Author Topic: Keeping your CT tent dry underneath  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
Keeping your CT tent dry underneath
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
So we're off for a week soon but the east coast is WET. We're wondering what we can do to attempt to keep the underside of the floor of the CT tent dry. We usually put an old tarp down which helps, but I fear it will be squishy underfoot and not even a tarp will work (this time). We do have some camping mats we can use as well as the tarp and this is looking like the most likely route.

I don't think water will come through as such (floor is in excellent condition), but it would be nice to keep it as dry (underneath) as possible.

What do others do to try to keep the floor of your CT tent from getting too wet?
Trackabout owner.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Keeping your CT tent dry underneath
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
2x workshop mats from Autobarn (they were the closest in size and cheapest at the time) go under ours, but we do have a PVC bathtub floor.

They also provide a bit of extra protection from sharp things, and are nice to step down onto barefoot as they are quite warm... as a local brown snake proved one day by setting up camp under there as well...

Offline Railey

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
Something like these that can be bought at the big green shed or other rubber places:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
if its that wet, there isn't much you can do.. even the square mats the water will get through.

just leave the base part out for 20 mins when packing up to dry
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
Something like these that can be bought at the big green shed or other rubber places:
Yep - those are what we have. Might just buy a couple more packs  :cup:
Trackabout owner.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
It's just one of the reasons some people progress to a hard floor.....or hybrid/van.......money permitting !!

Park the wheels on blocks and take some plastic pallets !! Then you have one of the benefits of a hard floor... :cup:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
Regardless of the weather I think its always a good practise to let it dry in the son when you are packing up. Some friends of our thought there softfloor was dry until they opened it the next time and it was covered in mould. Now pack up and leave the cover off with the bottom sunbaking till they are ready to leave and have never again had that problem.
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
If you could  " FIND "  a supply of  Bread crates [ aprox 900 mm X 900 mm ea  ] or dog kennel matting .. The bread crate way you can adjust the  height with a grinder the amount you want the flooring off the ground .. think the doogy matting is about 25 mm .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Onion

• Tent User
    • Open-AudIT
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
The Mrs just picked up three 6packs of camping mats from Aldi. I think she paid $9.99ea. Two packs don't have holes, so they're going underneath (along with a few others). Bargain.
Trackabout owner.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
It's just one of the reasons some people progress to a hard floor.....or hybrid/van.......money permitting !!

Park the wheels on blocks and take some plastic pallets !! Then you have one of the benefits of a hard floor... :cup:

That's actually a great idea :cup: with the new wheels my tent's drop is a little bit short so this would help that, just need some rope extension loops on the peg loops, get some lightweight stackable pallets like in the pic and you could easily just throw them on top of the travel cover for transport, it wouldn't add much, if any more time than checking for sticks and rocks laying out a mat and then still having to still wipe the floor after, would be one of the few ways of successfully keeping the floor out of the mud.

I will keep an eye out on gumtree as these are sometimes offloaded for free as well, another Mod to add to the list.