Author Topic: Update on Road conditions for the Cape  (Read 37008 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Update on Road conditions for the Cape
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »

Some info I got about the road conditions for the Cape.

"A lot of people have been asking about the roads post Ita. To every one I said the dust needs to settle before I even know myself.

Now that the shortest term impacts are gone and the large scale cleanup is well underway, I can give you the picture.

First - Cyclone Ita only affected the area roughly around Cooktown (if you will head straight up along the Peninsula Developmental and don't visit the Cooktown area, you may want to scroll down to the rest of the roads).

Its path went from Cape Flattery to Cooktown, then Cape Tribulation, Port Douglas, Cairns and its Northern Beaches, before turning off the coast a bit south of Cairns and getting out of the area I can talk about.

But - there was a big difference in its strength - and consequently its destruction.

It crossed the coast at Cape Flattery as a category four tropical cyclone.

By the time it got to Cooktown, it had downgraded to category three, because it had already had to cross some land.

And soon after Cooktown it quickly downgraded further to category one, as it kept crossing the land (they need the ocean waters to keep their power I believe most of you know).

So you can picture, the most damage is between Cape Flattery and Cooktown, also in and around Cooktown, but much less in Cape Tribulation and south of it.

So the roads in the path of Cyclone Ita:

The coastal road from Cairns to Cape Tribulation is all sealed and open as is the inland road (Mulligan Highway) to Cooktown.

The coastal road from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown is not doable due to the Bloomfield River causeway not fixed yet since the cyclone (they ARE building a bridge there which will make things a lot easier - but I would not want to guess at this stage when it will be ready).

Bloomfield Road itself is open but there are washouts, and if you give it a few weeks, it will most likely be a lot better.

The road from Wujal Wujal to Cooktown is open, and CREB Track is closed as always this early in the season.

The Lions Den that was damaged and flooded after Ita is back in business and welcomes visitors again.

Cape Bedford and Cape Flattery are technically closed at this stage. Battle Camp Road is closed, Starcke Wakooka Track is closed and will likely be so for a good while yet.

The rest of the roads (as the cyclone season officially ended today, we can assume there are no more surprises coming):

Peninsula Developmental is open all the way to Weipa (even though Archer River could still play up this time of the year), and you can also get to Mapoon.

The road to Lockhart River and Iron Range is not closed, but the river and creek crossings are high, and could be too high to get through depending on the recent weather the day you go. And the same goes for Frenchmans.

The Old Telegraph Track is not good - from what I hear the creek waters are still high.

The road to the Tip is boggy in places but open.

And all that said - some of the things above can change very quickly depending on the recent weather - in the big picture, the later you visit the better are your chances."

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
Re: Update on Road conditions for the Cape
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
Hi all,

Update, have friend just returned from Skardon River, entered in via Heathland ranger station, OTL track from southern bypass to OTL near Cholmondeley Creek, lots of washouts along track section.

Road gangs working along the main road sections of the Peninsula, Telegraph and Bypass roads.

Washouts, pot holes and water lying in most creek crossing north of Weipa turnoff  . Travelling north they saw a few cars but trip back ten days later saw heavy increase in vehicle and trucks heading north.

regards, Chris.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »

Update from Tourism Cape York

G'day Folks, Tourism Cape York has just returned from a 6 day trip up to the top (Pajinka) via Lockhart and Weipa. The roads have been great, many were freshly graded. There are some sections of corrugation between Laura and Musgrave, and a bit further north, but we had one of the smoothest trips yet. We even saw a bunch of off-road caravans at Coen and Moreton.
We did get water on the bonnet going into Twin and Elliot Falls, so don't try it unless you have a snorkel! will post a short video when my passenger sends it to me.

a list of Park opening dates:
Rinyirru (Lakefield) National Park- The southern section of the park is anticipated to reopen 30 May 2014. The northern section of the park is anticipated to re-open 30 June 2014. Closure dates are subject to favourable road conditions.

Palmer Goldfields Resources Reserve- It is anticipated to re-open 2 June 2014

Jardine River National Park, Jardine, River Resources Reserve and Heathland Resources Reserve- The South Jardine River camping area is currently closed due to flooding. The camping area is anticipated to re-open 13 June 2014.

Oyala Thumotang National Park- Heavy rain has caused roads to become impassable. The park is expected to re-open 14 June 2014.

Cape Melville National Park- The wet season closure has been extended for Cape Melville National Park (CYPAL) due to severe damage to the access road. It is anticipated to re-open 15 August 2014.
Keatings Lagoon Conservation Park- Due to the impacts of Tropical Cyclone Ita, Keatings Lagoon Conservation Park remains closed until further notice.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
Reports from last week had crossings on the Frenchmans track at chest deep, the Palm Ck exit was a disaster with only those on 37" tyres able to drive out, Cockatoo is almost a winch job on the exit, and for a bit of good news, last year's new far right entry at Nolans was doable, though the original entry had a hole chest deep on a 6'1" guy.

Gotta love a late wet. If reports are true, you're in for some fun >:D >:D ;D

For us unlucky buggers stuck at home, we'll be waiting for photos...lots of 'em :cup:
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

If we have to we can by pass Palm Creek and cockatoo will be interesting.

not doing the northern OTL this trip.

Mark

Offline scott8888

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »
I received this info in an email today - Cape York News #029 (i do not own this information - link at the bottom)

"LATE MAY ROAD UPDATE

People have been asking about the roads, and although this time of the year the road conditions are changing fast, here is an update.

Peninsula Developmental Road is open and graded through Laura, Coen, Weipa turnoff.

The coastal road via Cooktown, Bloomfield Road and Battlecamp Road is still not an option (leave it to your way back and it could be open then).

Bloomfield Road is closed, CREB Track is closed.

Battlecamp is likely to open very soon (high clearance vehicles are getting through now).

Cape Bedford and Cape Flattery I hear will open soon.

The main road through Lakefield National Park is to open very soon.

The Starcke Wakooka Track to Cape Melville is closed but they are working on it.

The road from Musgrave to Pormpuraaw is open, but the one between Pormpuraaw and Kowanyama is closed.

Burke Developmental Road is open, and the road from BDR to Kowanyama is open.

The road to Port Stewart is open, Silver Plains is open, Running Creek Track is boggy and not wise without a winch or another vehicle.

The road to Lockhart River and Iron Range National Park is open, but obviously the waters are still up like everywhere else on the peninsula, and this road can become impassable quickly if it rains enough.

Frenchman's Track can be anything from boggy to impassable depending on the water levels in Pascoe and Wenlock, which are affected by the amount of rain in the days before you go.

Weipa and Mapoon are both open.

The Old Telegraph Track - people are winching through, so if you are not that extreme, it is not for you just yet. And that said, like elsewhere, things can change very quickly.

And finally, the road to the Tip is open, and the main roads in the Northern Peninsula Area are open."

http://www.cape-york-australia.com/

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »

Yes it will be interesting trip with the southern otl. I factored in any hard spots and we will be doing a check of Palm Creek once we arrive at Bramwell Junction before we take the rest of the group through.
Back up plan is coming in through heathlands to Dulhunty River.

Regarding cockatoo creek, the entry in I expect to be rough as it has been undermined in 2012.

Being it on as we have Yogi's weapon to support us  ;D

Mark

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
The Bloomfield road / track from Cape Tribulation north is OPEN , however it has a 5t load limit on the causeway ... It has a few red clay sections that are still a bit slippery and work continues clearing land slips and vegetation from the Cyclone .. I know this as I was up there yesterday.

The CREB track is CLOSED and it could be quite a while yet before that gets cleared ..

Cheers

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
And there I was thinking that the coach track would be the most interesting :D
Must say I'm not interested in chest deep holes  >:(

:cheers:

Peter
Cat slave

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
And there I was thinking that the coach track would be the most interesting :D
Must say I'm not interested in chest deep holes  >:(

Peter

Peter

We won't be tackling that part of the OTL. All tracks will be looked at before we attempt any.

Trust Me  ;D

Mark

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »
Peter

We won't be tackling that part of the OTL. All tracks will be looked at before we attempt any.

Trust Me  ;D

Mark

.....and McGirr, being our intrepid leader, gets to boldly go first...... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
.....and McGirr, being our intrepid leader, gets to boldly go first...... ;D ;D

With the intrepid words " Follow Me " McGirr takes the lead and looks back with no one following  ;D

Mark

Online GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
With the intrepid words " Follow Me " McGirr takes the lead and looks back with no one following  ;D

Mark

.....and sees everyone pointing and laughing...... ;D ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »

Mark

I thought that was after Yogi and Symon had already checked the track  ;D

Peter
Cat slave

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
You'll learn to ignore the Cape grapevine Peter. You'll be fine. Besides, you're in great hands ;)  :cheers:
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 07:32:59 AM »

Considering you are the only person I know who has managed to get stuck going down a hill, it might be best to let Yogi through first.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Online GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 07:35:56 AM »
 ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
Considering you are the only person I know who has managed to get stuck going down a hill, it might be best to let Yogi through first.

Lets not forget who was guiding me in  ;D ;D ;D

Mark

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »
Mark VS the tribe has spoken and we are sending you in first at Palm Creek.

This is the exit:

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
I notice you didn't show him the entry  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
I notice you didn't show him the entry  ;D

If I did he would not come on the trip  :D

Mark

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
 :o     it'd be no problem for a Pajero    >:D

2012 Crusader X Country

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »
:o     it'd be no problem for a Pajero    >:D

Of course it won't be, we will let him keep thinking that  ;D ;D

Mark

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
PMSL   :cheers:

2012 Crusader X Country

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

He is a great driver and he trusts me  :D

Can't get any better than that.

Mark