Author Topic: Black Puma/Panther sightings in Vic - the hunt is on  (Read 25626 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Black Puma/Panther sightings in Vic - the hunt is on
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

Now, assuming there was a breeding pair of pumas in the wild, they've been inbreeding for 70 years... With a new generation every five years, that's 14 generations of inbreeding to date. They'd be pretty messed up mutants, and no longer be recognizable as black pumas, even if they were still fertile.

In-breed ya say? Messed up Mutants?...

Hmmm, seems I have a vague recollection of a similar story...something about only 1 of each sex in existence - living in a magical forest, & something about an apple & a snake!!!   >:D
Bob and Robyn

Offline DiverBob

• I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Like Cheese Cutters in the sand.....
    • Picasa Web Albums - DiverBob1
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
I've just been doing some reading on pumas.... Seems a female starts breeding at 3yo, and will have a litter every year ... Normally two or three, but possibly as many as five... That's a lot of puma kittens for that first breeding pair, and the subsequent generations.

Perhaps inbreeding isn't as big an issue as I first assumed....

According to the boffins, every dingo in Aus is descended from a single litter of puppies brought to Aus from Indonesia.... Allegedly, they are all inbred Asian Yellow Dogs.

If dingoes are a distinctive native species now, how long before our inbred pumas are a distinctive native species?
Bob and The Mob.

If you can't repair a tyre, why the hell are you out here?

____ ____   |===|O==O|
          {___{____}  |[][]   [][ __ ]|,_          
          [_--_[_(( )]   |_--__[]--[:O=O:]      
            ( )) - ))        ( ))o-))( ))o-))

Offline graham

• I used to cruise, now i just PATROL
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • nrnr62
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
G,day BD ,I was one of those  who probably sat on the fence about these critters,till i seen a ,let's call it a cat . I was going down the track to get some firewood with the two kids in the car,I rounded a bend to see a lab on the track heading away from me, and I thought that someone was walking their  dog,so i slowed down a bit,it then shot up the embankment into the scrub. Now I can tell you that,as a owner/operator of a black lab, the size is very similar to mine,and he is of a slight build(you have seen him John) ,it was the tail as it shot off the track it would have to be two thirds of its body. Mind you this all happened in the space of two -three seconds . I have also shot a few feral cats and dogs in my time. But back to the original question 6 months ago ,did not really believe in the stories ,now as they say seeing is believing
nrnr62

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
Geeze I'd hate to have some of you guys on a jury. All this, I thought I saw ,it might have been, here's a very fuzzy picture or a video where it's impossible to actually identify the animal but it must be a panther/cougar/jaguar.and if this story/myth gets spread around by enough people for long enough it must be "true".
These stories have been going around for 60 years, and guess what,there has not been 1 single solitary,irrefutable , shred of evidence to prove they exist in Australia ever produced.
Paw prints...most school kids could fake them.
Animal/stock kills....packs of wild/feral dogs or even feral cats/pigs
Photos/videos.....in this day and age of digital enhancement you've got to be kidding.

To give an example a friend and I were driving from Horsham to Mildura very late 1 night,we were tired and yes we had consumed a couple of stubbies, (Melbourne to Mildura was a 6 pack trip)a mob of sheep appeared coming down the road towards us, we both saw them,we slowed the car down to a walking speed as we got closer, we both commented that it was odd that a mob of sheep would be on the road at that time of night,when we were about 10/15 yards from them the bloody things vanished, they were a mirage that we both saw in the middle of the night, we discussed what had happened for several years and have never had an explanation for what happened.
So untill somebody can produce a warm body of one of these beasts, no, not a feral cat, but a real live or very recently deceased big cat with dna testing, I'm sorry but I think you believers a having a big w@#nk and need to loosen your grip on yourselves   :cheers:

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »

So what you are saying xcavator ... is that me ... lil ol Kit_e_kat9 ... is the only Big Cat walking FREE among us ... right now ... here in Oz?  Okay, so I might not be small, but I ain't overly big either ... lets call me a medium.  ;D

;D  LOL!   :angel:

Kit_e

P.S. I did have a good laugh at those videos ... blurry, can't focus, digitally un-enhanced ... domestic & feral kitties at their trickiest to capture.   :cup:

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »

So what you are saying xcavator ... is that me ... lil ol Kit_e_kat9 ... is the only Big Cat walking FREE among us ... right now ... here in Oz?  Okay, so I might not be small, but I ain't overly big either ... lets call me a medium.  ;D

Kit_e

P.S. I did have a good laugh at those videos ... blurry, can't focus, digitally un-enhanced ... domestic & feral kitties at their trickiest to capture.   :cup:

Your "Goldilocks size", not too small, not too large, but just right.  :D or so i've heard. (But it was never proven in court)
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »

Kit_e

That depends Kit_e, are you wild, feral or just another pussie that likes to be stroked
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
If there were, i though someone like Menkhorst would have brought back a scat by now!

Here's what to look for.  Good Luck!

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
And once again, our pollies show a complete disregard by joining forces with other (so called educated) lunatics to waste valuable money!  >:(
Bob and Robyn

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
Some years back, round '67 started hunting these big cats, over the next 50 years shot 283 of them and put a big notch in the 458Mag. stock for ea. one.

The better half was getting snakey about the cost of stocks, the 25th a $2,500 McMillan on the action at the mo', and I've had to give the big cat hunting away, old age pensioner etc etc......

Unfortunately never had time to take a picture or skin one in all that time and got 'em all !!

I did see a Tasmanian Tiger yesterday though in the main street of Maffra, up a tree, the old hunter instinct took over and I cut the tree down to get to the creature.

It did land on a white L/C Wagon with Flash Harry Camper and now the wife can only visit between 2pm and 3pm on the 29th of February, crikey these tight jackets are uncomfortable as blazes.............
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/another-victorian-big-black-cat-sighting-at-oshannassy-aqueduct-trail-in-warburton-east/news-story/6d42c71c0a19c61c2efd25b7c5bcb5b1

My mother reckons she saw some kind of "big cat" on the Warburton Trail years ago. Talking early 2000's I guess? She claims it was roughly the size of a Labrador, not really a "panther".

Now, my mother might be a lot of things, but her eyesight is reasonable and she's not completely nuts... so this myth may have some credibility. But for all the time I spent on that trail riding horses as a teenager I can't say I ever saw one...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
We grow Feral house cats pretty big down here.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »
We grow Feral house cats pretty big down here.

Yeah because we have rats as big as wombats  - oh wait, they are wombats. ;D
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
There is a Black Puma (of sorts) in the main shopping strip of Lancefield that appeared, literally overnight, the last time the "Big Cats" story broke a few years ago.