Author Topic: Treg Coupling Poly Block Fail  (Read 9628 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Treg Coupling Poly Block Fail
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
Anyone had the poly block crack on there Treg Hitch?

This is after I had removed the Treg Hitch  -- been replaced with a OzHitch.   

:cheers:

TimE

Re: Treg Coupling Poly Block Fail
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »
Is the poly block genuine Treg, or a "foreign"  copy?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
Have seen poly suspension parts  get like that over time,  all melted and jelly looking from having the wrong type of grease being used, it just made the poly get realy oily then cracked  and crumbled when put under a bit of pressure ..
Has it been lubed with oil or some other type like that etc at some stage ?
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
It was a genuine one..   --  I think the tropics has something to do with it, as I live in Darwin, poly and rubber products just don't seem to last that long up here.  In the 4WD club here, I know of another Treg coupling that have done the same.  The poly block appears to have gone brittle.

The coupling was between 5 to 6 years old.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
been replaced with a OzHitch.   

There were reports of issues with OzHitch a little while back as well http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38029.0

Is the poly block genuine Treg, or a "foreign"  copy?

Looks genuine to me, the fakes dont normally go as far as putting the original's contact details on there.

The early copies had issues but I find it a little amusing that in recent times I have seen issues with Aussie made but not the imports, I would guess there would be a pretty big volume of the copy's in the wild now as well, those that do the roughest travelling would probably go for the original so they are more likely to cop the greater workout.

Has it been lubed with oil or some other type like that etc at some stage ?

Looks like it has been lubed with something

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
This might help answer a couple of questions, lifted this from the Torana forum . .. Seems some blame the humidity / heat etc oil / fuel contamination etc But it seems production quality is the most likley  to blame .
" QUOTE "
I recently spoke to the guy who I have liased with over many years at my work and who makes the stuff for a living here in Adelaide, 'the poly guru' regarding Bombers problem. He agrees with my sentiments that polyurethane is not affected by the elements. Polyurethane was developed by the mining industry years ago to overcome the ongoing high maintenance factor of their equipment such as replacing the rollers on ship loading conveyor belt systems etc. As an example, shutting down loading facilities at ports to replace rubber and other components is costly and the polyurethane rollers etc helped to reduce this maintenance routine substantially. From my experience and as I mentioned earlier, a GOOD QUALITY polyurethane WILL withstand being placed in any location or application in a Torry.

The problem lies in the manufacture of the stuff. It is said that some manufacturers may add a "filler material" to the good mix so that the liquid bulks up and "goes further" prior to pouring so they can produce more products, in this case suspension bushes from the one batch mix. Its very similar to watering down paint so it goes further. Perhaps call it industry economics.

The crunch is that with the addition of the "filler material", polyurethane looses its extremely superior qualities and THE first thing to suffer is its material bonding capability which causes a loss of strength resulting in material degeneration. Yes, thats more than likely all the problem is! You can't beat quality.

It is also said that you'll probably find this more apparent in the boat trailer roller industry where they may get away with it more often. Lots more trailers and lots more rollers to be made and hence they can 'stretch' the output production numbers.

Based on the stories I've seen so far, its buyer beware. If I was to purchase a polyurethane suspension product for my Torry right now then I would be asking the guy behind the counter the $64 question - where was it made, is it local or is it imported, and to put his reputation behind his product and get him to demonstrate the stuff and put it in a vice (with jaw keepers), bang it with a hammer or something, and if it handles it buy it, and if it breaks and crumbles or shows signs of fatigue then walk away. That's me though. Alternatively, you may wish to have a right of returning the goods for refund/replacement. Methinks it should have a lifetime guarantee just sitting around in a package until installed anyway. Better still I would have the Adelaide guy make it.

I hope this further helps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:53:59 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
Looks genuine to me, the fakes dont normally go as far as putting the original's contact details on there.

The section with the sticker on is genuine. The poly block itself doesn't look genuine. A genuine poly block is normally blue or black and the hitch is normally gold in colour. You can see the difference in the metal colour between the two pieces.

Does the poly block itself have Treg or Trigg stamped on it?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
I am rather sure that the poly block itself had Treg moulded into it..  -- I was cleaning up today where I noticed that I had the coupling sitting on a shelf, as the  hoarder that I am, I actually kept it.  -- It's going to the rubbish tip today

There is a way that the poly block itself could have been contaminated with diesel, as on more that one occasion I managed to crack my main fuel tank on my vehicle http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17679.msg494538#msg494538  and that did manage to cover the front of the trailer with a mixture of red dust and diesel.

Just a note at the time of replacement I did check out the new Treg couplings at our local trailer parts supplier (BTC in Darwin) and the Treg coupling had a red poly block in it, and one reason that I went with the Ozhitch is that it was cheaper.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
You can see the difference in the metal colour between the two pieces.

I think the difference in appearance is probably down the likely difference in being left out in the weather, if you look at the shaft that goes through the poly that wasn't exposed it is still gold.

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
I have an old genuine TREG red poly block on the caravan. It has slop on the pins, one of the swing stops is broken and still very solid.  Previous owner stored it in full sun.  Towbar coupling looks like the block has spun around and in the wrong way so poly is under tension not compression.
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
Towbar coupling looks like the block has spun around and in the wrong way so poly is under tension not compression.

I would be a bit concerned if this is the case, normally if the poly let's go, the configuration means it would still stay together, but if it's been reversed and the poly let's go then it would come apart.

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:47 PM »
Approx 6 months ago I rang Treg to purchase a replacement block for my off road van. They informed me not to get the 'red' coloured block if using a WDH. It was strongly recommended to purchase the 'black' coloured block.
I don't know if this has any bearing as to what happened here, but it is worth remembering for future use.
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
The block on my Sturt is one of the black ones. It's over 13 years old and has always been out in the weather.
It's as good as gold.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
The block on my Sturt is one of the black ones. It's over 13 years old and has always been out in the weather.
It's as good as gold.

Just a quick side question. Does your black Treg block change colour when it gets really cold? Mine seems to, as it goes to a grey/green when 0C or below.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
Just a quick side question. Does your black Treg block change colour when it gets really cold? Mine seems to, as it goes to a grey/green when 0C or below.

Haven't really noticed.
What I can say, is the surface has discoloured and has a rough texture, but that happened in the first couple of years.
The material underneath that thin surface appears to be unaffected.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
Hi Cyberess,

How are you finding the ozhitch. Any problems hitching up with the receiver?

I prefer my original ozhitch receiver cradles to the last one I bought as it has a habit of tilting the universal just as it is about to engage in the correct position too push the pin through, very frustrating.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:37:26 AM »
Haven't really used the Ozhitch as yet..  As I haven't been using my trailer -- have just been tenting it lately ;)

Treg Coupling certainly was never over loaded 

When I might have first cracked the coupling