Author Topic: Travelander  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Future Grey nomad

• Learning the Ropes
Travelander
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:10:32 AM »
G'day just joined up and hoping to find info from any one that may no some thing about the travelander camper which can either be towed on a trailer or put on the back of a tray back because l have an old troopy at the moment l'm thinking of going with the trailer any comments would be much appreciated

Offline Greydemon

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Travelander
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Hi FG Nomad,

I can't really help as my Travelander hasn't been delivered yet (well, to be precise the module has, but the trailer is being built in Queensland so won't be here for a while).  However, I did a lot of poking about and trying everything before I bought, including poking around the display model many times and driving for several hours to look at a 2007 model which we hoped to buy (but didn't).

My wife and I really love the automatic set up, the 2007 model needed a couple of poles to be extended, whch doesn't seem necessary with the latest version so the set up is very quick and easy.  The earlier model had a kitchen unit which you really had to take right out of it's slot and set up on legs (pretty heavy and awkward) the new ones have brilliant two position stainless steel cooker/sinks.  It was the kitchen layout which won us over, with the fridge, storage, and cooker all in good positions.

We also liked the provision for two fridge/freezers rather than one large one - more versatile and still leaves you with half capacity if one breaks (not that an Engel would break of course!)  Also, they were happy to supply with only one Engel as I already have one of suitable size thus I saved a bit.  The hot water system takes a few minutes to heat up, but this is because it is gas and has a storage tank. We looked at the Conqueror and were told that the diesel water heater motor had to be running to supply the hot water, which we thought would be irritating.

I was a little concerned about the fibreglass construction but trawling the web couldn't find anything to show that it couldn't stand rough roads, though most of the support for the toughness did seem to come from Travelanders own reports. However, in my youth I used to have a fibreglass car and managed to rip the side out of a metal car while sustaining only a minor crack myself so fibreglass is pretty tough  8)

We have gone for the airbag suspension, having seen it in use on the 2007 model. Frankly I think it is overpriced as it is $2,500 more than the coil suspension. However, it will save any stuffing around with blocks of wood to get the camper level and or aim was to make this our last camper trailer purchase so we wanted to take out as much of the  aove mentioned tedious stuffing around as possible. It will also give us an airhose for tyres and inflatable toys  >:D

Finally a big big plus is the HUGE amount of storage, especially if you are buying the trailer model. No other camper we saw (and we saw a lot) comes anywhere near it for the amount of useful storage. My only concern is that if you actually fill all this space the weight is going to be considerable.  We were particularly looking for good storage of pots and pand and foodstuff, and storage of clothing without having to use suitcases. Both of these areas are very well covered - though there is no hanging space (hey, remember you are camping - rough it a bit)

hope this helps

Greydemon

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
There is a lot to like about them, particularly the concept that camping should be easy and comfortable. I was concerned about a few elements of the design, like the height of the fridges; many will need a small step to see inside them. Also, the walk up those stairs, or down for midnight relief might get a bit ordinary after a while.

Are you putting storage in the trailer itself?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
Greydemon,

Have you received your new camper yet? I am looking into the same set up - Trailer, Airbags etc.

I am interested in how it tows on rough roads. I hope it works out well for you.

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »
I was very close to buying a trayback model, but their lack of ability to customise it to my needs turned me away.  I wanted the base model but with the plumbing that's in the upper model.  They said they only have 2 models and the plumbing is installed during construction in China, so it was one or the other.  The upper model was just too expensive for me to justify.

Other than that, they ticked all the boxes.  I baulked a bit at the Chinese construction, but you can get any quality level you want from there, provided you pay for it.