Author Topic: Dual Cab Advice...which one.  (Read 12201 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Dual Cab Advice...which one.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Thanks all. Still looking at DMax, Triton and Ranger. With the DMax would the older one (pre 2011) still be as tough as everyone says

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Yep. Same engine, less tune. Good gearbox. The manual got more power than the auto and the cab chassis models had a stretched wheelbase so they carry weight excellently. You can include the 3.0 Colorado in the last model as well as they were all Isuzu. We had a few in the fleet and if we could go back in time we'd have bought them all. I have a px ranger 3.2 and we have a single amarok that a particular manager insisted on - buy a new one or leave them alone would be my advice - they need love and attention or they cost big coin. They don't call VW's Hitler's revenge for nothing, they are nice cars for the first few years though, like all vw, just don't buy a second hand one. The ford is built by ford - mine's been fine, others not so fine - say no more. The 3.0 ranger/bt 50 is turning into a long lived thing as well and you'll get a flash model in your budget. If you aren't a diesel snob a v6 hilux would be a sleeper at that money too.

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
I reckon you're better just narrowing down your choice to 2 or 3 vehicles that you like, that fit's in your budget.  Take each one for a test drive and pick out the one that you think drives the best and suits your needs.  Once you think you've narrowed it down to one vehicle, make sure there's a dealer of that brand close to your home so servicing (if you so choose) can be done simply and also giving you the availability to order OE parts if needed.  Then google the particular vehicle model to find out 'potential' issues with that vehicle.  Understand the common issues, and the fixes, work out what it will cost to address them when you first get hold of the car - if you think it will give you peace of mind.

At this point, if you're still keen on the vehicle, buy it.

I understand why people do it, but asking others for their personal opinion on a range of vehicles is always going to end with a myriad of opinions and responses.  I'm not sure in the end it really helps the decision making process, or actually makes it harder.

Good luck with whatever you choose.       
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:58:10 PM by rotare »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
I reckon you're better just narrowing down your choice to 2 or 3 vehicles that you like, that fit's in your budget.  Take each one for a test drive and pick out the one that you think drives the best and suits your needs.  Once you think you've narrowed it down to one vehicle, make sure there's a dealer of that brand close to your home so servicing (if you so choose) can be done simply and also giving you the availability to order OE parts if needed.  Then google the particular vehicle model to find out 'potential' issues with that vehicle.  Understand the common issues, and the fixes, work out what it will cost to address them when you first get hold of the car - if you think it will give you peace of mind.

great advice.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
I would seriously consider the BT-50 same engine as the ranger but better value for your dollar.

We recently purchased a 2017 BT-50 GT, checked out the Ranger Wildtrak but couldn't see where the 13k price difference in the quotes was going and I really wanted full leather seats (due to dogs) which the Wildtrak doesn't have. The Ford saleman's was also very average. Can't fault the Mazda service.
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline TuffBT50

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »
Second the BT50. My XTR is just under 2 years old with 85thou on her and little issues, cant say my foot is light either...

I preferred the Ranger as well, however the 11k price difference paid for the ARB fruit being bullbar, OME lift, snorkel, Acsent canopy, roof tray and Kaymar rear carrier. The not so appealing front end is fixed with a bullbar
Black 2015 BT50 with lots of gear
2017 Modcon FF1-III with mods to follow

Offline Dilligara

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
You might want to re-read what I said.

I didn't say, or even imply you were lying. I simply made the point that whilst you had a bad run with your particular vehicle, plenty of people have had a good run.
I would be one of them, had a great run out of the MN GLXR, only selling it and getting an MQ GLS because its my business car and there is no more depreciation left, well not much, so may as well get a new one as give the money to the tax man.  Absolutely would not be able to own something that didn't have full time 4WD, but that is just me. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:26:58 PM by Dilligara »
Andrew - Brisbane - MQ Triton  & Lifestyle Breakaway Ultra

Offline fluids

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
Thanks all. Still looking at DMax, Triton and Ranger. With the DMax would the older one (pre 2011) still be as tough as everyone says

I've got an 08/09 D-Max (the first model). Ticked over 90,000 this morning.

Other than regular servicing, done nothing to it. Nothing's needed attention, nada ! Still on original brakes & shocks (to be changed this service).

Does 8.5-9.0L/100km average. Better on a trip.

Same 3.0L engine as current. Little truck. Not a luxo dual cab toynisformazrok ....  ;D

0.02c

2015 KK Classic
2004 D2a Classic

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
Yeh liking the DMax..seen this one on carsales but not in the flesh: Check out this Isuzu D-MAX.
https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Isuzu-D-MAX-2011/OAG-AD-14496917

Not sure about the weird aftermarket decals in it...i always get suss that the dealer is hiding something on the body

Offline clae81

• Swag User
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »
If you want power - Ranger/ BT50, Reliability - Dmax, Build Quality - Hilux, Value for money - Triton.
As easy as that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 D4D Hilux
2015 KK Classic

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

I understand why people do it, but asking others for their personal opinion on a range of vehicles is always going to end with a myriad of opinions and responses.  I'm not sure in the end it really helps the decision making process, or actually makes it harder.

Good luck with whatever you choose.       

Agree.

When I purchased mid last year I had a bit smaller budget and ended up with a D40 Navara. For the money the hilux was too old/high kms and all the others were too small. I saw the horror stories about them, but made my decision with the stories in mind, also knowing there are heaps of them on the road meaning they aren't all duds. The two major problems seem to be poor clutch and timing chain. The clutch is not an issue if you get an auto (and its a wear part anyway) and AFAIK somewhere in the last couple of years they fixed the timing chain problem. Mine is a manual, but with lo wish kms and no towbar felt it was low risk. I'm still tossing up replacing the timing chain with a dual row one, and probably will if i start towing with it regularly.

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
Hey Merts you so you are calling me a liar and its not something I take lightly.

I ask the moderators to address this post.

I gave the OP my opinion about Tritons which is what the OP asked for, the OP didn't ask for your opinion of my views.
I have been a member on NewTriton for 8 years and there a plenty of horror stories like mine.

I see we have some delicate little petals posting these days.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
Pete79 points out about the Triton- "And the useless rear step makes the tow bar too low to the ground."
Just be aware MN Tritons have 2 different model towbars to account for the difference in fitting height with and without the rear step as the lad discovered when he was given the rear step from a mate getting a tray and no go without the other towbar.

As for the reliability of Triton motors they did have a batch of badly machined blocks/heads but the experience of one young bloke I know he took his Triton in for a normal warranty service with no probs and the Dealer told him Mitsi were putting in a new motor because it was on their list of cars in the problem run. You can't ask more than that and travelling from Bega to Adelaide recently it was very clear the country boys were big fans of Tritons and their bang for buck and bad news travels fast with workhorses. That's the trouble with the net and product review sites. We're happy with a product and we're not jumping on websites to tell everyone about it.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
Not up Qld way are you?
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mitsubishi-Triton-2015/SSE-AD-4650664/?Cr=1
Stick a Provent 200 kit from Western Filters and an electronic EGR delete from Chiptuning and forget the DPF dramas.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
Or NSW and auto- https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mitsubishi-Triton-2015/SSE-AD-4634249/?Cr=102
When I was looking around at low km 2015 MN Tritons first (before spotting a great deal on a Challenger in Ballarat) I didn't restrict myself to my backyard but was prepared to ship a good deal via the online car movers (was looking at one advertised in Cairns that would cost $850 to ship to Adelaide). You're talking cars still under formal warranty and you can always ring the local Dealer for the lowdown on it or even cold call a local mech shop to pay them to look it over for any hidden traps. You just have to think outside your own backyard and remember isolated sellers have problems with broad buyer access and the extra hassle for you can swing a good deal overall.

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
As an owner of an Old shape 2011 Dmax 120000ks , I wouldn't take as gospel their bulletproof reliability. Sure the engine seems good but it's the rest of it I worry about. Build quality seems lacking and there are a lot of squeaks, rattles and clunks where there shouldn't be. Plastic and weak interior falling apart,  electric problems ie windows, and consumables like brakes, shockies and springs, belts etc seems to be a bit weak.
Off-road I am constantly worrying if it is going to break, it just doesn't feel strong when giving it some and have to really it give it to it to go anywhere. My Other 4wd is a GU patrol and its solid and goes everywhere with  ease its probably not fair to compare the 2 side by side off-road.
When time comes for another dual cab I will be looking at others.
It is good on fuel and as a daily runabout it's good enough.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
I dont want to offend the Triton owners.
BUT
I sold mine as soon as it was out of warranty.
Worst car I have ever owned

I agree, I had an MN Triton, easily the worst, gutless, most uncomfortable car I have ever owned. There was a reason why Mitsubishi were almost giving them away. Buy a Ranger, a mate has one (XLS) & its awesome.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:19:53 AM by Chris. »

Offline MrNoodle

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I had an MN Triton and towed a 1 ton trade trailer daily, motorbike trailer on weekends and call trailer the other times. It wasn't 4wd though but did everything pretty well. I hated the engine though, that dead spot off of idle or when putting the foot down was dangerous but you learned to drive around it most of the time. I was past 110,000 km when she caught fire and went to the wreckers in the sky. Had to have the loom replaced under warranty and a few little things.
Now have a 2015 Dmax 4wd from new. Hands down heaps better car. Not finished as nice as my mitsy but the mitsy was to of the range and Dmax just the SX. I'm towing an Expanda now and it does it well but the average fuel used goes from 8's to around 14 litres/100 km. The only recurring problem on dmax forums is the new shape doing cv's. I don't do serious 4wding so I hope to be all right. About 12 grand cheaper than the ranger too

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline GreyGhost

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
hi

like most said get dmax i bought 2012 new  put 100,00 km on it never put spanner on it apart servicing

great 4wd give hilux run for money strong motor easy get parts  8) 8)

Offline GreyGhost

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
happy easter

whats this site come too  if you don't like what some one has said , send them private email 

don't go running mods like little kid grow up  i been member on here long time , most people on here for fun and friendly advice

its good site lets not reck it sling off at each other  8)

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
Hi All. Quick update. No purchase yet but have my eye on a nice DMax...2009 LSU with 84k. Can get for possibly 20k. I do find the Ranger drives MUCH better though...but I am looking at another 5 or so k for a decent Ranger. Is the Ranger that much more refined than the DMax? Seemed to be to me

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Having driven all the utes mentioned at work,  except the new Hilux, I find the Ranger is the most refined and car like to drive.  Reliability seems about the same across the board.   I cannot say anything about long term reliability or living with them long term, as we flip them every 3 years.

Looking in the private car park at work, the Ranger is by far the most popular ute.
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
Thanks all. I saw a cracker of a Ranger yesterday so put a deposit on her. Should pick her up Wednesday

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
tell us about the ranger? im a member of newranger.net so can certainly point u in the direction of must dos and look fors. dont forget the annual ranger meetup is on may 5-7 2017 at horseshoe bend victoria. cheers

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Thanks all. I saw a cracker of a Ranger yesterday so put a deposit on her. Should pick her up Wednesday

Congratulations!
I've been following this with interest, not that I'm in the market for a vehicle but a friend of mine purchased a Dmax 18 months ago & I was looking for issues she should be aware of as she does a lot of camper trailering around Oz.
I do wonder if these dual cab motors  will still be spinning around with high k's on them.
My '97 2.5 litre tdi Disco1 has 420,000+ klm & my '93 'cruiser 1hz 300,000+ & both original (1hz has after market turbo)
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
It's a 2010 XLT. White, 109k. ARB bullbar, ARB canopy, Snorkel, Roof Console. Very tidy condition throughout. More kms than I was initially hoping for but easily the best I'd seen in my budget.