Author Topic: Good Dawn Service's to attend  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Hoop Snake

• Sleeping Bag User
Good Dawn Service's to attend
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »
Hi everyone, just while it is fresh in everyone's mind's I'm interested in finding some good places to attend. After a couple of years of being left a little disappointed with my local dawn service I thought that maybe from now on I'll attend a different one every year, circumstances permitting. The plan would be to drive to the town a day or so before, attend the service, parade etc then maybe stay a day or so after. So any recommendations and maybe a quick description i.e light horses attended or screen display etc. I'm not after the biggest flashest service, in fact I would prefer a small country town or small coastal town over a big city, they tend to have a bit more feeling IMO.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:33:18 AM by Hoop Snake »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Good Dawn Service's to attend
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Hi hoops......

I can highly recommend the dawn service at Blackboy hill in WA. Don't know your locale and it might be a fair drive, but it's definitely worth it. Especially the history of the area.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
 ANZAC day  on Fraser Island is on my to do list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6vV_-LqMY
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
Don't go to Currumbin on the GC then, because it's everything a Dawn Service shouldn't be! :'( >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GreyGhost

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
hi bud

yes i agree with doc evil black boy hill in perth good thats where i did dawn service this year not talking service just piper  and last post very moving but  last post brings tears my eyes every year and shiver up my spine

like doc said history there as it was main camp 1914 before troops got train  from midland to free mantle then on ships to EGYPPT  for training .

Albany  down bottom  wa awesome mt clarance well worth doing lot history  there from end 1914 when all Nz and aust troops asmble there

bakers hill country wa does awesome little service at 1045  with RAAF  fly over .

Go New Zealand  go mt mauganoui  in bay of plenty  do dawn service on beach  thats moving .

last if you know any x special forces guys , go Cambell barracks in swan borne wa where SASR regiment is based.

They have the dawn service at Rock  inside the compound , where all names of regiment guys that have fallen  .

then they project  photos of fallen guys on side one buildings  , I've had  attended this service , but very busy as lot wa dignires attend .

the boys then go on do main prade in city and go Anzac house  , another good place go watch main perth parade .

cheers GG sorry i can't spell i do my best

Offline Hoop Snake

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far. I probably should have mentioned that I'm in Sth East Qld. Feel free to still add from all over though as it might give others some inspiration. Or I might find myself in the area at the right time.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »
Not dawn service, but I have attended the day time service and march at Oakey which had choppers from the local base fly low down the street at the end of the service. Being it's close to a base means it has a decent service person attendance. I'd like to attend a dawn service there one day to see what it's like, you can camp nearby at Jondaryn Woolshed which is a nice location.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »

A bit difficult to find nearby camping spots, but seriously, everyone in their lifetime should attend the Sydney Dawn Service in Martin Place. It is uplifting and inspiring that our country gets in so right in commemorating the sacrifice of our servicemen and women. I have attended Gallipoli and Villers Brettoneux and Sydney is still the best.

Offline Hoop Snake

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
     A bit difficult to find nearby camping spots, but seriously, everyone in their lifetime should attend the Sydney Dawn Service in Martin Place. It is uplifting and inspiring that our country gets in so right in commemorating the sacrifice of our servicemen and women. I have attended Gallipoli and Villers Brettoneux and Sydney is still the best.
What, so they won't let me set up the camper trailer beside the Opera house? Bloody fun police!!
Nah, I would like to see the big one's, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. I  don't do too well in big crowds though so it would have to be for something special like ANZAC day to get me in there.

Offline modern_adventurer

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
Sydney is a good Dawn Service. There's something really nice about it.

Second year I've attended Perth's Dawn Service at King's Park and it's fantastic. Thousands of people which mightn't be what you're after, but fantastically run.
If you're really bored, check out my blog Modern Adventurer

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
We did Armidale Dawn Service, followed by Dangarsleigh morning service.

Armidale Dawn Service is probably very conventional, but Dangarsleigh is a bit special for a number of reasons:
1) Dangarsleigh War Memorial is a private constructed memorial
2) Because of 1) it is on the NSW State Register of Historical doohickeys
3) It is a social event, and an opportunity for the community to get together - they read out a list of new people in the area, and people who'd passed away in the last 12 months
4) It involves everyone - the kids from the local school came round with the collection buckets.
5) It's got a good free camp 10km down the road at Dangars Falls, ideal for some bushwalks and as a base to explore the New England North West.
6) There's 16 names on the memorial but some 300 people turned out for the service, and cars were parked for about 300m each way, both sides and on all 3 roads near the monument.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »
We attended the one at Highfields just north of Toowoomba.

Not to bad considering for current serving defence members, it's still a work day for us.

One thing I don't understand, we had the local karate club, football club and Rugby club march too.

Then when we hit the tavern afterwards, all the tables were reserved for these clubs.

Nowhere for us to eat or drink.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:48:04 AM by SEADOO »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
^^  Thats just a country way of saying, " Say G,Day  and join us mate " .  ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
The march in Darwin is impressive. Being a garrison town there's lots of serviceman March including the marines (who got the largest appaulse second was the service dogs ) and a fly over by F18s and tiger attack helicopters. I missed the dawn service regrettably but it's on the esplanade and would imagine it's a great one.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Hoop Snake

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
We attended the one at Highfields just north of Toowoomba.

Not to bad considering for current serving defence members, it's still a work day for us.

One thing I don't understand, we had the local karate club, football club and Rugby club march too.

Then when we hit the tavern afterwards, all the tables were reserved for these clubs.

Nowhere for us to eat or drink.

Were you part of the parade or were you in civvies gonged up? That's pretty rugged if you couldn't even get a feed and a beer on ANZAC day...
I  actually read on another forum that during the dawn service in a large town they had a big screen up playing ads for the local business' and clubs, which is sort of why I want to either attend services in small towns or at Defence bases etc from now on. I don't think it's the time or the place for advertising / club recruitment.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"