Author Topic: New car  (Read 4322 times)

Offline ranger-jules

• Swag User
New car
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
We are trying to determine the best car for us. We are looking at a Toyota Fortuner, but hate the rear seating set up, the Prado is a bit exy but better so they say! looking at the Isuzu MUX or the pajero. We want 17 inch rims as we want to get off road tyres as we will be taking this car into the desert and off road a lot. We are looking at which has the best suspension and not the prettiness of it all, just the capabilities and do not like duel cab utes at all. We care for our grand child and she has to come every where with us most of the time, so would prefer some comfort. We can afford a prado but do think the cost is over the top and the other brands have longer warranties and service deals. My husband favours the prado,for the AWD capability. I favour the MUX as my sister has one and I have driven it. I did not like the fortuner seat position as I am short.We will not be towing much at all, so that is not a consideration. I do not like the back opening door on prado, I prefer the lift type as it serves as a cover in wet weather and using the back for cooking etc camping. I have done a lot of research and reviewing but still feel confused. I know I will get many different opinions but it is knowing what you are getting that helps you decide from people who already have them. Thanks

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: New car
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Quote from: ranger-jules
. We are looking at which has the best suspension and not the prettiness of it all, just the capabilities and do not like duel cab utes at all. who already have them.
from your selection, Prado followed by Pajero.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
Looking for new or secondhand? What sort of budget?
Both the Prado and Pajero have side opening doors.
Pajero Sport is lift up.
The Mux is lift up.
A Landcruiser is split lift up/drop down. (my "unbiased" preference :)  )
The MUX is a good bit of kit by all accounts but you may find accessories a bit harder to come by.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:36:35 PM by MrCruza »
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline
The following users thanked this post: ranger-jules

Offline phrothy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »
Prado definitely the leader.

If you fancy the Mux then checkout the Holden Trailblazer which has some similarities but with a more modern interior and a few extra luxuries and safety features in the top spec.

Ford Everest also gets a good rap in the motoring reviews.

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
Each to there own, I'm sure you will make the right decision what suits you guys.   Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline cruiserlux

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Have a look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lots of stuff standard that is only available in higher spec models in other brands.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
Prado definitely the leader.

If you fancy the Mux then checkout the Holden Trailblazer which has some similarities but with a more modern interior and a few extra luxuries and safety features in the top spec.

Ford Everest also gets a good rap in the motoring reviews.
Mate gives us Isuzu mob a break, would you buy a Jeep!!!!!!???? That what the motor is in the Colorado is. New MU.X is due out in the next week with the same auto as the Pardo with a much more proven motor. Oh and about many many $1000 S OF DOLLARS CHEAPER. Get over it you Toyota mob IUA  are out to crash your party.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955
The following users thanked this post: Dogsbreakfast, ranger-jules

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
Mate gives us Isuzu mob a break, would you buy a Jeep!!!!!!???? That what the motor is in the Colorado is. New MU.X is due out in the next week with the same auto as the Pardo with a much more proven motor. Oh and about many many $1000 S OF DOLLARS CHEAPER. Get over it you Toyota mob IUA  are out to crash your party.

The Prado 3.0 ltr and Isuzu share a common Aisin 5 speed auto and they will share a similar 6 speed as used in the update 2.8 prado

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
The Prado 3.0 ltr and Isuzu share a common Aisin 5 speed auto and they will share a similar 6 speed as used in the update 2.8 prado
They did up till the new Pardo with the 2.8 but the D.Max did have the 5 speed auto ( as ours has) now the Isuzu has had it own manual gear box, the new 6 speed manual is a totally new box and well ahead of a lot of others out there.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »

I thought the Isuzu gear is the same one as the petrol 200 series. Does the Prado have the same box?

If you want reliability choose the Isuzu. Nothing comes close for the price.
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »
Not 100% sure, but I think the MU-X has a locked centre diff (edit: part time 4wd system) with both high and low range 4WD?
This would be an issue for visits to the snow (resorts), for example, where you frequently go from high grip, dry paved road (sun) to no grip snow/ice (shade).
Both Pajeros have the excellent Super Select 2 system allowing 2WD, 4High, 4High locked cd and 4Low locked cd plus RD lock if required.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:41:56 PM by Benduro »

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
Not 100% sure, but I think the MU-X has a locked centre diff in both high and low range 4WD?
This would be an issue for visits to the snow (resorts) where you frequently go from high grip, dry paved road (sun) to no grip snow/ice (shade).
Both Pajeros have the excellent Super Select 2 system allowing 2WD, 4High, 4High locked cd and 4Low locked cd plus RD lock if required.

No diff locks in the Isuzu.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu

KingBilly

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
Not 100% sure, but I think the MU-X has a locked centre diff in both high and low range 4WD?
This would be an issue for visits to the snow (resorts) where you frequently go from high grip, dry paved road (sun) to no grip snow/ice (shade).

No centre diff in the Isuzus.  They are part time 4WD, not full time.

KB

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »
Thats my point (I think, haha).
If in part time 4wd (MU-X) shouldn't it only be on loose/slippery surfaces to avoid any binding of the drivetrain ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:43:06 PM by Benduro »

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »
Go test drive each of them and that should give you an idea of which one you like best.

We had a Pajero and loved it - saw in today's paper they were $48k driveaway plus a cash back offer which is awesome value.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »
For $48,000, you buy a second hand 4wd something and a classic from the 40's, 50's or 60's. :cup:

I have much more fun playing with two instead of one.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Me

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Yeah, we have two as well.

One is a 2nd hand Pajero. We bought it as they depreciate very quickly compared to Prado, so we got a much newer car for the same $$$ The bad news is its already depreciated around another 20% in the 18 months we've had it.

For the OP's requirement of off road travel the Pajero has one major drawback - it has a monocoque chassis. This basically means that if you don't air down on rough dirt roads, the car shakes like crazy. It feels like the dash is about to fall into my lap.

Its a very good car though! Our other one is a Nissan & the Paj is MUCH better finished. Its just the chassis that lets it down. No biggie though, if you're OK with airing down for things like short trips into gorges etc off the bitumen. We had to air down just to go into the Breakaways & when we came back out of Serpentine Gorge. Wouldn't have had to do that in our other 4x4.