Author Topic: Dual Cab Advice...which one.  (Read 12203 times)

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
Dual Cab Advice...which one.
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Hey All. Wanting to get a 4wd again...had two patrols in the past and now have the need for a dual cab (wifes business) and also for towing the offroad camper amd soft 4wding.

Considering all the options although my mechanic has put me off the 2.5 Navaras (common issues).

Ranger, Triton, DMax etc...Leaning towards Triton now...wanted a Ranger but hard to find a nice one with good ks in price range.

Would like to keep it to under or around 25k...less than 100000kms. Prefer models like the GLXR..XLT etc

Any advice

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
Re: Dual Cab Advice...which one.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
increase your budget if possible and aim for an xls ranger. The other brands you mentioned dont compare to the ranger!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:40:48 PM by lincolnland »

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
So would have to move up to a PX...dont really want to increase budget an extra 10k..

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
$25k and 100k kms suggests Triton or D40.  Base model Dmax or Colorado might fit.

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
I have a mn triton and has never let me down at 230000ks and still going strong, before this I had a GU patrol and done a lot 4wding in it and was surprised how the triton holds up compare to it in the bush, also found that at the time had the most room in the back seat for a dual cab,

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
I am biased, but VW Amarok would fit the bill
Also has largest interior / best rear seating of all mentioned
Largest tray space, only style side you can fit a full size pallet
Don't let the engine size / KWs  put you off. It gets power to the ground way better than most
Test drive one you will be surprised
The do required a heavier foot to deliver all the power, only diesel I know of the redlined 6-6500 rpm
You can pick up a 2012-3 with around 100,000 Kim's for around $20-25,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
Don't let the engine size / KWs  put you off. It gets power to the ground way better than most
The do required a heavier foot to deliver all the power, only diesel I know of the redlined 6-6500 rpm

Yeah they are a nice car to all wheel drive to? My mate had one for a while and loved it, he reckon for everyday driving it was the best ute he had (buys a new ute every 6 months) but when it came to towing he has a big boat and found the ranger/BT 50 just had that bit more grunt for going up hills where the amrock was working a bit harder,

Offline NerdyAUS

• Sleeping Bag User
  • The empire did nothing wrong.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »
I have a Triton GLXR (MN), and she goes great. Practically floats on the soft stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2015 Mitsubishi Triton GLX-R
2008 Lifestyle Explorer 360I Camper Trailer

Offline Dilligara

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
Triton (mid or high spec) or Amarok, the only two with full time four wheel drive which is a god send when towing in adverse conditions, and indeed on many other occasions.  Also amongst the cheapest. 
Andrew - Brisbane - MQ Triton  & Lifestyle Breakaway Ultra

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
I dont want to offend the Triton owners.
BUT
I sold mine as soon as it was out of warranty.
Worst car I have ever owned and that expensive for servicing even my accountant passed comment on it.
The cost of warranty repairs was nearly $25k on a car that was 6 years old with 185000ks on it.
Minimal off road, minimal towing, fully serviced and one owner.
MINE WAS A 2010 MN GLXR 2.5 TD manual.
These engines have inherent problem with the blocks and head gaskets letting go amongst a large list of other problems.
Apparently the new model the MQ isnt much more reliable.
Just my experience and a fair few others.
I would take the Triton off your shopping list.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

{IMG}{IMG}

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
I dont want to offend the Triton owners.
BUT
I sold mine as soon as it was out of warranty.
Worst car I have ever owned and that expensive for servicing even my accountant passed comment on it.
The cost of warranty repairs was nearly $25k on a car that was 6 years old with 185000ks on it.
Minimal off road, minimal towing, fully serviced and one owner.
MINE WAS A 2010 MN GLXR 2.5 TD manual.
These engines have inherent problem with the blocks and head gaskets letting go amongst a large list of other problems.
Apparently the new model the MQ isnt much more reliable.
Just my experience and a fair few others.
I would take the Triton off your shopping list.

How do warranty repairs cost the owner, warranty repairs are typically undertaken by the manufacturer at nil cost to the owner during warranty period.

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »

I also own an Amarok and think they are pretty good ... but I don't think you can get an auto dual-cab 4x4 amarok with less than 100k kms for under $25k.  Can't see any on carsales.
Maybe a manual but in my opinion the auto in the amarok is one of the real drawcards.

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 09:33:04 PM »
I didnt say the warranty repairs were a cost to me.
I would hate for someone to buy one second hand Triton and be up for that sort of expense.

So back to the OP question, I would not go near a Triton they are a heap of 5h!t.

But to your comment about it not costing the owner for warranty repairs.
Have you ever had a vehicle that you use for business off the road for 4 months ???
 Put a price on that !!!

{IMG}{IMG}

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »
I also own an Amarok and think they are pretty good ... but I don't think you can get an auto dual-cab 4x4 amarok with less than 100k kms for under $25k.  Can't see any on carsales.
Maybe a manual but in my opinion the auto in the amarok is one of the real drawcards.
I'm a die hard manual fan because of the low range in 6 speed manual over the 8 speed auto without
But saying that if he can boost the $25k by 13k
VW are doing brand new for $38k and last email they sent me said free auto with unlimited Kona warranty

Offline Mattsglxr

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »
I've got a 2012 MN GLXR Triton and just clocked over 100000k and appart from a gearbox syncro which was fixed under warranty promptly by Mitsubishi it has been a great 4wd and tow vehicle towing my 17ft expanda and also my 17ft starcraft.

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »
I'd eat 2 minute noodles for a couple months and keep saving a bit more.

As the owner of a 2.5TD auto rated to tow 3t, I wouldn't touch anything under 3 litres.

I would look at the 3L D-Max (my preferred) or the 3.2 Ranger.

There was a reason Toyota and Nissan had there long stroke six cylinder engines.

You just can't beat cubes for towing.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 06:12:43 AM »
The 3.0 dmax is going to live the longest. It would be my pick of any of them at that price and you'll buy a lot more car than a Toyota second hand. The rest are not what I would look at second hand.

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
Dmax have a great rep. Mate of mine just bought a second hand one, hes thinks its a good unit.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
I'd take Ronnie's negative comments regarding the Triton with a grain of salt, or two.

Whilst he's obviously had a bad run with his MN, there are plenty of people who have had very good experiences. One of my business partners has one, and it has had a couple of minor issues, but has generally been reliable. A mate also has one, and he has had no problems at all. They aren't unusually expensive to service (my accountant actually drives one btw).

As for the off the cuff assertion that "Apparently the new model the MQ isnt much more reliable.'', that is just nonsense. I'm on the 'newtriton' forum, and the MQ has been shown to be extremely reliable. It's also worth noting it is a completely different vehicle compared to the MN. Engine and transmission are different for starters.

What I would suggest, if you can stretch a few grand over the $25k you might get into an MQ, which would be a much better vehicle than the MN.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Jasjul

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
As said above, you can get a lemon with any vehicle.  I've got a BT50 with just over 130,000kms and it's been great.  I know of other horror stories with BT50's, not common.

A couple of guys I know also have Tritons and love them, with no issues.  If you can stretch the budget, you can get something like this
https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Mitsubishi-Triton-2016/OAG-AD-14124212/?Cr=2

If you can find an MQ Triton, the low range ratio is much better than MN.

DMax also pretty bulletproof.

Whatever, I would try and stretch to something with a bit of warranty left.
Jason

Mazda BT50 and Outback Campers Tanami

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
My current work ute is a 2014 MN triton GLXR Warrior.
At the time of purchase nothing came close to the Triton for value for money; Auto box, rear locker, leather interior, electric drivers seat, kickass stereo, sat nav, alloys, etc.
As far as utes go the Triton is pretty comfy. It's mostly just highway stuff for me, but some of my work runs are up to 4,000km round trips - cruise control on, seat tweaked to just the right position and stereo pumping flat out, makes it pretty easy eat up the K's.

But and this is a big but for me, I HATE the Triton's rear end.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much overhang. And the useless rear step makes the tow bar too low to the ground.
For a highway cruiser they're fine, but anything harder then a gravel road sees the Triton dragging its arse around like a dog with worms.

No mechanical issues so far with my Trion, though the fuel economy is much worse then I was expecting.
It could be the auto box or just the modern environmental stuff, but with 1 person an empty tray and cruise control on, I still struggle to get under 14L/100km.

I previously had a manual 2007 Hilux Dualcab for 4 years and loved it.
On the same work run I consistently got over 700km to 65L (~9L/100km) out of the Hilux.
No fancy features in the Hilux though, vinyl all round and a really, really crappy stereo. But at least it was easy to blast the sand and dog hair out of it.....  ;D

Offline AndrewT

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
Thanks all. Still looking at DMax, Triton and Ranger. With the DMax would the older one (pre 2011) still be as tough as everyone says

The following users thanked this post: 1stlux

Offline RonnieQ

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Hey Merts you so you are calling me a liar and its not something I take lightly.

I ask the moderators to address this post.

I gave the OP my opinion about Tritons which is what the OP asked for, the OP didn't ask for your opinion of my views.
I have been a member on NewTriton for 8 years and there a plenty of horror stories like mine.

{IMG}{IMG}

Offline Jasjul

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
Older DMax is still pretty reliable, smaller cabin and less ground clearance/wheel travel for offroad work, if that matters.
Jason

Mazda BT50 and Outback Campers Tanami

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Hey Merts you so you are calling me a liar and its not something I take lightly.

I ask the moderators to address this post.

I gave the OP my opinion about Tritons which is what the OP asked for, the OP didn't ask for your opinion of my views.
I have been a member on NewTriton for 8 years and there a plenty of horror stories like mine.

You might want to re-read what I said.

I didn't say, or even imply you were lying. I simply made the point that whilst you had a bad run with your particular vehicle, plenty of people have had a good run.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)
The following users thanked this post: discoteddy