Author Topic: Alternator Welder  (Read 1275 times)

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
Alternator Welder
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
My son has decided for a Metal Work Project is to build a Alternator welder...  So today we went to revolved where he bought a 4 Stroke mower $15 and while there a bloke got talking to us and said he had a Esab Alternator welder at home, Hell it sounds like cheating, anyway we went and bought it $25...

The thing is that there looks like a control box missing and my concern is that this unit use to punch out 240volts also... Not something I want him to take to school...

So here are a couple of photo's and if anyone has any advise on how to wire this alternator up safely it would be appreciated... Before we do anything I will make sure we have it checked by a Electrician if there is any doubt at all....

If this works out I might just rewire my alternator on the 80 just in case I needed a welder out bush..  :)

This dude we bought it from was a fanatic model plane dude that must have at least 8 gas powered helicopters and a dozen or more model planes hanging from rafters and on boxes FFS..  a couple lathes and a milling machine...   He also gave me a vacuum pump for meth recovery for Biodiesel and Callum a electric helicopter... If anyone is in the market for a couple  Alfa GTV's 1970's Yamaha offroad bike, boats, printers, scooters, Honda generator motor going gen broken.. on and on and on....  In Canberra though...  he just spend $50k on a new Caravan       

Thank You
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Alternator Welder
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
Hi KiwiPete
Obviously I cannot see the entire wiring, I can see the direct line giving you a 240 volt outlet, and the transformer breaking the power down for battery charging, the colouirs look correct, but that means very little.  I would be simple enough to run a multimeter over it and make sure the power is correct.  Alternatively you can message a contact number to me, and I will forward that to a mate of mine who is a good auto sparky, though I would assume you have some sparky's on this site.
Regards
Tjupurula