Author Topic: Can non Q'landers drive in or through Q'Land in own vehicles with seats removed?  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Just asking, have had a lot of second hand chat about someone else's relo etc. being booked for not having the second row seats in the vehicle.
Using the second row for gear/water storage. 
I have a 105 Cruiser with folding/removeable seats in the 3rd. row, and they went into the shed very quickly.
I was wanting to move weight forward in the vehicle, by using the back seat area for gear, with the seats removed while Touring. 
Effectively creating a 2 seater wagon.
It's ok in Vic. if it's Temporary, and the seatbelts are left in place, as I understand it.
Just hoping someone, in Q'land., can help.  TIA.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
We don't book ya for not having seats fitted.
We book ya cause we don't like Victorians.  ;D  :cheers:
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
We don't book ya for not having seats fitted.
We book ya cause we don't like Victorians.  ;D  :cheers:
Thats a bit racist

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
I don't understand how you can be booked for not having seats in place, i can understand for adding seats though.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
I don't understand how you can be booked for not having seats in place, i can understand for adding seats though.

Because the seating capacity stated is greater than the actual number of seats. You can get the seating capacity changed by Vicroads making it legal, not sure on other states. I took the back seat out of mine and built a storage unit and fridge, had it like that for about three years then went back to a five seater

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
I know when I moved from NT to QLD I had to have a mod plate fitted to my troopy if I wanted to register it as a 9 seater because I had removed the rear seats.  I ended up fitting them to get registered and once done took them out.  Legal...dont know.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Yes you can, same rule as Vic. The other thing is that as long as the vehicle is compliant with the state it is registered in you are good.

The key question that needs to be answered when assessing the removal of seats is whether the vehicle is permanently modified (the seats are removed for an indefinite period or are not expected to be refitted) or has it just been reconfigured in accordance with the manufacturers various options.

• For vehicles fitted with quick release seating attachments as original equipment, temporary removal of the seats is acceptable. A Modification Plate does not need to be fitted. This is commonly the case for four wheel drives and people movers.

• For vehicles fitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Vehicle-standards-instructions/L51.pdf?la=en

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
Because the seating capacity stated is greater than the actual number of seats. You can get the seating capacity changed by Vicroads making it legal, not sure on other states. I took the back seat out of mine and built a storage unit and fridge, had it like that for about three years then went back to a five seater

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I understand, but how can they book you for that. So your 5 seater now only has 2 seats, that just means you can only carry 2 persons in the vehicle, the same as if hubby and wife drive around and never have any additional passengers. Stupid rule

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
Mod plating is a bit of stuffing around, but can save you a lot.

On something like a troopy, 9 seats sees you in the bus category for CTP, so taking a few seats out knocks the premium down significantly.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
All depends on what mood plod is in when you’re talking to him on the side of the road.

If everything in the space where the back seats should be is clearly just temporary and the seatbelts are all still in place, you can try your best to talk your way out of it.

Seatbelts removed and frames/drawers/cages permanently bolted down where the seats should be and you can expect a little less weight in your wallet. ;)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
So, if I have the two rear seats of my 7 seater folded into the floor and the drawers installed over them, I could be booked for not having a functioning 7 seater  :o :o
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
I know that, when they're touring, my Bil takes both the 2nd & 3rd row seats out of his Pajero ;)

Has never said that there's been any problem (but I also don't think he's been stopped & checked ???)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
So, if I have the two rear seats of my 7 seater folded into the floor and the drawers installed over them, I could be booked for not having a functioning 7 seater  :o :o

Can you put the seats back in again? Then no.

The statement of "...removed for an indefinite period or are not expected to be refitted" can easily be argued that installing the seats when you get home from the trip or even before selling the vehicle is a defined period.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Vehicle-standards-instructions/L51.pdf?la=en
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Can you put the seats back in again? Then no.  Can't because they're still there in the Paj. and he'd have to pull out the stuff on top to prove it.
I'm not doing anything more than unscrewing the bolts that hold the seat to the body, and storing the seat till I get back.
The statement of "...removed for an indefinite period or are not expected to be refitted" can easily be argued that installing the seats when you get home from the trip or even before selling the vehicle is a defined period.  That's how I thought it applied

My thoughts, thanks Hoyks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:45:51 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
wasnt this one doing the rounds about 15 yrs ago and was kyboshed as manure.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
I am 99% sure you'll be OK.
I know a bloke who has a 3/4 cab mazda with the rear opening half sized doors, he unbolted the back seats to fit a 40 litre fridge and was OK for when the coppers recently looked over his car for some reason.
Key being Unbolted, no changes.
Most 100 or 105's here have back 3rd row seats gone with kit bolted in, no troubles until you sell it and need a safety cert. The 3rd row then needs to be seen in place. I don't see that as a problem for a Victorian, so long as you leave......
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Dave, that's as bad as Jeepers.
Gotta come up that end of the world to visit my son at some stage.
So I was just trying to do the right thing anyway.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
4wd Victoria did this one 10+ yrs ago - you'll be fine.

Call em if your unsure
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
4wd Victoria did this one 10+ yrs ago - you'll be fine.

Call em if your unsure

HAHAHA...Bird.....Your talking about Qld....Anything can happen in 10 years up here.  With the looney politicians we get everything is unpredictable, except one thing....pollies ability to gouge the absolute Shit out of the system and line their pockets.  I think its the only state that sees mental instability as a qualification for government.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

KingBilly

Simple answer.  If it is a legal modification in the state of vehicle registration, it is legal in all other states.  You’re welcome.  Have a nice day.

KB

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Simple answer.  If it is a legal modification in the state of vehicle registration, it is legal in all other states.  You’re welcome.  Have a nice day.

KB

Try telling that to the thousands who got fined for their lightbars/spotties being on the roof/bulbar/wrong spot in the eyes of officer dribble etc that WAS legal in one state but not the next!! Yes I was 1 of them.
Your trumpet is a bit flat KB  ;) ;) ;D

I raised the seating issue with the WA DOT where my vehicle is registered. Mine is regoed as a 5 seater due to the chop. I have removed the middle row seats to essentially make it a 4 door 2 seater ute. Now the crunch, as far as the ginger beer at the DOT is concerned, I am legal as long as the seatbelts ARE removed!! Therefore,  no one can be legally seated where the seats have been removed.
No issues travelling throughout Australia including the plod on Fraser having a good look over my vehicle and a 1/2 hour discussion on it.

I would assume the attitude you show the good officer of the law would reflect the outcome.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

KingBilly

I stand by my comment.

Maybe your light bar was not legal in WA?  As for thousands of interstate drivers being fined, I call bull$hit by 100%

If you disagree with an infringement issued by police/traffic inspectors/parking inspectors/whooever then there are appeal processes you can follow.

KB

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.

Try telling that to the thousands who got fined for their lightbars/spotties being on the roof/bulbar/wrong spot in the eyes of officer dribble etc that WAS legal in one state but not the next!! Yes I was 1 of them.
Your trumpet is a bit flat KB  ;) ;) ;D

I raised the seating issue with the WA DOT where my vehicle is registered. Mine is regoed as a 5 seater due to the chop. I have removed the middle row seats to essentially make it a 4 door 2 seater ute. Now the crunch, as far as the ginger beer at the DOT is concerned, I am legal as long as the seatbelts ARE removed!! Therefore,  no one can be legally seated where the seats have been removed.
No issues travelling throughout Australia including the plod on Fraser having a good look over my vehicle and a 1/2 hour discussion on it.

I would assume the attitude you show the good officer of the law would reflect the outcome.
It depends what the notice was written out for.
In Vic. those overhead spots are supposed to be covered during the daytime, only uncovered at night.
If you had them operating, that's a different ball of wax.
And just like KB says, it's not hard to fail the attitude test sometimes.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
I stand by my comment.

Maybe your light bar was not legal in WA?  As for thousands of interstate drivers being fined, I call bull$hit by 100%

If you disagree with an infringement issued by police/traffic inspectors/parking inspectors/whooever then there are appeal processes you can follow.

KB

Well, look who rode in on a high horse...…..
Was legal on the roof in WA (where my vehicle is registered) not legal in SA, I was fined, disputed, and fine rescinded. All 4 in our convoy were fined for one thing or another. So 4 vehicles that were legal in one state and fined in another. The point is the fine that was issued in the first place, shouldn't have been!! How many people have blindly paid a fine and not disputed it??? Most people don't know how, or have the time to dispute !!! How many backpacker mobiles cross over interstate annually that could fall in this bracket???? So, yes, I'd say thousands...………
<<steps off soap box n climbs onto a horse ;D ;D >>
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
I live in QLD and also have a 105 Cruiser with folding/removable seats in the 3rd row and over the past 10 years they have also been in the shed for 95% of that time.

Mind you apart from the odd breathalyser/licence/rego check I’ve never actually been pulled over by the police, (Mind you I have received photos by mail   :'(? ) but even when being breathalysed/licence/rego check they haven’t said anything about the 3rd row seats not being in the car.