Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 49706 times)

KingBilly

Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
This is a press release from 4WD QLD released today regarding these issues. Gives some background into what's happened and what they (4WD QLD)are trying to address on your behalf.

4WD QLD Press Release

Just spent some time reading this press release.  Lots of misinformation in it.  Be wary of some advice contained within it.

KB
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:00:24 PM by KingBilly »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »
I saw something come through Facebook yesterday and apparently the cops did a blitz in the Glasshouse Mountains on Sunday and got a fair share of illegally raised 4WD's plus a number of unregistered 4WD's & Bikes.  I've only been to Glasshouse a couple of times, but it's a magnet for older Patrols/Hilux's which require a step ladder to get in.
my wife was telling me lastnight that a chick at her work went down The Goldy with her boyfriend on the weekend to take thier boat out fishing...they had a check going on at the boat ramp that they went to (don’t know which it was), everything was weighed and thier boat found to be 100kg over thier limit, so it had to go home on a tilt tray apparently.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
ESC vehicles can have a 50mm lift of either tyres, suspension or blocks but not a combination thereof before needing to be assessed and certified. Well for any state signed up to the NCOP which is most of them.

That's what I have heard. I can't see the difference between a 50mm suspension lift and a 25mm tyre/25mm suspension lift to justify it though.

What happens if you have an approved GVM kit, which has larger tyres on the placard, and also lifts the vehicle by about 25m? Still legal?

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
That's what I have heard. I can't see the difference between a 50mm suspension lift and a 25mm tyre/25mm suspension lift to justify it though.

What happens if you have an approved GVM kit, which has larger tyres on the placard, and also lifts the vehicle by about 25m? Still legal?

Aaron
or portal axles
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2018, 12:28:59 PM »

Aaron

Yes, because it is placarded. That clause in the NCOP only states how far you can go before needing to get your car assessed. Quite often it is no big deal to get it assessed and plated as you have done, but people just don't bother.
The following users thanked this post: Aaron Schubert

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
my wife was telling me lastnight that a chick at her work went down The Goldy with her boyfriend on the weekend to take thier boat out fishing...they had a check going on at the boat ramp that they went to (don’t know which it was), everything was weighed and thier boat found to be 100kg over thier limit, so it had to go home on a tilt tray apparently.

Must be a largish vessel or a small tug. My 6 metre Sportfish came in around 2.3 tonne, fully loaded.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
Hi Gents, So are 265 x 16 ATs tires and a 50mm coil spring lift that may have sagged a bit after 4 years, with no body lift is that going to be legal on my 1990 80 series, It must be close as my spedo is still 4ks reading out as I have to be doing 104 to be doing 100ks by Gps,with new tires and 105 or 6 if the tires are half worn out,  Thanks Craig
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:56:59 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
Hi Gents, So are 265 x 16 ATs tires and a 50mm coil spring lift that may have sagged a bit after 4 years, with no body lift is that going to be legal on my 1990 80 series, It must be close as my spedo is still 4ks reading out as I have to be doing 104 to be doing 100ks by Gps,with new tires and 105 or 6 if the tires are half worn out,  Thanks Craig

Suspension lift should be ok, what is standard tyre size and are your 265 x??? 16 o just straight 265 x 16

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »

Craig, I reckon your 80 would have the same tyre rating as my old 'tilley. This is my placard. No profile dimension mentioned so, should that even be taken into account?

A real bureaucratic  mish mash really.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:29:31 PM by Steffo1 »
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
  https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator    From a LandRover forum

" in short a 7.50R16 is about 31.64 inch and a 235/85/16 is about 31.72 inch, pretty much the same theoretically "
Whats the side wall ratio CT   "  265 X ?? X R 16
https://tiresize.com/comparison/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:54:35 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
Must be a largish vessel or a small tug. My 6 metre Sportfish came in around 2.3 tonne, fully loaded.

Maybe the boat is on a trailer that wasn't designed/registered for the weight of a the boat?  IE: The trailer can carry up to 1200 kgs and the boat weighs 1300kgs.

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
Yes, because it is placarded. That clause in the NCOP only states how far you can go before needing to get your car assessed. Quite often it is no big deal to get it assessed and plated as you have done, but people just don't bother.

Cheers for the information. The ironic thing is that I only got it signed off through ARB because of the GVM upgrade. The original plan was just to fit bigger tyres and their 30mm suspension kit, staying within the 50mm maximum roof height increase. It was only because of the paperwork/engineering side of the GVM upgrade (the kit is exactly the same) that it got signed off.

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »
You are fine Craig. No VSC and no IFS you get 75mm in combination.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Vehicle-standards-instructions/G19.pdf?la=en

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
I wonder it the show pony LC79’s will arrive at the shows on trucks  since all of the Patriot, JMacx, Marks portals, ect ones does not comply with the different lift options
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
I wonder how it past the roadworthy then for to transfer?
That's another issue that needs to be resolved.

NSW don’t require rego inspections for the first 5 years of a new vehicle.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

So with that logic, I know how to switch a light on, does that make me qualified enough to rewire your house??

Yep, In Sydney it does!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Back in my box!
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »
Love to see what they thought of my 6+in suspension, 2in body lifted and 35's on my old GQ passed the swerve test - the lot = Fully Engineered :D

Who is more educated if my GQ was safe - the engineer with 25 years experience in 4wds, or some 20yr old cop who was forced to do a 1 days training clinic on the evils of 4wd's..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
I don't think the boat is that big (if it's the one I have pics of them fishing on previously), so reckon the tug is on the smaller side or like Beachman said, maybe trailer not up to the task....when I see the chick next I'll certainly be quizzing her more on what the go was.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
Maybe the boat is on a trailer that wasn't designed/registered for the weight of a the boat?  IE: The trailer can carry up to 1200 kgs and the boat weighs 1300kgs.
If that's the reason,  a fair decision then.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:34:49 PM by Steffo1 »
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline driordon

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
ESC vehicles can have a 50mm lift of either tyres, suspension or blocks but not a combination thereof before needing to be assessed and certified. Well for any state signed up to the NCOP which is most of them.

No not in Qld, this is where the confusion is coming in because they are now referring to the Qld code of practice instead of the national code. It's all in the wording a vehicle without VSC is considered a vehicle lift, a vehicle with VSC its called a suspension lift and larger tyres would require engineer approval. 

The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height
Without ESC-
A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self-certification.
A vehicle lift between 76mm and 125mm inclusive, combining a suspension lift, a tyre diameter increase and a body lift (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body lift 50mm) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
With ESC
A suspension lift up to and including 50mm is acceptable under self-certification. A vehicle lift over 50 mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the height of the vehicle but more the operation of the VSC as VSC work by applying brake pressure to the wheel that requires it, obviously if you go changing the rolling diameter of the wheel more braking force will be required to stop it but the VSC computer is not smart enough to recognise this on the operation of the VSC will be hampered.

The whole thing has been poorly handled but with Xmas parties fast approaching some departments obviously need a it of extra revenue.
2013 Y62 Patrol ST-L
2015 Altitude Campers Pinnacle

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
Love to see what they thought of my 6+in suspension, 2in body lifted and 35's on my old GQ passed the swerve test - the lot = Fully Engineered :D

Who is more educated if my GQ was safe - the engineer with 25 years experience in 4wds, or some 20yr old cop who was forced to do a 1 days training clinic on the evils of 4wd's..
That's the whole point. You can go up to the limit without an engineer. If you end to go beyond that then you need an engineer. Everyone is getting hung up on the idea that is is automatically a death trap 1mm above the limit. It just means it is not legal above that. (without engineer)
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: arjay, GBC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2018, 05:46:54 AM »
No not in Qld, this is where the confusion is coming in because they are now referring to the Qld code of practice instead of the national code. It's all in the wording a vehicle without VSC is considered a vehicle lift, a vehicle with VSC its called a suspension lift and larger tyres would require engineer approval. 

The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height
Without ESC-
A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self-certification.
A vehicle lift between 76mm and 125mm inclusive, combining a suspension lift, a tyre diameter increase and a body lift (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body lift 50mm) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
With ESC
A suspension lift up to and including 50mm is acceptable under self-certification. A vehicle lift over 50 mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the height of the vehicle but more the operation of the VSC as VSC work by applying brake pressure to the wheel that requires it, obviously if you go changing the rolling diameter of the wheel more braking force will be required to stop it but the VSC computer is not smart enough to recognise this on the operation of the VSC will be hampered.

The whole thing has been poorly handled but with Xmas parties fast approaching some departments obviously need a it of extra revenue.

That is not what I have been told or what is being practised by the major tyre companies we have accounts with. All our fleet utes get a size bigger tyres without question. I’ll follow up. The link I posted was straight from the TMR Qld G19.9 Minor Modifications Document, not the NCOP.

EDIT: The Qld cope of Practice only deals with assessable lifts higher than 50mm - LS9 and LS10 certification.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:11:25 AM by GBC »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2018, 06:32:35 AM »
<snip>

That's the point I've been trying to make!! :angel: :angel: :cheers: :cheers:

No not in Qld, this is where the confusion is coming in because they are now referring to the Qld code of practice instead of the national code.

<snip>

Exactly!! QLD are using their own rules and not VSB14 (or ADR's for that matter) which is the national code and lining their pockets by making us PROVE we comply with VSB14 (or the ADR's).

From VSB14.
INTENT AND PURPOSE
VSB 14 has been prepared to provide guidance for those who intend to manufacture an
Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) or to carry out light vehicle modifications. Its ultimate aim
is to ensure that each completed vehicle is safe for use on the road and that the level of safety
afforded by a vehicle to its passengers and other road users is not compromised by any
modifications.
One of the principal aims of the VSB 14 project is to provide a nationally acceptable set of
technical specifications that ensure that the manufacture of ICVs and the modification of
production vehicles comply with the applicable requirements of the Australian Design Rules
(ADRs) and the AVSR.
Compliance with VSB 14 requirements will help ensure that work undertaken satisfies the
regulatory requirements of jurisdictions.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »

Of course the engineer is, and if had signed off on it being OK then they would have just let you go, simples.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
Of course the engineer is, and if had signed off on it being OK then they would have just let you go, simples.

As soon as you say, "but that is blue plated sir", I can guarantee you that the fine toothed comb will come out and more of your time will be wasted because you are now considered a smartass.......... and if there is a bit of mud where it shouldn't be, off to DOT you go!!

Nothing to do with the fact that you are dragged off the road and away from where you were going under the "assumption" your vehicle "looks" illegal!!
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....