Author Topic: International SIM card/ Mobile phone  (Read 1627 times)

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
International SIM card/ Mobile phone
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »
My folks are off to Europe in a few months time and they want to take their mobile phone with them.
Now when ever I travel i just pick up a local sim card like most people but my father isnt at all techy savy and for him to install a sim card, register it and top it up in any european country is going to be a big ask.
Ive seen a few adds for international mobile phones and /or sim cards and my question is has anyone gone down this route and what  problems do they pose or are they as simple as they claim
What I am hoping to sort out for them is a new  simple phone ( they are in their seventies) which will work in Europe and can be recharged from back here in Oz. That way I can keep a eye on the balance and top it up as needed.
Or is it easy to recharge over there. 
Is there a particular carrier that you can recommend.

Thanks
Wayne

Offline Geoffwin

• Tent User
  • Vegetable oil smells good..........
Re: International SIM card/ Mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
I used worldsim for a few trips and I also used to sell a few of them.

I have a few left and you are welcome to have one.

It can be activated and tested on line and while in Australia, generally calls are free to receive in most European countries and it comes with a UK number eg you can call the UK number from Australia at your rates and they will receive the call, say in Italy.

Have a look at worldsim.com

I have not checked for a while but I assume the calling rates have dropped a bit. I found them good for receiving calls but a bit expensive to make calls (a few years ago) but they were good for making bookings and as security. Most international roaming cards are the same tho.

They are really good as they cover all of Europe without having to change your number of chase up local prepaid cards.

They also have 5 pound credit when activated.

You get an online account for topups and so on. If you get one, activate from Australia before leaving, test by ringing UK number and it will divert to Australia. Your phone will need to be unlocked and preferably on the 900/2100 gsm 3g frequencies.

Data is a killer on all this types of accounts and I would definitely make sure that data is disabled on your phone before leaving, especially iphones.

If you want one after checking out the site whim me you mobile number and I will give you a call to answer any questions that I can.

Geoff
1996 GXL Diesel - running on liquid chips
2011 Jayco Eagle (Lake Eyre, parts of Oodnadatta and Strezlecki - Done)
2012 Cape York (July - August) Easy Tracks -Done

Coopers Creek August 2011

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Thanks for that info Geoff.
I'll check out the site and let him know.
I think he will have to just get a basic unlocked phone so I'll check that out with the details you gave.
Ive checked out some others on the net but they were not clear about topping up from back here.

Again Thanks
Wayne

Offline jnik

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
TruSIM is another option ... you can have up to three numbers on the one SIM (Aus, UK, US).

http://www.truphone.com/en-GB/

Offline Bennlexx

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
We used TravelSim in Europe last year.  Found it excellent and it's available from your local Post Office.  Details at travelsim.net.au

You need an unlocked phone (a few don't work) and just for phone and sms. Can be topped up over the net.  All explained at above site.

2003 Aussie Swag Rover Ultra & 2012 Prado GXL D4D