Author Topic: using generators at campsite  (Read 43253 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Re: using generators at campsite
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Just sad that there seem to be fewer and fewer places where it is possible to 'get away from it all'.

Symptomatic of nowhere being 'off the beaten track' i.e. anyone can now get anywhere, so more and more do.

With:
  • much improved roads than 20 years ago;
  • more powerful and 'driver friendly' vehicles;
  • the comfort levels of 4x4 'trucks' being such that they are purchased as daily drivers / mums taxi; and
  • chinese prices making equipment (like genies) so cheap to purchase
every dog and its (wo)man can get virtually everywhere with the kitchen sink and a genie to power the kitchen TV!  :'(

The unfortunate result is that peace and quiet is now so much harder to find.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

scarps

using generators at campsite
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
This thread has inspired me to drag this old girl out from the shed and take camping.

I need it to run my ghetto blaster so I can listen to my favorite Dennis Leary song. >:D >:D >:D

I was amused many years ago by a fellow camper on the Murray River who took great pride in telling us how he threatened to toss a retired couples genset in the river cause than ran it a bit late one evening.
He was telling us this story while sitting of the bow of his skiboat.  A 19ft Hallet, with a rear mount 400 chev and straight through over transom pipes!  The very same boat could be seen every morning around 7:30am doing mach 1 downstream.
Given the size of this tattoo clad nethanderal I felt it was best not to point that out to him.
He was just charging his batteries:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »
To be honest, I don't worry too much about what others do. If I want peace and quiet, then I go bush where nobody else will be. If you are in a designated camp ground where there will be others then you have to expect noise, it's a nature of the beast. To me, it sound like many are intolerate and if we took the time to communicate we would be in a far better place. Generators, chainsaws, loud exhausts, music, loud talking and what ever else is just life and understand there are others in the world entitled to their choice and it's not all about you. Communication and consideration with a little respect and tolerance goes a long way........:-)
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
To be honest, I don't worry too much about what others do. If I want peace and quiet, then I go bush where nobody else will be. If you are in a designated camp ground where there will be others then you have to expect noise, it's a nature of the beast. To me, it sound like many are intolerate and if we took the time to communicate we would be in a far better place. Generators, chainsaws, loud exhausts, music, loud talking and what ever else is just life and understand there are others in the world entitled to their choice and it's not all about you. Communication and consideration with a little respect and tolerance goes a long way........:-)

Well said.   :cup:     I have seen what happens when campers take matters into their own hands. Someone ends up in hospital and someone ends up in court.     Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline BernieShelly

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
I like camping and i (we) enjoy our self i hate sower and whingy things fist in best dressed dont like it bad luck move on or go in the bush further ! just saying

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »
Camp next to me with a noisy 6 and 8 year old and you would wish you had parked next to a grey nomad with a generator....

:-)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:16:22 PM by GS »

Offline Kalebjarrod

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
I went camping with a mate who borrowed a 6kva diesel generator from work to run his engal cause it no longer ran on 12 volt only working on 240volt

He ran it from 5-6 ish till 10-11 ish at night

Sounded like a midget in a 44 gallon drum trying to break his way out with a lump hammer

Bad weekend...........  NEVER AGAIN
HILUX D4D + LIFESTYLE WALKTHROUGH

Offline Graza71

• Swag User
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Camp next to me with a noisy 6 and 8 year old and you would wish you had parked next to a grey nomad with a generator....

:-)

Hahaha gold!!

I reckon I'm in the same boat. My 5 and 8 year olds are quiet at night but they're up at the crack of dawn EVERY day. Sometimes I wish I could camp away from THEM!!  ;D
2006 R51 Pathfinder
2011 Outback Campers Classic

Offline sonny

• Tent User
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »

I too agree.  I'm not a grey nomad - yet - but wish I was.  I don't have a genny - and don't want one.  However, I'm sure I've done things in the past which have annoyed other campers.  Whether it be snoring - which I deny but husband insists that I do;  the annoying cough when I end up with the flu sometimes when camping;  or years ago when we had a baby that SCREAMED all night (yes very loudly) when he got an ear infection - bet that really annoyed the other campers around us.   Not something that I would wish on anybody (least of all the poor baby).  Oh and I almost forgot - Zippers !!  Sure they annoy the neighbours during the night too.  Nobody's perfect - and I'm sorry for all the other campers I have inconvenienced over the years, but they have inconvenienced me at times too.  Has it ruined our camping trip - no - Live and let live.  Yes it is really annoying when people blatantly flout the rules - but the agro and retaliation is just not worth it.  We just move on.
80's Series Landcruiser
Vacation Passage Camper

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »

:cup: A sensible and balanced and mature response.  :cup:
              Something for all to think about. 
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
:cup: A sensible and balanced and mature response.  :cup:
              Something for all to think about. 
Spoil sport, there's no fun in that  :laugh: :laugh:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline gregw56

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
I have a gennie and use it when i need to.Although Iam making the move to solar. I always try to camp well away from anyone else.So I don't have to listen to feral kids or family fights , loud music or mamma going of about camping is not for me. When I get a nice spot why do they want to camp next to me. The gennie is one of the first things set up,whether i use it or not if they look like getting to close
I fire it up. Last trip to the murray i had a nice spot not another camp in sight and the feral family want camp right next to me. I control my dog yet they can't control their kids. time for a bigger genset iam thinking

scarps

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
In these days of environmentally friendly thinking, I have a solar set up, but guarantee that the sun doesn't shine when you need it to.  Instead of looking an a gennie, I thought maybe a wind turbine or hydroelectric turbine might be the go.  One thing I can be sure of, if the sun isn't shining, it will be blowing a gale or p#ssng down with rain.  Go Green:-)

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
There is a very efficient, high-output and (unless you have a noisy exhaust) relatively quiet generator under the bonnet of each and every tow vehicle. It's getting a little off-topic but why so many newbies "think" they "need" the extra weight, expense and fuelling requirements of a portable generator is, for me, one of the great mysteries of the universe!

Like indy trailer suspension and enormous swags, gennies are another triumph of marketing over common sense ;)

(GT ducks for cover...)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:34:43 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

Like indy trailer suspension and enormous swags, gennies are another triumph of marketing over common sense ;)

Opinions are great, we all have one!

Indy suspension because it is better, enormous swags because some people like the extra room, genies because some people want 240v. Yep none of them are necessary but like opinions, everyone is entitled to do their own thing  ;D
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

KingBilly

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
Opinions are great, we all have one!

Indy suspension because it is better, enormous swags because some people like the extra room, genies because some people want 240v. Yep none of them are necessary but like opinions, everyone is entitled to do their own thing  ;D

Yes everyone is entitled to do their own thing (within the law and normal society expectations) but people still need to be considerate of others.  If more people considered the impact of their actions on others, the world would be a far better place and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.  That is my opinion  :angel:

KB

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
Yes everyone is entitled to do their own thing (within the law and normal society expectations) but people still need to be considerate of others.  If more people considered the impact of their actions on others, the world would be a far better place and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.  That is my opinion  :angel:

KB

Couldnt agree more :)

Just on the topic of gennies, I used to have one of those $99 GMC 2 stoke versions (recently sold it at a garage sale for $50! go figure) that had done a lot of work. Towards the end it ran like a pig, it would miss, pop, fart, backfire and was nice and loud. I only used it when up the bush with no else around but I cant help but wonder what the new owner is going to use it for..........he did mention camping :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »
.......but I cant help but wonder what the new owner is going to use it for..........he did mention camping :)

Probably still in Tassie, so that's OK...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
There is a very efficient, high-output and (unless you have a noisy exhaust) relatively quiet generator under the bonnet of each and every tow vehicle. It's getting a little off-topic but why so many newbies "think" they "need" the extra weight, expense and fuelling requirements of a portable generator is, for me, one of the great mysteries of the universe!

OK, I'll bite   >:D    Noooooooooooooooooooo.  We have had that happen to us when camped in a nice quite spot the bloke besides us starts his car early in the morning to charge his batteries.....    Also not good for the engine.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
(GT ducks for cover...)

I'm no newby and my diesel makes more noise at idle than my little lightweight, fuel efficient, about as noisy as a mouse fart!ng, honda genny. :-*
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
OK, I'll bite   >:D    Noooooooooooooooooooo.  We have had that happen to us when camped in a nice quite spot the bloke besides us starts his car early in the morning to charge his batteries.....    Also not good for the engine.  Kevin

Yes of course some engines - like some gennies - are noisier than others! (and around we go!)
But for some campers using the vehicle to charge is a better 'solution' than a genny - yet it is something they've never thought of or realised

Sure there may have been problems in the past, but there's no worries with idling any modern engine for a few hours 

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

scarps

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
bump

Time to connect the solar panel. Think this thread might be running out of power?

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
bump

Time to connect the solar panel. Think this thread might be running out of power?

Nah mate, everyone's just refuelling the gennies up.....

Ripstarts at 50 paces in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6........
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

I used to have one of those $99 GMC 2 stoke versions that had done a lot of work. Towards the end it ran like a pig, it would miss, pop, fart, backfire and was nice and loud.

Check the fuel tank for sugar........................
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
Yes of course some engines - like some gennies - are noisier than others! (and around we go!)
But for some campers using the vehicle to charge is a better 'solution' than a genny - yet it is something they've never thought of or realised

Sure there may have been problems in the past, but there's no worries with idling any modern engine for a few hours 

Idling a diesel for long periods is not good for them, easy way to quickly Glaze them up.......Hence, I try to avoid idling for long periods......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..