Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488857 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »
Cheers for the help guys, won't rush into doing anything with it as i have a heap of other jobs around the house i should be doing first. The bike sat in my oldies garden shed for probably 20 years before i found it there, sadly it was a pretty damp shed with water laying on the concrete most of the time, so will take some work getting rust off of stuff. The frame is remarkably clean, though there's been a crack in the bottom of it that was welded years ago, and this needs attention which will bugger up the paint work there. For some reason i'm thinking this paint isn't original and the thing was powdercoated after that weld job was done, i could be wrong here though, as it was near 30 years ago this all happened. The tuffs are in pretty sad condition, i'd read somewhere of someone putting them in the dishwasher to help clean them up, i was thinking of giving this a whirl next time the wife goes out somewhere...lol....though if you think this is a bad idea, speak up now please.

Mal shoot me a list of the parts you want to replace, I can get you a discount on reproduction parts.
I'm assuming it's a Motomag and not a Team or Supergoose model. If your not sure post a pic of the serial number on the bottom bracket. Frame and forks only for a 79/80 Team goose in original condition is worth around $700 in good nic.
Also, I have the era correct bars and gold stem for that bike. If you want to replace with original parts Mongoose parts are expensive for what they are.

Please don't strip the paint or decals off it some of them clean up surprisingly well.
Way cool bike btw.👍👍
I'll check out the seriel number and get back to you, to be honest i don't know myself and haven't checked exactly what it is. As kids we used to strip parts off of bikes left right and centre and just build stuff up as we went, i just know my bike was better then my brothers which is what really eeerks me about getting rid of it. At the end of the day though, if we'd of realized what these old things would be worth nowadays, we'd all still own everything we grew up with now hey...lol. First thing i'll do is strip it all apart and leave it laying on a tarp in pieces, i'll grab some new tubes and tyres for it, also need some new hand grips aswell (will likely keep the chequered look just cause that's what we rode it looking like). Other then that, will try and clean up the other parts first, the handle bars are quite rusty i noticed yesterday after removing the pad from it, as is the top of atleast one brake lever, so if they don't polish up i'll replace them also. Will give you shout for sure when i know exactly what it is i'm going to replace  :cheers:

Listen to snappy. He speaks wise words. There are good theads on bicycle australias forums on restoring parts as well. Those skyways will the hardest to restore. I suspect you will need to cut and polish the faded top layer of plastic out. It will be time consuming.  Other than that the cable housing , grips and chain are prolly the only items that may need replacing. (Other than the tires as you mentioned). The frame will polish up pretty well with a light cutting polish. The decals still look pretty bright which is suprising given the amount of UV the wheels appear to have been subjected to.

The bars may come up well with a 48 hour bath in brown vinegar and then a coating of clear.
Collectible relics in Melbournes northrtn sudurbs is another place that does old school bmx stuff.

Oh and at least you sold your old steed. My old x gussett hotfoot adorned with araya 7x and dx platforms got stolen!

As for the model, didnt the motomags have those magnesium webbed wheels?

:cheers: for the heads up, will try the vinegar thing on the handle bars as you suggest, though they are in pretty sad condition currently. Sucks to read about your bike getting stolen, i had mates loose similar style when we were kids, though luckily it never happened to me or my brother.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
Cheers for the help guys, won't rush into doing anything with it as i have a heap of other jobs around the house i should be doing first. The bike sat in my oldies garden shed for probably 20 years before i found it there, sadly it was a pretty damp shed with water laying on the concrete most of the time, so will take some work getting rust off of stuff. The frame is remarkably clean, though there's been a crack in the bottom of it that was welded years ago, and this needs attention which will bugger up the paint work there. For some reason i'm thinking this paint isn't original and the thing was powdercoated after that weld job was done, i could be wrong here though, as it was near 30 years ago this all happened. The tuffs are in pretty sad condition, i'd read somewhere of someone putting them in the dishwasher to help clean them up, i was thinking of giving this a whirl next time the wife goes out somewhere...lol....though if you think this is a bad idea, speak up now please.
I'll check out the seriel number and get back to you, to be honest i don't know myself and haven't checked exactly what it is. As kids we used to strip parts off of bikes left right and centre and just build stuff up as we went, i just know my bike was better then my brothers which is what really eeerks me about getting rid of it. At the end of the day though, if we'd of realized what these old things would be worth nowadays, we'd all still own everything we grew up with now hey...lol. First thing i'll do is strip it all apart and leave it laying on a tarp in pieces, i'll grab some new tubes and tyres for it, also need some new hand grips aswell (will likely keep the chequered look just cause that's what we rode it looking like). Other then that, will try and clean up the other parts first, the handle bars are quite rusty i noticed yesterday after removing the pad from it, as is the top of atleast one brake lever, so if they don't polish up i'll replace them also. Will give you shout for sure when i know exactly what it is i'm going to replace  :cheers:
 :cheers: for the heads up, will try the vinegar thing on the handle bars as you suggest, though they are in pretty sad condition currently. Sucks to read about your bike getting stolen, i had mates loose similar style when we were kids, though luckily it never happened to me or my brother.

Fortunately iam over the loss now. Have to many bikes atm anyway. Still on the lookout for a cheap x gusset though. Unfortunately too many people know restored they are worth a bob these days. 

Heres a link to the brown vinegar method.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40715
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
The dishwasher won't clean Tuffs in that condition, trust me I know. The easiest way is to get them soda blasted, commercial sand blasting gets to hot. I did a set by hand that weren't as worn as yours and they needed atleast 40 hours each which takes about 12000 beers.

This is important, do not get rid of anything that has a "mongoose" stamp on it like the headset nut and bottom bracket nuts and bearing race.

I'd really like to see it in the flesh if you want to bring it over. I can give you some pointers and advice on the best way to restore it to maximise value and you can look at mine for some inspiration and motivation.
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »
I am loving reading this thread, it's bringing up memories from my teens. I used to race a Redline, Crisp and a Hutch bmx bikes. I was sponsored by P&G Cyclery and Mowers in Gosford back then.

Ahhh, the memories.😎
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
I've had this one sitting on the bike stand in the lounge room for over two years now due to a loss of motivation. Ive sourced all the parts for it, most are nos and it will be my most expensive build. I'll have to finish it one day.
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
Great haircut

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
I've had this one sitting on the bike stand in the lounge room

Hardcore :cup:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:12 PM »
Sculptural art?
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
Great haircut

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
Dust collector?
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

Hardcore :cup:

Yep, I've been to his house and the only thing you don't need to move a bike to get to, is his bar fridge.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2016, 07:34:43 PM »
The dishwasher won't clean Tuffs in that condition, trust me I know. The easiest way is to get them soda blasted, commercial sand blasting gets to hot. I did a set by hand that weren't as worn as yours and they needed atleast 40 hours each which takes about 12000 beers.

This is important, do not get rid of anything that has a "mongoose" stamp on it like the headset nut and bottom bracket nuts and bearing race.

I'd really like to see it in the flesh if you want to bring it over. I can give you some pointers and advice on the best way to restore it to maximise value and you can look at mine for some inspiration and motivation.
checked out the serial number this arvo, but it was a bit hard to read. I think it reads T-CCO in one line, then under it is a number that was pretty hard to make out...think it was 304793, but i'm not 100% on all those numbers. Had a quick check for other markings, but couildn't really find any on anything. As i said earlier, we used to swap alot of things around, so chances are it's just various bits and pieces off of all the bikes we owned over the years...which i assume means it's not worth alot. At the end of the day though, it'll look pretty cool once it's restored. If i'm heading down the coast anytime in the future i'll give you a shout and chuck it in to bring with me....though looking at what you have will likely just peeve me off more as to what i got rid of years ago...lol

I've had this one sitting on the bike stand in the lounge room for over two years now due to a loss of motivation.
the misses actually asked me last night what i'm going to do with it once i restore it, i mentioned hanging it on a wall also...lol

Heres a link to the brown vinegar method.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40715

:cheers:

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:20 PM »
That redline looks a bit like the one i had.
I swaped it with my cousin for my shogun 10 speed

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
I just did a job last week for a bloke by the name of Dane Anderson.
He races BMX semi pro... just got back from the states the other day;aparantky he came 1bd overall or something

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
checked out the serial number this arvo, but it was a bit hard to read. I think it reads T-CCO in one line, then under it is a number that was pretty hard to make out...think it was 304793, but i'm not 100% on all those numbers. Had a quick check for other markings, but couildn't really find any on anything. As i said earlier, we used to swap alot of things around, so chances are it's just various bits and pieces off of all the bikes we owned over the years...which i assume means it's not worth alot. At the end of the day though, it'll look pretty cool once it's restored. If i'm heading down the coast anytime in the future i'll give you a shout and chuck it in to bring with me....though looking at what you have will likely just peeve me off more as to what i got rid of years ago...lol
the misses actually asked me last night what i'm going to do with it once i restore it, i mentioned hanging it on a wall also...lol
 :cheers:

That's a full Cro-mo Team or Supergoose you've got there, built March 1980 in Chatsworth USA.
Do not molest it. If you are going to keep it you will regret doing it in 2 years time. That's how long it takes to get past the shiny bling and appreciate the patina of 36 years of history. Original finish cleaned up is the way to go. Like I said earlier l would love to see it in its natural state and I can show you some tricks and techniques to clean her up. :cheers:
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
Great haircut

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2016, 07:31:16 AM »
That's a full Cro-mo Team or Supergoose you've got there, built March 1980 in Chatsworth USA.
Do not molest it. If you are going to keep it you will regret doing it in 2 years time. That's how long it takes to get past the shiny bling and appreciate the patina of 36 years of history. Original finish cleaned up is the way to go. Like I said earlier l would love to see it in its natural state and I can show you some tricks and techniques to clean her up. :cheers:
i'm in no rush to restore it as I have a long list of jobs I should be doing around home currently, so I will leave it untouched for now and take you up on that offer of checking it out in the future before I do anything. :cheers:

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
My new ride. 2016 Giant Talon 2

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »

My cousin had that exact same bike. I had a black Cincoa We were the BMX bandits (in our heads and games)

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
I was trying to make my wife understand how we used to strip bikes apart as kids and swap bits around on them and what not....she just didn't get it. I look back at all the bikes we used to own over the years and what we did to them  8) 8) I even had a shockie bike at one stage, geez that thing was heavy...and the mountain bike guys of today think they are cool  ;D ;D
I'm trying to remember what the rims were called that had the same rim outer as the tuffs, but had spokes in them?
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
Maybe you should have included the part where, you spread the blanket on the lounge room floor and did it, also.  :angel:

Well that's where I cleaned my racing bikes.  ;D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
I'm trying to remember what the rims were called that had the same rim outer as the tuffs, but had spokes in them?

ACS Z-Rims. Scary flexy.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
ACS Z-Rims. Scary flexy.
ahhh yes, Z-Rims...geez we buckled them heaps

Offline koshari

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:43 PM »
The heaviest bike ever i re kon was the crossrider dual suspension bike. All the kids that rode them had to have legs like tree trunks.
Code: [Select]
5M strips SMD3528x150 SMD3528x300 SMD5050*150 SMD5050x300 
LED Qty 150 pcs 300 pcs 150 pcs 300 pcs
Voltage DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V DC 12V
Current(A) 1Amp 2Amp 3Amp 6Amp
Pwr 12 watt 24 watt 36 watt 72 watt

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »
My new ride. 2016 Giant Talon 2

I have a 2015 Talon I bought at the end of '14, great bike
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2016, 10:32:57 PM »
I was trying to make my wife understand how we used to strip bikes apart as kids and swap bits around on them and what not....she just didn't get it. I look back at all the bikes we used to own over the years and what we did to them  8) 8) I even had a shockie bike at one stage, geez that thing was heavy...and the mountain bike guys of today think they are cool  ;D ;D

I rode this one from Broadbeach to Fisherman Wharf about 2 years ago. Bloody hard work with worn shockies and a 40+ rider.

We had to stop at the Broady Tav, Surfers Sandbar, outside the Main Beach slc for a bunger then finally made it to Fishos for a session. Started at 1pm, missus picked me up from Fishos after dinner. Good woman she is.👍👍
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
Great haircut

Offline MattRC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
I have a 2015 Talon I bought at the end of '14, great bike
Yeah pretty happy with it so far

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »
Just remembered the name I knew of those Z-Rims...Marlin Z-Rims.
As to the shockie bike Snapman...mine was black like that one, but I don't recall to much else about it other then pretty sure it didn't have a yellow mudguard on it. I know I didn't keep it that long, it was just to heavy of a bike to pedal all over town