Author Topic: MY17 Triton GLX-Plus, good or bad?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
MY17 Triton GLX-Plus, good or bad?
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
The wife and I can drive away in a brand new MY 17 Triton GLX-Plus with a factory canopy, Towbar with Towpro controller, tint and floor matts for $36k with an extended warranty if we service it through them.

Brand new vehicle for less than 40k is appealing. Last week I was quoted $92k for the POV pack 200 Series.

Are the current model Tritons any good?

It'll only be used to drag the JetSki to Somerset Dam and the Lifestyle Elite to Tallbuggera every Christmas with the annual trip to Fraser.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: MY17 Triton GLX-Plus, good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
I have the current MQ Triton in Dual cab 2WD GLX auto. It Shits all over my old MN Triton in same spec. For what you are proposing it will be fine. Mine is a company supplied vehicle and if I was to buy my own dual cab (which I am considering) it will be a XLT Ranger in 4WD. Mind you there is at least a $20k difference so the Triton is appealing.
The following users thanked this post: Streetkid

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »
$92k for a Pov pack 200. Tell em their dreaming
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »

The Tritons have a few convictions, big rear end overhang and a motor which has a very narrow peak torque band BUT it is outstanding value for money and I reckon more than compensates for the negatives. I can't see where you could go wrong with that sort of deal.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
I went from a VRX spec Pajero, to a GLS MQ Triton, and I have to say it's exceeded my expectations. For a twin cab ute it is relatively 'car-like' to drive, and it does everything, including off road work fairly well. It's not the best in class, but it is great value for your money.

Negatives? As Julian pointed out, the rear overhang is large, although that is fairly typical of twin cab utes.
Ride can be a bit jittery in the rear, particularly if you are lightly loaded.
Torque is light on until you get a few revs up. It's not terrible, but it isn't as good as some others in the class. That said, generally the engine performs well.
Fuel consumption. If you can get within a bulls roar of the quoted figures I would be amazed.

Positives. Value
Pretty comfortable and car-like (for a ute)
Surprisingly quiet.
Decent sound system.
Cooling/heating system works well.

The deal you've been offered sounds good to me. My only advice is to take it for a decent test drive on varied surfaces before you commit, to make sure it is your cup of tea.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:41:35 PM by Merts »
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Like the man said an MQ Triton for $36k and another $20k more for the top pick Ranger but for that money difference you'd have to want 55.6% more satisfaction and that's a big call for many. Of course if you were going off-road you could pay a wee bit more for a lot more satisfaction with the MQ  ;D
https://www.westernfilters.net.au/new-prov-14-provent-oil-catch-can-filter-kit-for-2015-mitsubishi-2-4l-triton-mq-pajero-sports-4n15/
https://chiptuning.com.au/mq-triton-dpf-off-egr-off-weve-done-it/
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
I don't understand how Mitsubishi can build the Pajero to equal/exceed it's competitors yet the Triton is such a mess compared to its competition (granted it has more competition than the Pajero does, but even so.....). The only thing the Triton has going for it is its price, its cheap. What are Mitsubishi thinking, surely they can do better to compete?

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:19:54 AM »
I can only guess you haven't driven an MQ Triton Chris?
It is not 'a mess'.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
I can only guess you haven't driven an MQ Triton Chris?
It is not 'a mess'.

To be fair, no I haven't mate, my opinion is based partially on owing the previous model which I found gutless, boring & incredibly uncomfortable. But I have also found others stating that the new model is not much better when compared to the competition, its still marketed as a cheap alternative & while looks are subjective, it isn't a particularly attractive looking vehicle with that massive arse & ugly front end. But my point was that Mitsubishi seem to have consistently kicked goals with the Pajero (& their other models) yet they've taken a completely different approach with the Triton, its like they've given up trying to compete with the Ranger, Hilux, Mazda & Colorado etc. & have built it as economically as possible & marketed it to sell on price alone. I should point out I am a Mitsubishi fan, I own a Pajero & have owned other Pajero's & Triton's in the past so I'm not trying to bash the brand.

Offline jacm

• Learning the Ropes
    • Home Photos
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Hi, can I ask where you getting this deal please. We are shopping for a cheap new ute and the Triton price can't be beaten.

Thanks
John
Thanks

John M
Lifestyle AT-12/Landcruiser 200

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
Hi, can I ask where you getting this deal please. We are shopping for a cheap new ute and the Triton price can't be beaten.

Thanks
John

You'll have to come up To Woomba mate.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
To be fair, no I haven't mate, my opinion is based partially on owing the previous model which I found gutless, boring & incredibly uncomfortable. But I have also found others stating that the new model is not much better when compared to the competition, its still marketed as a cheap alternative & while looks are subjective, it isn't a particularly attractive looking vehicle with that massive arse & ugly front end. But my point was that Mitsubishi seem to have consistently kicked goals with the Pajero (& their other models) yet they've taken a completely different approach with the Triton, its like they've given up trying to compete with the Ranger, Hilux, Mazda & Colorado etc. & have built it as economically as possible & marketed it to sell on price alone. I should point out I am a Mitsubishi fan, I own a Pajero & have owned other Pajero's & Triton's in the past so I'm not trying to bash the brand.

No worries Chris. I'd agree that the MN had/has some issues. The engine is pretty ordinary and they are not particularly comfortable or well designed ergonomically. That said, I know a couple of blokes who have them and overall they've been quite happy with them.

The MQ is a different beast altogether. I'd agree regarding the front grill btw, but when you fit a bullbar that sorts that out. No idea what your seeing at the rear. It looks pretty similar to nearly every other ute on the market.
The engine and auto are very good. Plenty of power and torque, and the auto is a vast improvement on the MN version.
I don't really agree with your assessment of MM 'giving up' on competing with the other manufacturers in the ute market. The MQ is a good package, and not just for the price.
I have a mate who has a Ranger btw, and he's commented on how quiet and smooth the MQ is compared to his vehicle. You really aren't in a position to reasonably criticise the vehicle if you haven't driven one.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
As a previous Triton owner, I don't have a lot of positive feedback, but if that's all you're doing with it, it should be ok. The only thing to think about is how long you want to keep it for.
I bought mine as a keeper at a good price but moved it on 7 years early than planned & was blown away by the terrible resale price. Cheap cars are to be driven into the ground imo

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 12:29:54 AM »
I bought mine as a keeper at a good price but moved it on 7 years early than planned & was blown away by the terrible resale price. Cheap cars are to be driven into the ground imo

With the latest record March new sales figures you can calculate we're turning over our domestic fleet in around 11 years, so we all need to think of cars as 10 year throwaways now and when you're looking at the drive away price, factor that depreciation in accordingly. The market has woken up to rapid car technological change and the disproportional cost of any major mechanical repairs with aging vehicles. They're getting much like our white goods and electronics so the Triton may well be hitting the sweet spot in that regard. Certainly the tradeys and the cockies think $70/week in depreciation over 10 years is a good deal.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 06:09:46 AM »
I purchased mine through salary sacrifice with work.

After 5 years, they reckon it's only worth $11k. That's what the cost is to pay it out after 5 years.

Or I have the option to drive it back, the dealer takes it off me and the lease cycle starts again with another new vehicle.

This is my first lease, if it works out, I reckon this is how I will go now whilst I'm working.

When retired, I'll get something that will last long term of at least 10 years.

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
I purchased mine through salary sacrifice with work.

After 5 years, they reckon it's only worth $11k. That's what the cost is to pay it out after 5 years.

Or I have the option to drive it back, the dealer takes it off me and the lease cycle starts again with another new vehicle.

This is my first lease, if it works out, I reckon this is how I will go now whilst I'm working.

When retired, I'll get something that will last long term of at least 10 years.

I also do novated lease through work and swear by it if your looking to buy a new car and finance it, I'm now on my third lease and couldnt see buying a brand new car any other way without coming into some money.

Only word of warning i have for you is that when it comes to the end of the lease be careful about just handing it back to them, the lease company will send it to auction and you get what you get, if you owe $11k and it only sells for $6k at auction then you get lumped with a $5k bill.