Author Topic: Right price for an AORC Odyssey Export?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
Right price for an AORC Odyssey Export?
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:43:47 PM »
I am trying to sell my 2007 AORC Odyssey Export Signature hard floor camper (Gumtree, myswag) and have had absolutely no responses whatsoever.  The price seems to be a median for similar campers, but of course I have no idea what price those advertised actually sold for.  Am I being unrealistic asking $35,000 for a camper which would cost you around $53,000 if you bought it new?  I'm open to offers but I don't want to sell it cheaply just to get it off my driveway!
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Right price for an AORC Odyssey Export?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:56:46 PM »
In real estate if a house is not selling and not getting any enquiry you have to look at the 3 'P's -  Promotion, Presentation, and Price.

Promotion: Is it worth putting it on caravanandcampingsales.com.au, as well as campertrailers.org to get the maximum exposure possible?
Presentation: I haven't had a look at your ad, but how are your photos.  Does the camper look appealing to buyers that are looking ie: all nice and shiny, no mud pictures, all set up as best as it can be?
Price: This is usually the one that is least comfortable to talk about, but if you're not getting any enquiry at all, and the above two P's are taken care of then you have to get realistic.  You said that you just don't want to price it whereby you feel you are just giving it away and having it gone from your driveway.  It is not that (you're feelings) which determines the price, but only what a buyer is willing to pay for it.
Also you can't look at it by comparing the replacement cost now.  It's like buying shares which crash and saying to your stockbroker - well I bought them for XXX but now they are only worth .x but I want XX.

Probably haven't helped much, but from the sounds of it, you need to have the discussion with yourself that you don't want to have.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:58:49 PM by JCOJ »

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
Pretty sure I have told this story before but the guy who started the Trading Post used to have a blurb printed inside which said, in short, if you don't get any inquiries to your first advert in two weeks, you need to drop the price 10%, if you are getting inquiries but not a sale, your price is close, the price just needs a little tweak to get that sale.

As JCOJ, it is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay.

Good luck and I hope you get your price quickly

KB
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:20:01 PM by KingBilly »

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
I saw your add on Myswag, and like many here though it looked good, but not a flash ad (sorry - not trying to be mean).

Have you read through this thread that McGirr wrote up?
Topic: Tips on selling campers

As JCOJ mentioned it's the 3P's - Promotion, Presentation, Price.

Marks thread lists the important points - Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.

But not just trawling through the holidays snaps to get a few.

Take it out to a nice location, and take loads of pictures at every stage, from various angles so you can choose.

Same as selling a house - take your stuff out of it, and make it into a story that the viewer can picture themselves doing, and experiencing.

Regardless of the forum you put it on - the quality of the pictures and narrative / story to hook a buyer remains the same.

Me - I'd rather buy a camper trailer, but the missus wants a house, maybe I can park a camper trailer outside the house.....

Good luck with the sale.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:12:27 PM »
depends if and how urgent you wanna sell it

if you wanna sell it fast, drop it. if you don't mind it sitting in the driveway, then just leave it where it is.

what is a new one same spec worth? if you were buying would you spend the extra for a new one over saving a few sheckles on an old one?

One issue I see regularly which makes me laugh is people selling 2002 models for stuff all cheaper than a new one, then saying "new one is $30k - sell for $25k"

and if you have Shit photos, you will get a Shit result.. maybe even get some taken for you to assist.

YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »
Just to give you a comparison, we paid $32,500 for our 2006 Odyssey Export in 2013. It was in very good condition and with the same extras as yours but your model is the upgraded one with the different kitchen and extra storage space at the side.  Good luck.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:50 PM »
How long have you had it for sale ?

I had a KK for sale for 5 weeks...not one enquiry.....sold on the 1st enquiry ( Trading Post )

Seems like a fair price...sometimes they go in days or sometimes it takes ages....just got to wait for that one buyer who is interested..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
When we sold our CC, it took 3 weeks of nothing and we could so sold it 4 times in the week we sold it.
The buyer bought it sight unseen.
Maybe just a bit of patience might see you right here ?

Matt
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:39:55 PM by V8CRSA »
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments swaggers - yes, some pics were taken (using my iPad) for the sale but others are holiday snaps which may not be the best for the job.  I can't open it out where it is at present but I have to move it at the weekend so will try and have some better ones taken then.

I may try caravanandcampingsales.com soon, but thought I'd try the free sites first!
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:46:42 PM »
Apart from some good advice already given, there are several ways people go about selling their stuff, none of which is right or wrong.

I have mates when selling who always seem to chase the very best sale price they can get.  They advertise the item at a high market price, but seem content having it advertised for 6 months, quite happy to have 30 groups of people during this time look at the item or calling about it throughout the night and day.  More often than not they eventually sell close to the advertised price, but it's taken time and effort on their behalf.

Personally I always think a quick sale is a good sale.  I'll compare similar items that are already for sale and advertise mine appropriately and competitively.  I'm happy to advertise at my "almost" very best price, leaving a little bit of room for someone to negotiate me down (that usually makes the buyer feel a little better!).  I've sold cars, boats, bikes and trailers this way and more often than not they sell quickly (within a week of advertising) and usually to the first interested person. If the item for sale receives little interest within a week of being advertised then I'll reassess my price and drop it a little.  I don't have a lot of spare time, and when I do I don't want to be sitting by the phone answering calls, or wasting half a day on a "no show" who had promised to be at your place within the hour.

I guess you just need to work out what is important to you and how keen you are to sell.