Author Topic: Tent heater  (Read 11340 times)

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tent heater
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Just wondering how noisy are they?
Cheers
L2GA

Hi,
    they are not whisper quiet.
The turbine whine from the fan can be intrusive when running at fastest speed. This is audible in both the Cabin air circuit and the combustion air circuit.

I wouldn't park within (say) 15m of some one in a tent if I was going to use it late at night because of the whine, mostly from the air intake when heard from out side.

Inside the noise is not so bad - it is keeping you warm, so it is sort of cosy.

Outside, because it is keeping someone else warm and cosy, it could be really annoying.

The impulse pump also has a solid kick to it every half second or so, but again quietens down as the demand for heat diminishes.
I have the pump mounted on part of a cork tile, and then in its supplied rubber sleeve, so it is tolerable.

Having the control with in arm's reach from the bunk is a nice touch. Turn it off when finished reading before sleep, and turn it on again before getting out from under the covers.
We have run it all night when we first installed it, and it was about -5 out side, holding a comfy 15 inside on half heat.

We now tend to turn it off when sleeping, though  SWMBO has turned it on for about 20 minutes in the middle of the night if she is feeling a bit cold.

cheers

Offline lov2getaway

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Windjana Gorge 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

Hi,
    they are not whisper quiet.
The turbine whine from the fan can be intrusive when running at fastest speed. This is audible in both the Cabin air circuit and the combustion air circuit.

I wouldn't park within (say) 15m of some one in a tent if I was going to use it late at night because of the whine, mostly from the air intake when heard from out side.

Inside the noise is not so bad - it is keeping you warm, so it is sort of cosy.

Outside, because it is keeping someone else warm and cosy, it could be really annoying.

The impulse pump also has a solid kick to it every half second or so, but again quietens down as the demand for heat diminishes.
I have the pump mounted on part of a cork tile, and then in its supplied rubber sleeve, so it is tolerable.

Having the control with in arm's reach from the bunk is a nice touch. Turn it off when finished reading before sleep, and turn it on again before getting out from under the covers.
We have run it all night when we first installed it, and it was about -5 out side, holding a comfy 15 inside on half heat.

We now tend to turn it off when sleeping, though  SWMBO has turned it on for about 20 minutes in the middle of the night if she is feeling a bit cold.

cheers

Thanks for the info!
2011 Camprite, 2011 Prado.

Offline KING LING

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Big Boar On The Door
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
yer a small fortune on ebay there a bit cheaper but still over a grand
KING LING

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
yer a small fortune on ebay there a bit cheaper but still over a grand

Hi,
   Yes, I balked at the price initially, but as a % of the total cost of a new ute and slide-on it was justifiable in giving me year round access to camping and a bit more comfort in the highlands.

If this one died for what ever reason I would certainly replace it.

cheers

Offline peteandkyles

• Swag User
  • Prado 2008 GXL & 2010 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »
They do hum and you would not be buying it if you were camping in a caravan park. We camp out on the open a lot so its ideal for that. They are also quite expensive, but the choice is -3C tent with a 4yo squirming between us all night or a warm tent with a 4yo in her own bed for at least some of the night.

Oh my god this is meant to be the desert!! Where did this water come from?

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 06:41:21 PM »
A tarp, some baby oil and your other half

Hours of fun  :angel:

Someone did tell me of a similar trick using motor oil and some jumper leads.....................and that is where we will leave this post.
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline KING LING

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Big Boar On The Door
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
OK you may recall what would be a good safe heater to use in the rooftop tent , I found this little beauity it rotates from left to right and up and down is 12 volt , plugs into your cigarette lighter and has an adjustable 3 hour timer all for $25. bucks
KING LING

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
OK you may recall what would be a good safe heater to use in the rooftop tent , I found this little beauity it rotates from left to right and up and down is 12 volt , plugs into your cigarette lighter and has an adjustable 3 hour timer all for $25. bucks

But what is the current draw ??, It will be heavy on the battery.

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Tent heater
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »
Do you have a link for this ??

Offline KING LING

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Big Boar On The Door
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
its        Autoplatonium
KING LING

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline KING LING

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Big Boar On The Door
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
yes 150 watt thats the most you can get out of a cigarette lighter socket
KING LING