Author Topic: For The Newbies on the Trip  (Read 2475 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
For The Newbies on the Trip
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »

The majority of the members on next years trip have been to the Cape before but for the members who have not been there here are some things that may assist in the planning.

Facilities: Places that we will be self sufficient are Maytown, Dulhunty River, Cotterell River. no toilets or showers. Twin Falls have toilets but we cannot all fit in there so some will camp at Canal Creek which is 800mtrs from the toilets at Twin Falls. all other places have facilities.

Rubbish: The biggest problem up there. Please have enough strong garbage bags to carry your rubbish. There are places along the way to dispose of it.

Food: The only major shopping places are Weipa and the Cape. Coen has a small shop plus alcohol is available. Most of the overnight places we normally will get food from the roadhouses such as Archer River and also food at Bramwell Junction. Musgrave Station is ideal for a burger at lunch time when we stop there. From Bramwell Junction we will not see any shops until the Cape for people heading up there.   

Solar / Generators: Most places you will be in shade so solar may be a problem. A lot of members have generators and don't charge much for power. ;D

Water; We will be crossing and swimming in a number of fresh water creeks but I would boil the water just in case if you wish to drink it otherwise idea for washing up, showers.

Fuel: Fuel places are Laura , Musgrave, Coen , Archer River and last place before we do the OTL is Bramwell Junction. There is plenty of Fuel at the Cape but it is not cheap.

Accommodation: The only place we will need to book is Twin / Elliots Falls. There are limited spots but we cannot book until 6 months before we arrive. I will advise as we get closer to the time. for places at the Cape there are 3 main spots. Punsand Bay, Loyalty Beach and Seisia. everyone is different to what they like.

Any questions please ask.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
Re: For The Newbies on the Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
Mark, great info mate, defo answers a few qsts that I have been thinking about.

The one qst that springs to mind regarding water.....do the road houses that are strewn up the cape have a water supply..???, I realise that water is plentiful in the creeks, and rivers like you say, but I am thinking that when we are getting fuel if you needed to replenish water then if they have a supply and its potable then we could refill as needed at these stops.

BTW, prob first of many qsts....ill apologise now.....and shout ya beer once we catch up.

:cheers: :cheers: Swanny

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: For The Newbies on the Trip
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Yes all road houses have taps to refill water tanks.

That will cost you 2 beers  ;D

Ask more question :cheers:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia