Author Topic: Camping dogs  (Read 4182 times)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Camping dogs
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
I know some other My Swaggers have dogs they take camping with them...

So, show us photos, tell us about them!

This little guy is Dog. Yeah, I know, so creative. ;) Feel free to ask about the boring story behind how he ended up called that.

Despite what the name suggests he's a spoilt rotten furchild. I'm sure he has more articles of clothing than some children, and more than is likely sensible for a dog living in Queensland (he owns a Driz-a-bone!). He's about 4 years old now, Staffy x, and was an RSPCA mutt. His "day job" is working as a therapy dog in an aged care home.

Favourite pastimes are sleeping, walks, and eating food. Least favourite is bath time.

First time we took him camping he wouldn't go to the toilet for nearly 24hrs because he used to be far too private about such things! Spent the whole first night keeping us up sooking because he wanted to go to the toilet but didn't understand the bush campsite was all a "big backyard" that was OK for him to go pee-pees. *sigh* Didn't take me long to teach him how to pee on command, problem solved now. ;)

Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
Re: Camping dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
lol bloody ripper write up. thanks

ill chuck my two into the mix when i get my phone. cheers

these are my two travelling and touring and camping friends. schnitzel is golden brown like my fav food and toby is my retiree. schnitty rides shotgun with me to work every day after toby retired two years ago. now toby keeps an eye on security at home while schnitzel and i earn a crust. love me two dogs, i reckon theyre ace
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:16:49 PM by lincolnland »
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
Great idea. These are our two. A 9 year old golden retriever called Mac and a 3 year old kelpie/Labrador called Roxy.

They are a bit yin and yang, retriever relaxed and laid back while the kelpie is mad as a cut snake.

Most of our camping revolves around these two and we only take them to places they can run freely.

The boss wants a 3rd and thinks we should take the cat camping. Lol

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
I know some other My Swaggers have dogs they take camping with them...

So, show us photos, tell us about them!

This little guy is Dog. Yeah, I know, so creative. ;) Feel free to ask about the boring story behind how he ended up called that.

Despite what the name suggests he's a spoilt rotten furchild. I'm sure he has more articles of clothing than some children, and more than is likely sensible for a dog living in Queensland (he owns a Driz-a-bone!). He's about 4 years old now, Staffy x, and was an RSPCA mutt. His "day job" is working as a therapy dog in an aged care home.

Favourite pastimes are sleeping, walks, and eating food. Least favourite is bath time.

First time we took him camping he wouldn't go to the toilet for nearly 24hrs because he used to be far too private about such things! Spent the whole first night keeping us up sooking because he wanted to go to the toilet but didn't understand the bush campsite was all a "big backyard" that was OK for him to go pee-pees. *sigh* Didn't take me long to teach him how to pee on command, problem solved now. ;)

Dog looks well spoilt mate. How'd he get his name?

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
Nice thread.

I'd like to introduce Tucker... the Samoyed. (yes... he has his own Facebook page... I blame my wife)

He's almost 3 years old.

He's our boy. We can't have kids so he's the heir apparent.

Just came back from the National meet at Mansfield. This was his first ever camping trip. Needless to say he had much to adjust to. Like being on a leash all day... and meeting well over a 100 new people and kids and other dogs...

The good thing was that we crate trained him from a 8 weeks of age. So he was quite happy to sleep in his crate under the campers awning.

And while it may have taken almost 1 hour on the Saturday night, (at the National Meet) surrounded by everyone, and all the noise and excitement, for him to "settle down"... eventually he did.

I'm taking him camping again in a couple of weeks.

He spends his days with me at work. In fact, he's been coming to work with me since he was just 8 weeks (and 2 days) old. He came into our family on the Saturday... and then started with me at work on the Monday. 1 hour drive each way and 8 hours at work... he's loved by everyone at work.

We'e hoping to be able to do an "open ended, working and travelling, big lap" in the next few years and we'll be planning places to visit based on him (and possibly another dog) being with us. (he copes with humidity just fine)

I included a pic from camping at Easter from Buckland river (on the way home).

A pic of him guarding the stairs at work, another of him relaxing at work and one of him on his first day at work with me. Aged just 8 weeks and two days old.

and yeh... he's spoilt rotten.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:16:06 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
Tucker looks very much the spoilt pooch!  ;D And don't worry, our little guy has his own Instagram when I remember to update it. ;) We don't have kids so he's it.

The story behind Dog's name... When we adopted him I think his name was Chief. It had previously been Caramel. Neither suited him even remotely. He's a sook so Chief definitely didn't fit, and Caramel was... girly and just... wrong for him. We hadn't intended to come home with a dog the day we got him - it'd been on the cards but we went to lunch one weekend... went to the RSPCA for a look... and sure enough, there he was and neither of us were leaving without him. Names weren't on our radar as a result of the spontaneity of getting him that day. Also, I was a veterinarian in another life (was at the time we got him) so many of the names my husband considered were taken by other dogs that either had tried to bite me, were over-excitable in the clinic, or similar. It becomes a LOT harder to name a dog when you know all the good names are taken! ;) After nearly a month we still hadn't officially named him (a friend of ours called him Buddy and to this day still calls him that!) and having referred to him as "Dog" it stuck and that's what we settled on! By then he knew it was his name, and he loves that "everyone knows his name" (ie. people talking about dogs in front of him... he thinks they're all talking about him!).

In a weird way it really suits him. I have had a few people say "How dare you call your dog Dog!" but usually within about 5 seconds of meeting him they get over it. ;)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
Tucker looks very much the spoilt pooch!  ;D And don't worry, our little guy has his own Instagram when I remember to update it. ;) We don't have kids so he's it.

The story behind Dog's name... When we adopted him I think his name was Chief. It had previously been Caramel. Neither suited him even remotely. He's a sook so Chief definitely didn't fit, and Caramel was... girly and just... wrong for him. We hadn't intended to come home with a dog the day we got him - it'd been on the cards but we went to lunch one weekend... went to the RSPCA for a look... and sure enough, there he was and neither of us were leaving without him. Names weren't on our radar as a result of the spontaneity of getting him that day. Also, I was a veterinarian in another life (was at the time we got him) so many of the names my husband considered were taken by other dogs that either had tried to bite me, were over-excitable in the clinic, or similar. It becomes a LOT harder to name a dog when you know all the good names are taken! ;) After nearly a month we still hadn't officially named him (a friend of ours called him Buddy and to this day still calls him that!) and having referred to him as "Dog" it stuck and that's what we settled on! By then he knew it was his name, and he loves that "everyone knows his name" (ie. people talking about dogs in front of him... he thinks they're all talking about him!).

In a weird way it really suits him. I have had a few people say "How dare you call your dog Dog!" but usually within about 5 seconds of meeting him they get over it. ;)

Ha ha great story. At the end of the day, they don't care what they're called. As long as they get a feed and a pat they are happy.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Lots of camping dogs on this thread  :cheers:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=7857.0
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »

Slightly off topic , but I have a cat and his name is Cat. Similar thing , he had a couple of name before he came into my care so the cat became Cat.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »
Lots of camping dogs on this thread  :cheers:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=7857.0

Thanks for sharing that link, some great photos in that thread too. :) Its nice to see and hear about other peoples' pets.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 02:10:37 AM »
Our almost 9yo mini Schnauzer. She doesn't usually come camping with us as we often go to National Parks. Tough little dog but can be a lap dog at inappropriate times....

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
Harry our rescue dog. Poor boy was so abused before we got him. He had mange, scars everywhere and at some point he had had a broken hip. He weighed 9 kilos @ approxamitley 2 years old when we got him home. He is good and spoiled now.
g
Gillie our eldest

Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
Our almost 9yo mini Schnauzer. She doesn't usually come camping with us as we often go to National Parks. Tough little dog but can be a lap dog at inappropriate times....

Schnauzers are such awesome little dogs! Great personalities. We have the same issue - a lot of where we go means we're staying in or passing through national parks. We try to take our little guy when we can.

Sounds like Harry fell on his feet going to you guys, Bill! Rescue dogs are the best - they pay you back 10 fold for any love and care you give them. Gillie is pretty cute, too. What breed?

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:32 PM »
Schnauzers are such awesome little dogs! Great personalities. We have the same issue - a lot of where we go means we're staying in or passing through national parks. We try to take our little guy when we can.

Sounds like Harry fell on his feet going to you guys, Bill! Rescue dogs are the best - they pay you back 10 fold for any love and care you give them. Gillie is pretty cute, too. What breed?
Gillies our Cairn Terrier or as I refer to him Canned Terror.
SWMBO always had Cairns growing up so I got her Gillie as a pup 10 years ago. He is defiantly a Daddy's boy and pure personality.
We got Harry after Gillie's brother died and Gillie went into a deep depression (No I'm not kidding)
He and his brother were very close for the 6 years they were together.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline The Caseys

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
Introducing 'Buddy'.  We got him at 6weeks old and enjoyed his 1st camping trip at 3months.  He knows when we put the car harness on him that it is camping time and freedom is to be enjoyed.  He loves bringing back to camp the treats that he finds in the way of bones from stinking carcasses.  Loves the water but hates it when he drive across creek crossings, then he sits on the back seat watching instead of playing in it.  We would never consider going camping and not taking him.

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Here's our new addition to the menagerie,Sophie. A rescue dog with a bit of Red heeler,Jack Russell and who knows what else.
She's settled in very well to camping and boating life !
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
Buddy and Sophie look in their element camping!

This was just too classic not to share - Dog at the MySwag photography meet up this past weekend. Spoilt rotten just how he likes it even when camping. He even has his own chair to sit on... he'd steal ours if we didn't take one for him. ;)

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
This is our girl got her from the dogs home about 4 years ago poor thing must of been abused in a number of ways, she loves riding in the back of the ute and good company when were camping to, only thing  we have to watch her is when the fire is going, were pretty sure someone burnt her due to her Scare's l and she won't go near it,