Author Topic: Jayco Hawk V Eagle why the choice difference?  (Read 29580 times)

Offline scott oz

• Soft Floor Camper User
Jayco Hawk V Eagle why the choice difference?
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
The wife and I have been searching for the “right” Jayco outback Eagle (or Swan) about 2005 model. This model and vintage is within the price range and comes with the annex/awnings we see as a must.

My question is that there seem to be a lot more “Hawks” than Eagles generally for sale. The main reason we won’t the Eagle is the fridge in the Eagle & Swan  is directly opposite the door which we see as making it far easier to get to the fridge if you just wont to reach in and get something.

Are we missing something in the layout of the Hawk that members believe makes the Hawk layout a better choice? Because I can’t believe that all the Hawk owners got it wrong?

Comments much appreciated. ???

Offline gadgetman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I wanna be a kid again.....
Re: Jayco Hawk V Eagle why the choice difference?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
G'Day Scott
It's an interesting observation that you make - when we were looking around at the Jayco's we did see a few threads here and elsewhere that discussed the safety aspects (for small kids) of having the kitchens away from the main seating.  Perhaps as the kids have grown up, that requirement diminishes.

The Hawk does have a handy feature whereby you don't have to close the door to access the trunk because it's situated on the other side. 

Having the fridge near the door is handy but brings different problems.  If someone has the door open, you cant get past them.
Rob

2004 NP Pajero DiD,
2011 Swan Outback

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »
Hi Scott,

A good question - but ultimately a personal decision based on how you use the floor space inside. 

When we first went in search of a Jayco, we had decided we wanted the Hawk as we liked the big 'club lounge' area and the separate kitchen.  Here are a few things we noticed and why we ended up buying an Eagle (then later a Swan).

* In the Eagle/Swan layout you have two seating areas. We found that when you are inside (by choice or due to weather) it was good to have two places to spread out (friends with small kids have also agreed with this). I like to sit and read the paper at the table. Other half likes to stretcch out on the lounge. We found this layout more conducive to a mix of needs.

* When preparing food, the table is immediately behind you in the Eagle/Swan and we use as extra bench space. You also have some bench space on either side of the sink.  In the Hawk, you dont, and so the question is where do you put the dishes? I like dirty dishes on one side and clean on the other. Remember the sink is only small and if you are minimising your water use, you need the sink to be clear to wash.

* Depending on how many people you might accommodate, you can turn the Eagle layout into two extra (separate) beds - a good re-sale point

* I am not certain but from memory, the sink and bench in the Hawk is (or felt) lower than in the Eagle. This may have changed.

* We're not fans of getting dressed in the kitchen area and in the Hawk there isnt as much floor space at the other end away from the kitchen.

* Often, we have wanted something from the fridge while in transit and been able to reach in and open the fridge quite easily. Crawling in and around the fridge door in the Hawk seemed awkward

I am certain that others will prefer the Hawk layout for many other reasons I havent suggested, but these were the items that influenced our decision. Interestingly when we went searching for secondhand, there were very few Hawks yet many Eagles/Swans. I thought (but dont know) that this was because there are generally more of them around.  We certainly see many more on the road than we do of the Hawks.  But it could just be coincidence.

Hope all that info helps in some small way.

Cheers

Offline Sharshebelle1

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
We also went for the Eagle over the Hawk for most of the reasons state by Stozz,  particularly fridge location and extra sleeping room. Most of the time we sit and eat outside,  but on those occassions when the weather is bad,  ie snow or torrential rain,  the extra seating area is a life saver with kids.
09 Pathfinder
2010 Jayco Eagle Outback.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »
I am a mad Hawks supporter and the rest of the family (born in Western Australia) won the argument in purchasing the Eagle - But originally I wanted a Hawk but could not get one at the rite price but in reading the pros and cons I am glad we ended up with an Eagle,as far as an annexe goes if you can get one at the rite price with out an annex , as we did , we got an annex made up slightly wider than the standard annex which worked well with the 2 tables we place in it .  at least I can say the eagle is always behind the hawk as the tug vehicle is covered in Hawks stickers - but as far as a swan goes Sydney can have them  :cup: :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:51:31 PM by fishfinder »
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Sundowners

• Tent User
  • Settin' up when the sun goes down.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
Personal choice indeed, and only one you can decide on. All above opinions are quite valid and some are things that we liked about the Eagle but in the end for us the Hawk won on points.

We chose the Hawk mainly on these points;

* The fridge is actually easily accessed from the main door (the fridge door can be hung so that it opens to the rear - ours was from new). When accessing on the road with the roof down etc you sit in from the doorway with feet hanging out and facing the doorway to pass/receive items (if this makes sense). For me it felt ergonomically better.

* The storage boot is at the rear of the door and not interfered/obstructed. Planning on a slideout bbq in ours.

* With small kids we wanted the kitchen away from the table and 'their end'. Wanted the cook to be away from menacing traffic as kids just cant sit still.

* With a family of 5 we felt there was more sitting space around the table to eat together. But yes the Eagle has more sitting options which would also be handy.

* There seemed to be more useable storage space and didnt go much on the robe concept in the Eagle. I think 2011 onwards Hawks had the 'TV cabinet' instead of the lounge that went all the way to the door..

The sink area in the Hawk is a couple of inches lower that in the Eagle (because of the way the bed slides over the tap) and is a negative but was not a deciding issue for us. As with everything there are compromises so best bet is to go to a sale yard and try out each type to see which best fits you. I dont think you could go wrong with either choice.

Cheers.
Jason
2004 TD100
2011 Hawk Outback

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
From a male point of view, with an eagle you can get in and out of the lounge area and the fridge without disturbing SWMBO when she is working in the kitchen area. Suits SWMBO too!
We have had and seen numerous caravans and other camper layouts where one person has to literally sit down or get out altogether to allow another person access.
The eagle is great in wet weather as four adults can comfortably sit in the lounge area and access to the fridge and kitchen area is not a problem.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
We chose the Hawk, primarily because we thought that 1 big sitting area seemed to work better than 2 small ones.
(seperate seat and dinette in eagle gave 2 small areas rather than the hawks one big area.)

Another major factor was that we had toddlers at the time of purchase and being able to reach the cooktop from the table was a big no no for us.
Imagine a little one a metre away from the boiling kettle while you bend down to get the milk.
Kids will be kids............

Lower bench height in the hawk upsets some people, but doesnt bother us at all.

Hopefully helpful
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Macca357

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
Hi Scott, we chose the Hawk as we liked the separation between the Kitchen and the couch / table area.  The down side is that the Hawk sink is lower than the Eagle and is not fitted with a 'normal' mains pressure tap.  I ended up adding a folding flick mixer tap to make life easier. 

The current Hawks (2011+)have an extra TV cupboard in the middle of camper with a drawer and set of shelves which is handy for storage.  I think the Eagle is well set up for familes who need separate couches and eating areas for a bit of space.  Whichever one you decide on you'll see things on the other that look good.  The most important thing is to make a decision and place the order!

:cheers: Macca.