Author Topic: Itinerary Update  (Read 12484 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Itinerary Update
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
Dates have not changed.

Dates: Sat  21st June 2014 to Sat 5th July We leave the week before the Qld school holidays.

Cape York 2014

Sat: Cairns to Maytown: We leave Cairns and travel inland through Mareeba and turn off the bitumen and head to historic Maytown. 

Sunday: Spend the day exploring historical Maytown.

Monday: today we tackle the tough and slow going Old Coach Road and stay overnight at Jowalbinna Rock Art Safari Camp.

Tuesday : Continue to Archer River Roadhouse.

Wednesday:  Archer River Roadhouse to Dulhunty River. Today we tackle the start of the OTL and camp at Dulhunty River.

Thursday: Dulhunty River. Enjoy a day relaxing in the clear waters of the Dulhunty River.

Friday: Dulhunty River to Eliot Falls. We tackle the remaining southern part of the OTL crossing, Gunshot creek and Cockatoo Creek.

Saturday: relax and swim in the crystal clear waters of the falls. Members must book the camp sites at Eliot falls. I will advise which sites to book and when as we can only book 6 months in advance.

Sunday: Eliot Falls to Cotterell River. We travel via the Development road to Vrilya Point and take a southern route along the beach to Cotterell River. Approx 28klm drive along the beach.

Monday: Explore the area , fish and watch the stunning sunsets over the Gulf.

Tuesday: Members have the option to stay on or head up to the Cape.

Wednesday to Thursday: Explore the Cape and the surrounding areas.

Friday: head back south.  :'(

Members do not have to stick to the intinerary and can do what ever they would like.

Members can also bypass some of the OTL if they wish and catch up at the campsites we will be staying at.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Glenno

• Tent User
  • Happy when I'm in the red dirt!
Re: Itinerary Update
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 05:10:26 AM »
Mark, what a great sounding trip!!! 

Wish I had unlimited holidays....

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:48:14 AM »
Wish I had unlimited holidays....

I thought you did.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Glenno

• Tent User
  • Happy when I'm in the red dirt!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »

I thought you did.....

I admit I've had a good run at it...... "But Sir, can I please have more...?"

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
I'll probably only spend a day up at Seisia - will have the photo at the tip, stock up at the supermarket and head back down and brave the east coast for a day or two - Captain Billy Landing perhaps if anyone else is keen?
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline 87Bravo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • See My Build - 87Bravo's Home built Camper
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
Hi Mark, and thanks for the informative phone call the other day!

I noticed your Itinerary doesn't include travelling the northern section of the OTT and as we were planning on doing this (from Elliot Falls to Loyalty Beach in one day )I was wondering why  ???

Is it not recommended with campers, too hard or maybe too long a day, or some other reason?

Some insight would be gratetfull  :cheers:

Mark
Built NOT Bought!

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »
Hi Mark, and thanks for the informative phone call the other day!

I noticed your Itinerary doesn't include travelling the northern section of the OTT and as we were planning on doing this (from Elliot Falls to Loyalty Beach in one day )I was wondering why  ???

Is it not recommended with campers, too hard or maybe too long a day, or some other reason?

Some insight would be gratetfull  :cheers:

Mark

Most of us have done the northern OTL a number of times plus we head across to Vrilya point and its easier taking the turn off past SAMs creek to the bypass road.

We have a full day at Eliots Falls so members can do the northern OTL if they like.  Yes you can take campers. Have a look at some of the old trip reports and you will see campers have been taken.

Depending on the track and the traffic you can do the northern OTL in a few hours as its not a long distance.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »

After numerous emails and getting a "this number is disconnected" it looks like Jowalbinna Rock Art Safari Camp is closed.

Back up campsite is Laura which is not far from Jowalbinna. They have fuel, ice and beer, oh and food. ;D

That will put us ahead a few hours when we head off the next day and we may miss Archer River and keep going to Bramwell Station which is approx an hour and a half drive from Archer River.

This will depend on time and road conditions.

http://www.tourismcapeyork.com/stay/lakeland_and_laura/accom/lauraroadhouse

http://www.bramwellstationcapeyork.com.au/welcome

Mark

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Mark   I wouldn't give up on Jowalbinna. We camped there is June last year and did the tour with the owner Steve Trezise. Pretty laid back sort of guy. Lives in Cairns and is probably just closed for the wet season. Pretty we up there as you would know. Archer River still 4 metres over the crossing. I will keep trying to get Steve as it is a very good place to Camp with plenty of room. Will ring you if I have success.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »
Mark   I wouldn't give up on Jowalbinna. We camped there is June last year and did the tour with the owner Steve Trezise. Pretty laid back sort of guy. Lives in Cairns and is probably just closed for the wet season. Pretty we up there as you would know. Archer River still 4 metres over the crossing. I will keep trying to get Steve as it is a very good place to Camp with plenty of room. Will ring you if I have success.

Thanks Martin.

Mark

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
I'll probably only spend a day up at Seisia - will have the photo at the tip, stock up at the supermarket and head back down and brave the east coast for a day or two - Captain Billy Landing perhaps if anyone else is keen?

Hi Symon,

send us a PM or if you like post up your after trip plan as we may be keen to have a look at Captain Billy's Landing if it fits in with our plans :D

Thanks
yogi

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »
Hi Symon,

send us a PM or if you like post up your after trip plan as we may be keen to have a look at Captain Billy's Landing if it fits in with our plans :D

Thanks
yogi

Cheers mate, I hadn't really locked in a plan yet, it was going to be a more "suck it and see" approach when we get up there.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline letsgo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Happy and safe travels, Chris & Kate
    • Let's Go Travel Australia
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
Hi Mark,

Was going to suggest you ring Jowalbinna Rock Art Safari Camp before going. We tried to stay there last year when we did the Old Coach Road early Aug last year. The gate was locked and no one was answering the phone. Wouldn't someone from Laura know for sure if they have closed permanently or just for the wet season.

2011 Holden Colorado Twin Cab Ute with Metalink canopy
2011 Ultra E Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Let’s Go Travel Australia

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »
Mark   Looks like you were right on Jowalbinna as research has revealed Steve has shut down the Camp Ground. Looks like we will need to find alternative Camp Grounds. From memory it is a 45 minute drive from Jowalbinna to Laura.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
Mark   Looks like you were right on Jowalbinna as research has revealed Steve has shut down the Camp Ground. Looks like we will need to find alternative Camp Grounds. From memory it is a 45 minute drive from Jowalbinna to Laura.

Am I ever wrong  ;D ;D

Yes will either look at camping in the bush or stop at Laura depending on time.

Mark

Offline letsgo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Happy and safe travels, Chris & Kate
    • Let's Go Travel Australia
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
Mark, just after Little Laura Creek on the right as you come up a hill just after the crossing there is a bit of a clearing that then leads further in to a more open area. We camped there for the night and you could see evidence that others had camped there too. You would get a few campers in there, if this helps. It's about 32km to the PDR from here, so only a few kms short of Jowalbinna.

Kate

2011 Holden Colorado Twin Cab Ute with Metalink canopy
2011 Ultra E Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Let’s Go Travel Australia

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
Mark, just after Little Laura Creek on the right as you come up a hill just after the crossing there is a bit of a clearing that then leads further in to a more open area. We camped there for the night and you could see evidence that others had camped there too. You would get a few campers in there, if this helps. It's about 32km to the PDR from here, so only a few kms short of Jowalbinna.

Kate

Thanks Kate.

I was considering that after looking at all the trip reports. I hope it fits 18 cars plus campers.

Mark 

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »

Jowalbinna camp ground will be open and they have been advised to expect us on the 22nd June.

Mark

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 06:17:54 AM »
Good news...its slowly coming together  :cup: :cup:

Luke

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Jowalbinna camp ground will be open and they have been advised to expect us on the 22nd June.

Mark
That's good to hear considering your early post.

:cheers:
Cat slave

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
That's good to hear considering your early post.

:cheers:

Yes it is, the number I was calling said it was disconnected and their website has not been updated for about 2 years but they will be open.

Mark

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »

Mark

Sorry had the date wrong its Monday 23rd we arrive, damn must wear my glasses more  ;D

Mark

Offline dazzaesky

• Swag User
  • Aussie Swag Rover hard floor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
Hi there mcgirr I was wondering on this trip did you take the old coach road from maytown to Laura?  If so what was it like?  Was it as tough as they say and is it suitable if you are towing a camper?  Cheers Darren

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Life's Short - Don't waste time, get out there

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
Hi there mcgirr I was wondering on this trip did you take the old coach road from maytown to Laura?  If so what was it like?  Was it as tough as they say and is it suitable if you are towing a camper?  Cheers Darren

Darren

We did the Old Coach Rd from Maytown to Jowalbinna. The track was slow going but an advenure with a large number of climbs up hills.We had a number of cars towing campers. Take your time its a great drive.

Mark

Offline dazzaesky

• Swag User
  • Aussie Swag Rover hard floor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Thanks.  We're just sorting out an itinerary for next year for same time you went on this trip.  Myself and james watt are going.  He was supposed to go with you on this trip but pulled out due to health reasons.  Based on your itinerary were there any good and bad experiences with your destinations?  Thank you, Darren

Life's Short - Don't waste time, get out there