Author Topic: running stuff on 12 volt  (Read 1296 times)

Offline frankie77

• Learning the Ropes
running stuff on 12 volt
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
Just picked up a 12 outback expanda and heading over east next week and need some solid advice .As will be bush for as much as i can
I have a 100amp battery in the van to run lights and small stuff. charged by an Anderson plug on the car .In the car i will have a 70lt evercool mate fridge,running off the car battery while driving ,I have 120 watt solar panels for when camping and also just bought a 1.5 kva Genny.plus a 100 amp battery not connected to the car .
The reason is i have a Terracan and cannot fit spare under the bonnet.The car also is our runaround and we have grand kids by the truckload in the back so do not want one fitted there.
Any ideas as the best way to set it up and  this up ?I know i can use the solar during the day ,and the battery at night till about 9 pm (if allowed) but what about the rest of the night running the evercool,will it not drain the battery ? .
Lots of questions and a short time to fit it  before i go but i would appreciate your help

KingBilly

Re: running stuff on 12 volt
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
Frankie, I'm only new to all this myself but from what I have read on these forums, a 100Ah battery, in good condition, and fully charged, should give you at least a day maybe 2 running the 70l Evakool fridge.  Of course, that depends what you put in it and how often you open it etc.  With solar and a genny as backup, I don't think you will have too many problems with the fridge.  I would hook the fridge to the van battery of a night then no problems with starting the car the next day.

Can you wire the 2nd battery in the van as you don't have space in the Terracan?

LED lights will use less juice but again I don't think you need to worry.

Have a great trip.
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: running stuff on 12 volt
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
A good 120 watt kit should keep up with your fridge as long as you get about 6 hours of sun.
As said before try and hook up both batteries permanently..That will allow a day or two of power if the Sun dont shine...
Cheers
Mandrake

Sent from my e1107_v73_ddb1 using Tapatalk 2
Going back to basics - sort of ...