Author Topic: Masters Sale  (Read 49844 times)

scrapsD40

Masters Sale
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
Wow, and about time....wonder how many would be in Bella Vista?

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Masters Sale
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »
I went into Masters at Bundamba at lunchtime today. Surprisingly, especially for a Friday afternoon, it  was the busiest I have seen it ever!

I suppose they were in there picking over the corpse and hoping for a bargain. I suspect now that date of execution has been announced, Masters will have its best sales figure ever and probably a lot of first time shoppers too!

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 07:22:36 PM »
I have to ask, what is wrong with Masters?
Only went in there about 4 times and each time I thought it was wrong, there was something completely wrong about it that I can't put my finger on.
Any clues what it is?
The sausage sizzle wasn't on your way in, you had to go looking for it
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
Hey Bird mate....  please take a closer look at my post ...

I was saying 100% opposite to what you understood there....

I was saying that the grungy Bunnings look worked much better on my wallet - whereas Masters felt as bland as grey musac.....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.
The following users thanked this post: V8CRSA

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »
Went to Masters a few times and they simply never had what we wanted. 

Soaker hoses?  We don't stock them.  (US influence, not adjusted to what Aussies are used to)
Electrical cable crimper?  Don't stock them.  Suspect another US influence.
Ocky straps? Don't stock them....

And so it goes.  They just brought over the Yankee range, without paying attention  to what we wanted. Deserve to go broke doing that.  Even wandering around there was never anything inspiring.

Just feel sorry for the poor folk who are losing their jobs. Ah well when reborn as bulky goods warehouses they may provide a few more jobs...

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 12:30:24 AM »

Soaker hoses?  We don't stock them.  (US influence, not adjusted to what Aussies are used to)

And so it goes.  They just brought over the Yankee range, without paying attention  to what we wanted. Deserve to go broke doing that.  Even wandering around there was never anything inspiring.

Just feel sorry for the poor folk who are losing their jobs. Ah well when reborn as bulky goods warehouses they may provide a few more jobs...
The Masters near me stocks a few different electrical crimpers. Actually more than Bunnings.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 03:09:55 AM »
Found out yesterday that Metcash/Mitre10 Group are looking to buy Home Hardware/J Danks Wholesale from Woolworths and merge into a new combined independent hardware group under Metcash wholesale

The deal went through earlier in the week, Metcash have bought all but three Home Hardware stores and didn't buy the warehouse. Will be very interesting to see how this effects things. Our local supplier Belmont Timber was bought out 2 years ago by Home and will most likely change names and stock again. It's hurt many tradies as we can no longer buy the bulk or quality we've been accustomed to with independent suppliers who listen to their local market.

KingBilly

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 05:48:46 AM »
The deal went through earlier in the week, Metcash have bought all but three Home Hardware stores and didn't buy the warehouse. Will be very interesting to see how this effects things. Our local supplier Belmont Timber was bought out 2 years ago by Home and will most likely change names and stock again. It's hurt many tradies as we can no longer buy the bulk or quality we've been accustomed to with independent suppliers who listen to their local market.

Well there you go, I thought Metcash was only a distribution company and most of their hardware stores were just franchises or whatever.

KB

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 06:40:22 AM »

And I found the opposite.
No big imperial sized sockets stocked at Bunnings. Full range at Masters.

No high temp Dektite stocked at Bunnings. All sizes on the shelf at Masters.

Masters just left their run too late. They took way too long to open stores and Bunnings already had control of the market.

scrapsD40

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:31 AM »
watch this space with these guys. Tipped to explode with the independent owners that didn't take the big cheque from Metcash or Woolies.  http://www.hbt.net.au

Well there you go, I thought Metcash was only a distribution company and most of their hardware stores were just franchises or whatever.

KB
several still are independent, but 2009 onwards when Metcash bought Mitre10/True Value Brand, Management and Wholesale divisions, and Woolies bought Home Hardware/Thrifty Link Brand, Management and Wholesale divisions, both groups had big cheque books to buy part or all of the independent hardware store business. They did this in competition with each other to either acquire/lock in the wholesale business or stop the competitor being able to but one of their key businesses.

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »
They should have had some big sales on tradie type gear at the start to win the blokes over (sexist? Yes..... It's a hardware and your target audience should be blokes).

They needed to get people in and get them to think the place was great with some bargains.

I walked in when they opened, everything was similar priced to Bunnings. It didn't feel like a hardware. So just went back to Bunnnings.

Occasionally I would go back when Bunnings didn't have what I wanted. Rarely did Masters ever have anything better. And the place started to get a weird feeling as there was always more staff than customers. Felt like everyone was looking at you!

Sad to see any business go down. And Bunnings need competition, Masters just got it wrong.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 07:45:37 AM »
Is it just me, I hate both!  I still get better service and a better range at other hardwares and I like to support our local family owned store.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.
The following users thanked this post: gnomeo

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 07:48:54 AM »
The Masters near me stocks a few different electrical crimpers. Actually more than Bunnings.

z2, very large range of Cabac stuff
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
Is it just me, I hate both!  I still get better service and a better range at other hardwares and I like to support our local family owned store.  Kevin
We are very lucky that we have an industrial area fairly close. They have a steel yard(Gawler Steel), irrigation shop, Reece, electrical wholesaler, landscape supplies, timber supplies (RM Timber) and all on a first name basis. Better service, quality goods and cheaper than Bunnings.
Thank god for Paxton Street in Willaston.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
Quote from: krisandkev
agree totally except the local went broke...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:02:03 AM by tryagain »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 03:43:23 PM »
10-30% Storewide to start with so nothing all  that spectacular, my guess would be a majority at the 10% off discount.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »
I can imagine the stress Wollies failure will give to operators such as Trade Tools Direct (Qld)...   

Through no fault of their own - now they are going to have to deal with $500M of assorted wares being liquidated / sacrificed...  some of which will inevitably be product from their key categories...
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
I can imagine the stress Wollies failure will give to operators such as Trade Tools Direct (Qld)...   

Through no fault of their own - now they are going to have to deal with $500M of assorted wares being liquidated / sacrificed...  some of which will inevitably be product from their key categories...

A bit of pain for a few months but then less competition.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
my guess would be a majority at the 10% off discount.

everyone will rush in like suckers for the "show" specials.. LMAO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
For those out of town if anybody can post prices it could save a trip down to only get 10% off  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

scrapsD40

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 08:36:59 AM »
For those out of town if anybody can post prices it could save a trip down to only get 10% off  :cheers:
I heard they're having a carpark sale. Do you need one?

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
I heard they're having a carpark sale. Do you need one?

I'll go shares with someone.
I just need a strip for a driveway.
White lines on it doesn't matter
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2016, 12:57:37 PM »
I shop at both. Have found stuff at Masters that Bunnings didn't have. I don't always like the brands that Bunnings have compared with Masters. Price wise they are close thought Masters are open to haggle more.

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »
I must admit that I prefer the service and convenience of our local Mitre 10, its easier to find what you want in a smaller space with less options!

On the upside our local Masters in doing deals on Sky Hooks and Striped Paint if you are after some  >:D