can be achieved.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »
There was a craze earlier this year down the Gold Coast where a lot of young guys were getting 3” lift in the front and leaving rear stock to create the Trophy Truck look. Hopefully this all dies down soon and more uniform,  clear and sensible  laws throughout Australia can be achieved.

If they're higher at the front than rear, that's a defect straight up.  Gives the B.I.B. a reason to look more closely at what else has been done.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »
A bloke at work just purchased a 2015 BT50 from the original owner. The original owner fitted 3” suspension lift, suspension spacers, 35” mud tyres with a wider outside the guards offset, winch bar, light bar, LED driving lights, UHF antenna with no radio, roof basket with high lift jack and side awning. Never been off road. When the new owner opened the awning bag the instructions and poles fell out, never used.
I wonder how it past the roadworthy then for to transfer?
That's another issue that needs to be resolved.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
Back in the 90’s they knew when every club event was on at LCMP and regularly spread the net that way. I haven’t ever seen or heard of them at teewah but I’ve seen them twice at inskip doing compliance. I also got weighed at 2.00 am at Boondall - whole northbound highway getting done for RBT/compliance. I was towing a boat to 1770 and they weighed my rear and boat axles, had a walk around and let me go. Plenty of 4wd’s with HID/LED inserts parked up. Those things are basically a beacon. The other time was similar middle of the night, whole highway setup at Benaraby, Gladstone.
They get around a bit.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:29 AM »
This might be getting a bit of track but what if there was like special interest plates for the bigger 4wds? Keeps them of the road a bit, i do have a big 4wd and its those have 6inchs of lift no money has been spared upgraded brakes etc. No i dont drive it everyday and when i drive  it i drive it no faster then 90 on a highway and i drive it slow around town, i can see why people want them of the road when they have been lifted on the cheap and people drive them flat out. I guess what im saying maybe have a option for people doing the right thing.
[/b]

There is an option Brodie...everyone should be doing it....just keep it legal. Unfortunately the roads are getting more congested every day. Long weekends, holidays and normal weekends can be a nightmare on our roads.  The more vehicles that are legal, safe and roadworthy can only be a good thing.  I,ve lost mates due to road accidents. You dont need a tough looking 4wd nowadays to get out and enjoy the bush.  All the state emergency vehicles, telstra remote vehicles, power and water vehicles, cops and many other govt departments have basically stock vehicles with the addition of a bullbar and radio and all go to remote areas most people will never get to. They do it safely and reliably without 35 inch tyres and 4 inch lift.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
Every vehicle on the road has a tyre placard which states the size of tyres legally able to be fitted to that vehicle.  Every tyre fitted to a vehicle has the size of that tyre stamped on it.  The ADR rules, available to all, clearly states the legal maximum you can increase your tyre size.  Don’t think you need to be a qualified mechanic to work that out.  Shit some mechanics are nothing more than oil and filter changers these days.

KB

The placard is not necessarily an indication of how bigger tyre you can run. You are allowed to go 50mm bigger than the largest tyre in your model range. If a higher spec vehicle in your model has larger tyres than your vehicle, but only cosmetic changes (nothing to suspension, driveline, brakes etc) you can go 50mm beyond that.

I've been trying to find information about ESC vehicles - can you definitively tell me whether you can run bigger tyres on vehicles with ESC? It's as clear as mud to me.

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
The placard is not necessarily an indication of how bigger tyre you can run. You are allowed to go 50mm bigger than the largest tyre in your model range. If a higher spec vehicle in your model has larger tyres than your vehicle, but only cosmetic changes (nothing to suspension, driveline, brakes etc) you can go 50mm beyond that.

I've been trying to find information about ESC vehicles - can you definitively tell me whether you can run bigger tyres on vehicles with ESC? It's as clear as mud to me.

Aaron

ESC vehicles can have a 50mm lift of either tyres, suspension or blocks but not a combination thereof before needing to be assessed and certified. Well for any state signed up to the NCOP which is most of them.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »

I saw something come through Facebook yesterday and apparently the cops did a blitz in the Glasshouse Mountains on Sunday and got a fair share of illegally raised 4WD's plus a number of unregistered 4WD's & Bikes.  I've only been to Glasshouse a couple of times, but it's a magnet for older Patrols/Hilux's which require a step ladder to get in. 

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Measurement of height rule for a GQ Nissan Partol Wagon : Vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch opening at unladen mass.

It would be interesting to see how this measurement is applied ,

How does one get the wheel centre accurate with a tape measure ?

If vehicle is fitted with factory flares , where do they measure the top of wheel arch opening. Flare or mudguard ?
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
Measurement of height rule for a GQ Nissan Partol Wagon : Vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch opening at unladen mass.

It would be interesting to see how this measurement is applied ,

How does one get the wheel centre accurate with a tape measure ?

If vehicle is fitted with factory flares , where do they measure the top of wheel arch opening. Flare or mudguard ?
What about JK wranglers...
Get a stock standard JK and fit a set of completely legal after market flat flares and the center of hub to guard dimension is now about 3.5” bigger.
That stock car must be illegal now right?