Author Topic: AFL Season 2017  (Read 99029 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: AFL Season 2017
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT
Diver Thomas did LMAO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2017, 07:19:23 PM »
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

3rd time lucky

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
First time ever to the Adelaide Oval. Long way to travel from home to watch red and black disaster, but watching a top 2 team play supremely under perfect conditions is a rare treat. Crows were simply sensational. Ridiculous as it sounds, the score line flatters the Bombers and they played really well. Would have matched probably 15 of the other 16 teams yet were powerless against a truly awesome side in A1 form....and no I am NOT a crows convert 😂

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »
3rd man up rule = biggest BIGGEST ****up in the history of any sport.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

3rd time lucky

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
3rd man up rule = biggest BIGGEST ****up in the history of any sport.
Agree x infinity

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
Did we not hear the siren to start the game?

Spoon is ours. Priority picks.. a new coach
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
Did we not hear the siren to start the game?

Spoon is ours. Priority picks.. a new coach
Lmao the Blues still haven't recovered from the Salary cap scandal days  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2017, 10:50:37 PM »
Lmao the Blues still haven't recovered from the Salary cap scandal days  :cheers:
I think it was solely down to Operation Malthouse.. where he was sent in to destroy the club.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
In Bolton's defence, he had something like 7 teenagers playing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
Quote from: kylarama
In Bolton's defence, he had something like 7 teenagers playing.
that was the most insipid game in 20 years from any club.
not even going close to scoring in the 3rd?
over 70 inside 50's difference?

if that's anything close to our worst, let alone best , we wont win another game this year.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

3rd time lucky

« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2017, 03:00:36 AM »
Bird, it could be far worse - you could be a Lions supporter. How do you lose a game after being up by 50pts? Ispose u could argue that at least they got 50 ahead....aah its redefining the term "choking".

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
Bird, it could be far worse - you could be a Lions supporter. How do you lose a game after being up by 50pts? Ispose u could argue that at least they got 50 ahead....aah its redefining the term "choking".

That's a bit harsh. Brisbane played OK. They'll win a few this year. Bevo woke the Dogs up at half time....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

3rd time lucky

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
That's a bit harsh. Brisbane played OK. They'll win a few this year. Bevo woke the Dogs up at half time....
Harsh but fair, in my book at least. As the Bris coach said after the Bombers game honourable losses are no longer acceptable.

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
I've tried so often to get into the AFL, tried watching what are deemed 'must watch' games etc. I just don't get it, there doesn't seem to be another sport on Earth that is so unsettled... if it isn't racism its drugs & 'sports science' issues, or the constant annual rule changes, issues with 'flooding', alledged poor umpiring, managers of football clubs also running the media (conflict of interest much?), attempts at taking the sport international (like that's going to work), non-Victorian teams playing interstate every second weekend as opposed to the likes of Collingwood/Carlton/Hawthorn etc. who play at the MCG most weeks (& they say its a national competition LOL), many teams in severe financial hardship due to unfair broadcast rights... the list goes on. I love sport, love watching all forms of cricket, the EPL, occasional games of Rugby League, a bit of tennis & golf here & there.... the AFL just seems to be a forever screw up yet its fans just seem to accept the constant failures & unfairness/inequality of the competition?

3rd time lucky

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I've tried so often to get into the AFL, tried watching what are deemed 'must watch' games etc. I just don't get it, there doesn't seem to be another sport on Earth that is so unsettled... if it isn't racism its drugs & 'sports science' issues, or the constant annual rule changes, issues with 'flooding', alledged poor umpiring, managers of football clubs also running the media (conflict of interest much?), attempts at taking the sport international (like that's going to work), non-Victorian teams playing interstate every second weekend as opposed to the likes of Collingwood/Carlton/Hawthorn etc. who play at the MCG most weeks (& they say its a national competition LOL), many teams in severe financial hardship due to unfair broadcast rights... the list goes on. I love sport, love watching all forms of cricket, the EPL, occasional games of Rugby League, a bit of tennis & golf here & there.... the AFL just seems to be a forever screw up yet its fans just seem to accept the constant failures & unfairness/inequality of the competition?
And the NRL doesn't have most of these issues?  From where I sit it's more a case that you are in an AFL state.  Try NSW or QLD - trust me, the rugby league comp has just as many woes,. At least AFL fans actually attend their games, NRL is still played in suburban grounds in front of 5-10k on a Friday nite. What a joke.
Nope, Aussie Rules still reigns supreme in Australia. And this IS an AFL thread after all...lol

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
And the NRL doesn't have most of these issues?  From where I sit it's more a case that you are in an AFL state.  Try NSW or QLD - trust me, the rugby league comp has just as many woes,. At least AFL fans actually attend their games, NRL is still played in suburban grounds in front of 5-10k on a Friday nite. What a joke.
Nope, Aussie Rules still reigns supreme in Australia.

I imagine the NRL has similar issues, as you rightly said, living in Adelaide I just don't hear about them, it's all AFL in the news here. The AFL markets itself as a national comp having teams from most states, from a non-Victorian perspective it seems pretty hypocritical that the bias is steeped so in favour towards the teams that play in Victoria. Take the EPL (or any other sporting codes) for example, every team plays every other team home & away, its a very level playing field. Would that not be the way to run a national competition? How often do Collingwood travel interstate this year? How can a president of a club (Maguire & Brayshaw) also have such a prominent media profile? Would it not be prudent to not have an ever-evolving/ever-changing rule book? Then there's the drug issues in the sport, from the WC Eagles a decade ago through to all the Essendon saga recently with individual cases in between... pretty amateur stuff poorly handled by the AFL administration, no?

And this IS an AFL thread after all...lol

I'm talking AFL here :)

3rd time lucky

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »
I imagine the NRL has similar issues, as you rightly said, living in Adelaide I just don't hear about them, it's all AFL in the news here. The AFL markets itself as a national comp having teams from most states, from a non-Victorian perspective it seems pretty hypocritical that the bias is steeped so in favour towards the teams that play in Victoria. Take the EPL (or any other sporting codes) for example, every team plays every other team home & away, its a very level playing field. Would that not be the way to run a national competition? How often do Collingwood travel interstate this year? How can a president of a club (Maguire & Brayshaw) also have such a prominent media profile? Would it not be prudent to not have an ever-evolving/ever-changing rule book? Then there's the drug issues in the sport, from the WC Eagles a decade ago through to all the Essendon saga recently with individual cases in between... pretty amateur stuff poorly handled by the AFL administration, no?

I'm talking AFL here :)
Yes, and you compared it to other sports as if to say it was worse in some way. At least that's how I interpreted your post. Was merely saying that, IMO only, I don't think it's any worse (or better lol) than any other high profile sport covered by media these days.
All of your other points are mirrored in the NRL. There have been salary cap breaches, drug issues, rape cases and assault etc...and yes the inequality in terms of travel etc exists - its eastern states only, though the only thing NRL does NOT proclaim to be, and I grant you that you are correct in this assessment, is that it is a national comp.  Melbourne are the only team outside of NSW/QLD since the failed Super League experiment.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:51:27 AM by 3rd time lucky »

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
Yes, and you compared it to other sports as if to say it was worse in some way. At least that's how I interpreted your post. Was merely saying that, IMO only, I don't think it's any worse (or better lol) than any other high profile sport covered by media these days.

Yeah that's my point mate, the reason why I just don't get the AFL is for all the reasons I explained that do make it different to most other high profile sports (exclude NRL here)... the ever changing rules, the fact that there is no equality in the scheduling, the fact that presidents have such a profile in the media, the way the drugs & rape cases are handled... all so very wrong... there's probably more in the list but its Sunday morning & I had a big night last night :D

Compare the AFL to the EPL (which is where it seems the AFL coaches go to try & improve themselves/their clubs), the EPL is very consistent & run professionally when compared to the AFL, there are no ongoing rule changes every single year where they try to improve something, only to change it again as they screwed up & there is equality in the scheduling of the games. You don't find Sir Alex Ferguson managing Man Utd whilst also appearing on Fox to commentate on an Arsenal vs Man City game.

3rd time lucky

« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
No argument, you make well considered and vaild observations. In AFL's defence, I reckon that off field dramas aside its a far superior product to 20 or 30 years ago - the majority of the rule changes (abominable 3rd man up ruck rule excluded) have been.very good. I dont like Eddie (no devoted Qlder does) but Brayshaw no longer reigns at North. Inequality in match schedule - yes its rough, and tough, but teams know it and could always say "no x deal, we're out". Imagine the outrage at AFL headqtrs (and Ch 7/Foxtel)...lol
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:14:22 AM by 3rd time lucky »

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
That's true, it has evolved in the past 20 odd years. Regarding Maguire, I read somewhere recently where his Millionaire show has run its course, apparently people are finally getting tired of him. There is a god!!

3rd time lucky

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »
... Regarding Maguire, I read somewhere recently where his Millionaire show has run its course, apparently people are finally getting tired of him. There is a god!!
Amen

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
.... from a non-Victorian perspective it seems pretty hypocritical that the bias is steeped so in favour towards the teams that play in Victoria......

Chris, I'm sure the Vic clubs would argue otherwise. The generous conditions awarded to non-Vic clubs is a constant sticking point. In any event, 10 of the 18 AFL teams are based in Victoria.....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
Chris, I'm sure the Vic clubs would argue otherwise. The generous conditions awarded to non-Vic clubs is a constant sticking point. In any event, 10 of the 18 AFL teams are based in Victoria.....

And therein lies the problem Geoff, until the "Victoria vs the rest of the country" issue is gone (& it never will be so my point is mute LOL) it'll never be an equal, truly 'National' competition, will it? The way things stand this year, putting aside all the financial assistance/bonuses interstate teams (why are they even called that when its a national comp?) have been given previously, there are 18 teams playing in the AFL & only the 'interstate' teams travel every second week or thereabouts. Hardly a 'National' competition is it? Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton, & probably the others too, only travel outside of Victoria 5 times this year, yet there are 8 interstate (there's that word again) teams, why don't they travel 8 times a year, playing less games in Victoria (that last question is rhetorical by the way, we both know why)?

3rd time lucky

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
And therein lies the problem Geoff, until the "Victoria vs the rest of the country" issue is gone (& it never will be so my point is mute LOL) it'll never be an equal, truly 'National' competition, will it? The way things stand this year, putting aside all the financial assistance/bonuses interstate teams (why are they even called that when its a national comp?) have been given previously, there are 18 teams playing in the AFL & only the 'interstate' teams travel every second week or thereabouts. Hardly a 'National' competition is it? Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton, & probably the others too, only travel outside of Victoria 5 times this year, yet there are 8 interstate (there's that word again) teams, why don't they travel 8 times a year, playing less games in Victoria (that last question is rhetorical by the way, we both know why)?
Lol. Rhetorical issues aside, there is nothing to discuss here.  Ask any of the "interstate" sides if they would rather not exist.......It's the greatest ball code in the country, and lets all agree on that.  Everything in life could always be better, but it also could be a hell of a lot worse.  Love the sport and enjoy it, or ignore it.  Finding fault with it achieves little, unless you wish to share a grievance over a particular aspect.  But belittling the sport altogether does not add to the forum, or life in general.  Don't like it?  Then don't watch, and don't read forum discussion topics on the matter.  We are here to discuss the merits of this game and the individual clubs, not whether it should even exist.
Case closed.
Bring on ANZAC day  :cheers:
Nigel

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »
Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast have all won multiple flags.
Several Vic based clubs have not got close to 1 since the introduction of the "National Comp".
Where is the bias??

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon