Author Topic: Palmer River , Maytown and the Old Coach Rd  (Read 15620 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Palmer River , Maytown and the Old Coach Rd
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
Some information on Palmer River and Maytown from gclan.

The Old Coach Rd was a highlight of our Cape trip last year. I've heard of some some doing it in around 6 hours+, but it took the two of us (one towing a camper trailer) just over 9 hours from Jowalbinna to Dog Leg Crossing, with a 40min lunch stop up at the Robert Logan Jack Memorial, a few quick photo stops along the track, and about 20mins trying to find the Palmer River campsite in the dark(no luck). Dog Leg Crossing is by far the better campsite anyway.

With a typical Myswag group size, you'd probably have to camp the night somewhere along the track, but I'm not sure where you are allowed to camp up on the plateau, and I can't remember if we even passed a spot large enough for a group to camp. We passed a single car heading south-north, and they'd camped the night near the old Folder's Hotel site before continuing on to Laura. The Ron and Viv Moon book might help with that.

The track is slow going, but not too difficult. There are probably only half a dozen spots that will hold a few people up. The main one being the big rock step on the western most route going up the escarpment. Coming from the south, you'll have to go 'up' it, which will require a bit of road building and possible winching. We needed to do a fair bit of road building ourselves just to get down the waist high ledge. There used to be a chicken track, but it's almost as bad as the main rock step now. Just make sure everyone is ok with the thought of some possible damage here to the underside of their campers. This was the only spot along the whole track that I was glad we going north to south, so that we could go down through the cutting. There's always the option of taking the eastern route which is supposed to be slightly easier, and avoids this big rock shelf (follow the main signs for Maytown or Laura).

If you do take the eastern route, make sure to double back and head up to the RL Jack Memorial on top of the plateau. The turn off and sign were easy to miss last year. A small overgrown track and a faded, rusted sign lying on the ground at the base of a tree.

There are several tight squeezes between trees for those with camper trailers, and some rock cuttings to negotiate that aren't hard, just time consuming. There are several long descents and ascents with small rock ledges, that you'll need guides for, and some of the creek crossing have steep exits and entries. Just make sure you've got a few good guides with you, and you'll be fine.

It's an amazing track. The history, views, and technical driving are all worthwhile. I'm personally glad we went north to south, but both directions have their good and bad points, and I think the number of hill ascents and descents all balance out roughly equally.

The road out from Maytown to Palmer River Roadhouse took us close to 3 hours, and it was a very well maintained road. The road from Laura to Jowalbinna was in really good condition too, though I can't remember how long it took.

Jowalbinna was a great campground, with flush toilets, hot showers.
I've put up quite a few photos in my Cape York trip report, and am working on a series of videos for youtube that will give you a good idea of the track if you're interested.

Many Thanks Karen 

We will spend a full day at Maytown exploring the old relics and history of the area.

http://www.tourismcapeyork.com/news/cooktownlocalnews/maytown

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/palmer-goldfield/about.html

http://www.tourismcapeyork.com/stay/lakeland_and_laura/accom/jowalbinnacamp.jpg/view

Mark

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:56:43 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: Palmer River , Maytown and the Old Coach Rd
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
Mark, I can't recall your proposed trip route BUT the museum in Cooktown has a great display model of Maytown & other stuff, we found that it put everything into place once we had been there.

We went in & out on the western route, there were 4 vehicles [3 with CT's] when we visited & we camped on the river on the way back after looking around the town & with a bigger convoy this might be an option. Can't recall how far it is but it is between the escarpment that gclan talks about & Maytown. 

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
Mark, I can't recall your proposed trip route BUT the museum in Cooktown has a great display model of Maytown & other stuff, we found that it put everything into place once we had been there.

We went in & out on the western route, there were 4 vehicles [3 with CT's] when we visited & we camped on the river on the way back after looking around the town & with a bigger convoy this might be an option. Can't recall how far it is but it is between the escarpment that gclan talks about & Maytown. 

Hem

Thanks Hem. I may have to do a weekend trip there to check things out.

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:18:49 AM »

Mark

I always luv a Reccie!!!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline FNQBunyip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:19:15 AM »

Mark

Do it before it warms up too much , lol ...We camped out there late October one trip and it was uncomfortable to say the least .. almost ran out of lubricant , lol  And we left the drive home till dusk as we didn't want to be in the ute in the heat of the day , its a slow drive coming out after dark..

cheers

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I finally got the first highlight video of the Old Coach Road finished, and it may give those who haven't been before a bit of insight into this amazing track.

Just remember that you will be going in the opposite direction and that there is an alternate road up the escarpment to the track we took down from the RL Jack Memorial (the alternate track is shown in letsgo's (Kate and Chris') report).

Offroad Highlights from the Old Coach Road - Cape York

Cheers
Karen

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:00:59 AM by gclan »
Django - 2009 Land Rover Defender 110 SVX
Marvin - Land Rover Discovery 4
Black Betty - 2007 Range Rover Sport
Bamm Bamm - 2009 Mountain Trail Extended Expedition

Misadventure 4WD http://www.youtube.com/user/JamieOGilmore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Misadventure-4WD-TV/243025632464631

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »

Thanks Karen, great video look forward to part 2.

Not sure what track to take yet  ;D

Mark
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:48:22 PM by McGirr »

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Great video, thanks Karen I'm sure the slopes are a lot steeper than they look ;D

:cheers:

Peter
Cat slave

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »
Top video. Can't wait for part 2. :cup:

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
I kicked the kids off the computer and managed to finish Part 2 of the Old Coach Road, so here it is.

Cape York 4x4 - Old Coach Road Highlights Part 2

Cheers
Karen

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
Thanks Karen.

Can't wait to tackle the track.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:02:38 PM by McGirr »

Offline Hodgies

• Tent User
  • Hodgies
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
Awesome footage Karen

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing journey.
2011 Ford Ranger
2001 K.K

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
Thanks Karen.

Not sure if its my ipad but its not very clear.

Mark

Crystal clear on my iPad.

Thanks for the footage, that is awesome
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
Crystal clear on my iPad.

Thanks for the footage, that is awesome

No all good now.

Mark

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
Getting excited.... :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »
From looking at that track it might be worthwhile for people to carry 2 spare tyres - especially if the tug doesn't match the trailer.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
From looking at that track it might be worthwhile for people to carry 2 spare tyres - especially if the tug doesn't match the trailer.

Good point Symon. I will carry a spare tyre without the Rim on the roof racks.

Mark

Offline gclan

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Misadventure 4wd
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »
Very jealous of all of you who are going up there this year >:D

We must have had luck on our side, because neither of us got a puncture, which really amazed us considering the terrain.

Mind you, our camper tyres didn't look too good when we got back to Cairns. We had to replace them for the trip south, but they had travelled across to the Kimberley and through every mainland state, plus the Cape, so they didn't do too badly overall ;D

Karen

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Thanks Karen a great video looks like you had a great trip.

:cheers:

Peter
Cat slave

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »
We must have had luck on our side, because neither of us got a puncture, which really amazed us considering the terrain.

That's what I'm thinking as well, those tracks are tyre shredding terrain.  We will be running low pressures and taking it easy but amongst 15 or so vehicles the odds are we will shred a tyre at some stage.  I know JK, McGirr and I all have the same stud pattern so there should be plenty of spares for the cruisers (not sure if GQ/GU's are the same? Duggie? Geoff?) but those of us with Pajero's, Triton's etc might consider carrying a second spare without the rim.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
I'll be bringing 2 spares on rims as usual.

Bert

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »
That's what I'm thinking as well, those tracks are tyre shredding terrain.  We will be running low pressures and taking it easy but amongst 15 or so vehicles the odds are we will shred a tyre at some stage.  I know JK, McGirr and I all have the same stud pattern so there should be plenty of spares for the cruisers (not sure if GQ/GU's are the same? Duggie? Geoff?) but those of us with Pajero's, Triton's etc might consider carrying a second spare without the rim.

Now you tell me...I just got rid of the old tyres replaced with the new BFG's. ;D ;D

Looks like I'll have to put up a wanted ad... :cheers:

Mark
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:52:07 PM by MarkVS »
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
but those of us with Pajero's, Triton's etc might consider carrying a second spare without the rim.

I would suggest a second rim as well..........I have changed enough tyres by hand, for the bit of extra weight of a rim I know I would rather do on the side of the road or the end of a days drive

I suggest to anybody who is thinking of taking just a 2nd spare tyre i.e. no rim is to change a tyre in your back yard first

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
Don't worry Mark...................I'll loan you my Tyrepliers   ;D    I love watching people change rims  :cheers:
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am not a fan of running low tyre pressures on rough tracks/roads, I keep my tyres at around the 32 pound mark as it will reduce the side wall bulge that becomes evident when running low pressures. Most rock/tyre damage is in the side wall area of the tyre, ( my experience from working in the mining industry and growing driving on rough rocky bush tracks ).

Yes GQ and GU are the same stud pattern but my rims will not go over the larger front rotors on the GU Nissan's.

All of the Japanese manufactured four wheel drives with the six stud pattern are the same pattern. The difference is the rim to rotor ratio tyre size and wheel offset, but when and if needed there will be something on a vehicle that will do for a quick fix.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "