Author Topic: AT35 off road hitch  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Badger

• Learning the Ropes
  • " The more you know....the less you believe.
AT35 off road hitch
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »
Just wandering if anyone has any dramas when releasing the hitch. After removing the main pin, the nylon section seems to always catch on the way out when pushing the trailer back. When it catches it jams and then its damn near impossible to remove as its loaded up with weight from the trailer. The only thing left to do is remove the main pin and drive the vehicle forward to separate the tongue completely and then separate the 2 parts of the hitch.
Every time this happens, it chews up the nylon surrounding the locator and then needs to filed down smooth again.
This doesn't happen every time, only when trying to remove the trailer on uneven ground so sand.

The Mighty 60 and the Modcon Overlander. Invinsible, unstopable, unbreakable.

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: AT35 off road hitch
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
That doesnt happen to ours, but it does get really squeaky if I don't give the pin and nylock bush a grease every now and then. Perhaps that would help your situation. Also make sure the drawbar is at the right height so the hitch is square and it should slide out no worries.

Daz

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Never had that problem but its a real bitch to get the pin out on uneven ground or in soft sand when theres even a little bit of pressure on it. I've been thinking of changing over to a DO35

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline Badger

• Learning the Ropes
  • " The more you know....the less you believe.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »
Thanks guys for your suggestions. A lot of trial and error I suppose. Most of our camping is on a beach somewhere so are always dealing with getting in and out of tricky spots, sand dunes,beach cuttings etc so finding even ground is at a premium. I normally carry a small piece of pine sleeper and pop that under the jockey to prevent it sinking.
Love the hitch itself though.We took the Mod Con to Mackay over the Qld school holidays for one of my sons rep footy trips and didn't even know it was there. Very quiet and smooth. Stuck behind the car like glue.
The Mighty 60 and the Modcon Overlander. Invinsible, unstopable, unbreakable.

Offline Puffin

• Tent User
  • AORC Odyssey Export
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
The AT35 is a great hitch but the DO35 is a lot better in that there is minimal fuss to hitch up and there is no pin to misplace.   We recently changed our AORC to the new DO35 Mk2 and are very happy.

Puffin  :cheers:
aut viam inveniam aut faciam