Author Topic: Adventure Kings roof top tents  (Read 9273 times)

Offline bkim

• Tent User
Adventure Kings roof top tents
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:59 AM »
Hi,

Interested to see if anyone on the forum has any knowledge of this company and their products
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/rooftop-tents/adventure-kings-roof-top-tent-with-annex.html

My nephew has just ordered 2 awnings for his GU Patrol from them and is now talking about possibly getting a roof top tent from them. I've had a look at their website and the products and specifications look quite reasonable (always do when you can't see them in the flesh!), the prices do seem to be very cheap compared to Ironman, TJM etc, even allowing for additional possible freight costs

For what they cost, I think he can take the risk on the awnings, but as they don't have any dealers north of Brisbane, everything will have to be shipped to my address in Townsville for him to collect and it would be good to hear any feedback on their roof top tents before he commits himself to ordering one plus freight costs.

I have certainly seen plenty of their awnings on the 4WD's running around town, but haven't been able to ask people's opinion of the quality of the product.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:55:03 AM by bkim »

Offline JungleJohn

• Swag User
  • Beware the barrenness of a busy life.
Re: Adventure Kings roof top tents
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:09:41 AM »
bkim,

I have one and it works great for me and the family. Easy to set up and pack up. Keep me dry during big storms out camping twice. For the price it is a great product. I don't always use it as I also have a camping trailer. I also have a couple of their awnings, again great product. I bought these awnings as an expensive one I bought of one of the "Reputable" suppliers started coming apart.   :cheers:
100 Series Sahara, all the ARB gear.
Supreme 1660 Territory Executive Caravan

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
I use quite a few of their products (not the RTT) and I have had no issues.

I love their awnings. I have had several awnings in my time and this one is far superior to any of the others. And for less than $100!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Greeny

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
I've got more than may fair share of supacentre's products (it's hard to go past the price) but as with anything cheaper have a reasonable expectation about the quality.

I have one of their awnings on my GU which was broken on a windy day, had it pegged down, wind go under it and snapped the prong on the extension arm and ripped the bolts from the channel on the fixed part of the awning. It's repairable and supacentre say they sell replacement parts but I haven't checked it out yet.

For comparison I had an oztrail awning previously and it seems to be better quality, heavier gauge aluminium and thicker canvas and it never broke during a windy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline matthecat

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
I've only had experience with their awnings.
First time I set it up wind twisted it and like the above poster the spigot snapped off. Drilled the plastic out went to BCF and spent $1 on a new spigot. Had to file it down a bit but now good as gold and with super long sand pegs now solid as.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
I've got a Kings RTT mounted on my trailer, this is an alternate for us as we have a caravan but use the trailer for beach camping. I'm more than happy with the quality for the dollars paid. I would say there is not too much difference with Kings product and some of the dearer RTT's. Sometimes a few more dollars don't equate to obvious differences however, pay lots more and you probably will get a better product ( think something like a Hanibal brand maybe)

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Took mine to the cape and back, no issues
2012 D40 Navara St and a MDC Tbox V3

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
How do they standup in windy conditions? I had an Ironman rtt and I was hesitated in windy conditions.
These King rtt is halve what I paid for my Ironman back in 2011! I've sold it and I am missing the rtt camping approach. May have to get one of these Kings.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
I have a kings RTT. Very happy with it.  Had a f air bit of wind in the high country over the weekend and wasn't worried a bit. 

Cheers

JB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NW Pajero - 'Kat'  The Canopy Camper

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
A mate purchased one 6 months ago................I laughed.

Went camping and compared my ARB RTT to the Kings  :o

King's RTT was a lot better than my ARB. Darker inside, Sturdier build, Kings canvas feels thicker, and the window awnings down flap around in the wind like ARB ones do.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »
I have one of their awnings and a mate had the ARB. Both failed for the same reason, torential downpour and although we both angled them not enough. The awnings filled up and the side rail bent, before the spigot on mine failed. I was able to straighten mine mostly and use a tent peg for a spigot

His spigot survived, instead the pole snapped and took a lot more bush mechical slills to keep it working.
Other than that there wasn't any great difference except price.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:44:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, I've had had a bit off a look around on the net, have to say I haven't seen many adverse comments and they seem to relate more to people having problems working out the advertised pricing more than the reliability and performance of the RTT.

I think the nephew is going to go ahead and order one, so I will see for myself how it goes and provide some feedback in the future.

Bob

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »
problem with the kings/ironman etc RTTs are the covers. Most are NOT UV stable and are too light in construction.

I've seen almost all fail to a point where the material is literally disintegrating.

Quality of the RTT has improved, but where they still fail is in the support frame mechanism. Have a good look at the internal hinges/frame and connection to the main base board on a decent brand Howling moon/Darche etc then look at the cheapies...........................
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Adventure Kings roof top tents
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
Hey all. I just discovered a weakness in the RTT last night.     We were camped up near the Big River between Mansfield and Eildon.

It pissed down all night. 

The part of the tent that extends out over the door ended up with a massive pool of water on the roof. 

In the middle of the night there was a big crack and a splash.

The bow snapped in half.

I think the roof over the entrance is too flat, and pools the water too easily.

Unless I'm doing it wrong!?!

Cheers

JB

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
Hey all. I just discovered a weakness in the RTT last night.     We were camped up near the Big River between Mansfield and Eildon.

The part of the tent that extends out over the door ended up with a massive pool of water on the roof. 

The bow snapped in half.

Cheers

JB

1st, I can see in you set up are the guy ropes are not vertical. They should be vertical (to hold the "annexe" down).
2nd, there appears to be a kink adjacent to the window. the storm (tropical) cover should be flat from the ridge to the end. In my pic, you can see the canvas bulging out the side as I didn't have the tent tight before adjusting the cover.
3rd set your storm (tropical) cover about an inch above the tent.

If water still pools, where the central tag is on the "annexe", I add a third guy rope (not necessary for it to be vertical). This holds the cover taut.

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
Just a heads up for anyone who has one of the Kings awnings. Like most (all?) of these types of awnings, the main two aluminium sections (the backing plate which attaches to the brackets, and the channels which hold the spreader poles) are held together with aluminium rivets. These rivets appear to be pretty soft, and they are prone to shearing off after a while if you are driving rough tracks and/or corrugated roads.

It's a real good idea to drill them out and replace them with small bolts with nylock nuts before they fail, (rather than after it falls off your vehicle).
Apart from that, I've found the one I have to be quite well made and fit for purpose.

(PS. Mine didn't actually fall off, but after a high country trip nearly half the rivets had sheared off. I have heard of a couple of people who did have the whole awning part company with the vehicle.)
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
1st, I can see in you set up are the guy ropes are not vertical. They should be vertical (to hold the "annexe" down).
2nd, there appears to be a kink adjacent to the window. the storm (tropical) cover should be flat from the ridge to the end. In my pic, you can see the canvas bulging out the side as I didn't have the tent tight before adjusting the cover.
3rd set your storm (tropical) cover about an inch above the tent.

If water still pools, where the central tag is on the "annexe", I add a third guy rope (not necessary for it to be vertical). This holds the cover taut.
Thanks Doc,  I see what you mean.  I didn't think this would matter.

I'll have a fiddle the next time I get my camper out to see if I can get the fly as tight as possible. 

Cheers

JB

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
We've travelled with people who had their awnings... and we decided we'll happily keep our 10+ year old one. ;)

The thing that we didn't like is that they don't roll up as compact - the legs had to fold up side by side instead of in a straight line (our awning's legs are small enough to just be in line), so that part was a lot thicker, had a bit more weight to it and was trickier to roll up than our awning.

Yeah OK that's nit picking, and it seems there's a lot bigger issues to consider with them! ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
I'm waiting for them to be on sale.
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
I'm waiting for them to be on sale.
You'll be waiting awhile DB, they don't come on sale that often

Cheers

JB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
Couple of combo deals for rooftop tents + generator or awning.
Anyway, on paper the Kings does not look to bad.
Thicker mattress and canvas than the Darche and at halve the price.

Am consider buying one in two weeks time, just before I move down to Brisbane.
Cost be less than to sleep in motels from Melbourne to Brisbane!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »

The bow snapped in half.

Cheers

JB

I had a similar issue, but no breakage.
I think the guy ropes should closer to the vertical, pulling the tent down, rather than out.
Another fix I saw, but haven't done myself yet, is to get a spreader bar. Clip it onto the bow that holds the roof over the ladder and the bow above the doorway. It will reduce the amount of water that can pool, if you don't it becomes a vicious circle.

If you could get something with a cam lock it would be better. Also if you could get something that is too long, then you would only need adjustment in the foot at the end and it would allow for a bend in the middle that will bow up and again make the water shed better again.
That's my plan anyway.

https://www.polesapartdirect.com/products/c-clip-aluminium-tent-pole

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
Special today at 4wd superstore for the rtt
Landcruiser 76 tourer