Author Topic: Help / Advice - Compliance plate  (Read 4528 times)

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
Help / Advice - Compliance plate
« on: February 15, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
I'm trying to get my new (second hand) purchase registered in NSW. It is a Cape York Explorer, built in Qld in 2007, currently registered in VIC.

I have been through the process of getting a weigh bridge certificate and a blue slip. Here's the crunch.

At the RTA the good man behind the counter said that the blue slip has marked on it that there is no compliance plate. I said that it has and that the servo guy was looking at it while I was there.

I ring the servo and the guy tells me it is not a compliance plate. I don't remember verbatim what he said, but in essence he said it was a manufacturers plate and not a compliance plate as it didn't have ADR or something on it.

The plate lists the VIN and ATM and that sort of stuff. What to do ??

I'm at work as I type so can't immediately answer questions about the plate, but gee .... any advice ??

On a different note, the servo guy also marked it as a box trailer rather than a camper trailer. Apart from anything else, the difference is you pay stamp duty on a box trailer but not a camper trailer (don't know if that is just on transfer or second hand, but that is the case fro my situation $600+ mistake)

Also, the RTA wants the VIN on my receipt, not just the rego number.

Love this process ... not !!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Help / Advice - Compliance plate
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
go home take photos of the plate and post up what you have...

go elsewhere for the blue slip.

I think Carac sell blank compliance plates you get engraved yourself for home made trailers.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
Thanks Bird .... yeah a photo is first job when I get home tonight.
Cheers

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
Nice choice of camper btw

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »
Well some research and back to the servo. I did take a pic but didn't get to downloading it last night.
The only difference between the plate on this compared to my boat trailer is....
The boat trailer has as its last sentence ....
“This trailer was manufactured to comply with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989"

The camper trailer says....
"This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Rules"

Al the other info is the same.

It looks the same as any other compliance plate.

The annoying thing is that manufacturers have to apply to Vehicle Safety Standards, a part of the Aust. Gov. Dept, of Infrastructure and Regional Development. It's not state based, it's federal. The Plate is acceptable everywhere else, indeed, doing a rego check via Vic Roads tells me the date of the compliance plate.

The servo guy said he wasn't going to risk  his licence and that he rang a technical support line available to registered inspection stations and they told him it was not a compliance plate but a manufacturers plate . If that's the case then, then it's sounds like some knob splitting hairs.

I haven't put huge effort in yet, but the above govt web site.....do you think I can find a phone number on it .... If it's there, it buried.

Thanks feisty....Yeah I like the camper .... Just hope I don't have to go through too much more pain.
We'll see what today brings

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:24 AM »
Must have been stressed ..... a quick search and I found the govt dept. ph. Numbers. I'll be calling them today

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Happy days ... trailer registered. All parties involved ended up pointing the finger at the other parties ... I don't care. Its done.

The issue wasn't as I described below, it was that the servo guy insisted that the RTA tech support hotline told him the correct way to fill the form out was to indicate there was no compliance plate, but write in the comments that there was a Manufacturers plated fitted.

Anyway ... at the RTA the guy actually found the camper in whatever system they use and said that it was listed as having a compliance plate. There is more ... but its done and I'm happy and that mechanic won't be getting any of my hard earned in the future.

Off this weekend locally just to give it an initial run and take notes on what we want to do prior to our big trip.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Good news!
If the RTA have a record of a Compliance plate perhaps you could get the info off it from them & have a plate made up for any future hassles i.e. roadside inspection
Enjoy your break.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
Honestly NSW is a joke when i got my camper rego changed over from NSW i rang around

1 Guy said i needed a weigh bridge cert even though the weights were on the camper

Another guy told me as it was pretty new just take some photos of the camper and compliance certs and bring them down
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Steve F

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »
When I got my ex-military trailer registered it was quite a bit of hassle, it was a 1965 and was used in service up to December 2015.  I wanted to register it as a 1965 No 5 1/2 Ton trailer as this is what it is and they are already on the list in NSW RMS.  To get it registered as a 1965 the blueslip guy and the RMS needed paperwork to prove it was a 1965.  I had paper work back to 1974 but no earlier.  In the end I wrote a letter to myself saying trailer with identification number xxxxxxx is indeed a 1965 and signed it as military trailer register ;)  To back this up I got a unregistered vehicle permit that said it was a 1965 No 5 1/2 Ton trailer, this was all done at my word over the counter at the RMS but counted as part of the paperwork to prove it was a '65!!!!

That got the date sorted but it still had to comply with current ADR's........ that meant new lights, reflectors, mud flaps, rated and stamped towing point etc.  In the end it was no big deal as I had plans for all this anyway but it was a bit of a joke as the blueslip guy and RMS just wanted to tick the boxes and made it pretty tough to register despite it being put through hell for 50 years and looking a lot better than most old box trailers on the road.  It's much easier for cars (done it with a '62 beetle) but the paper work for trailers assumes there is no such thing as a vintage trailer ;)  Sometimes it seems there is no room for common sense in these government departments.

As an aside a lot of guys get older trailers registered as homemade to avoid all this but I wanted to keep the history with it.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Help / Advice - Compliance plate
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
The system is a joke in NSW alright. It took me longer to get my trailer registered then it did to actually build the thing.

Good to hear you got yours sorted in the end latestater. Now to get out and enjoy it. ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:25:07 PM by Pete79 »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
QLD ain't much better...............

Wanting to transfer the rego from WA to QLD. No issue as one would expect. Oh how wrong I could be.

Chop from wagon to 4 door ute and seating capacity reduction............ no problem. Mod plate can be transferred.
GVM upgrade...............nope. Seems QLD doesn't recognise nationally accredited engineers  ::) ::)
All my mods were engineered when the chop was done AND by a 2nd manufacturer company however, that company has since closed and now the plate is only recognised by WA (upon inquiring with DOT in WA, as far as they are concerned it remains current) in the eyes of the QLD gestapo.
I will need a FULL engineered assessment for the upgrade AS WELL AS redoing the suspension by another 2nd manufacturer with a reduced capacity (10% increase on axle load weights/factory GVM as I've currently got a 20% increase).

Needless to say, WA will remain getting my hard earned for the rego of the Patrol.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
When I got my ex-military trailer registered it was quite a bit of hassle, it was a 1965 and was used in service up to December 2015. 

but it still had to comply with current ADR's........ that meant new lights, reflectors, mud flaps, rated and stamped towing point etc. 

Even though it's been hauled all over Australia (& maybe even O/S ?) on- & off-road for those 50 years ???

So lights, mud flaps & so on don't matter if it's hooked up to a spotty vehicle ??? :D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Steve F

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
Even though it's been hauled all over Australia (& maybe even O/S ?) on- & off-road for those 50 years ???

So lights, mud flaps & so on don't matter if it's hooked up to a spotty vehicle ??? :D

Yep, pretty sure it even did a tour in Vietnam....  The Lunette was the funniest thing, because it wasn't stamped with a rating it wasn't up to the job, bet the trailer had seen a lot more than 1/2 a ton in it at some point ;)

Cheers
Steve

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
On a different note, the servo guy also marked it as a box trailer rather than a camper trailer. Apart from anything else, the difference is you pay stamp duty on a box trailer but not a camper trailer (don't know if that is just on transfer or second hand, but that is the case fro my situation $600+ mistake)
This is a double edged sword. Camper Trailer: No stamp duty, higher rego fees. Box trailer: Stamp Duty, cheap rego. You might need to split the receipt into 'trailer' and 'camping accesories' to get the value low enough for the stamp duty to not cost a lot. A box trailer isn't worth $5k like a camper trailer, but $500 for the trailer and $4500 for camping gear sounds better and reduces your stamp duty to very little.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »

That got the date sorted but it still had to comply with current ADR's........ that meant new lights, reflectors, mud flaps, rated and stamped towing point etc. 
Can't see why it has to comply with the ADR's as they are not retrospective.  Unless they considered it a "new" trailer the took 50 years to get registered.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Steve F

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 07:22:35 AM »
Can't see why it has to comply with the ADR's as they are not retrospective.  Unless they considered it a "new" trailer the took 50 years to get registered.

That's exactly it, never registered so has to comply with current ADRs, if it was a car I could have got around it much easier but being a trailer there was a simple form they had to fill in at the blueslip place and he followed it by the book.  A lot of blueslip guys don't with trailers though so most get the ex military trailers blueslipped no problem.  Graysonline used to sell them all blueslipped and vin'd as 1984 model trailers to avoid the ADR stuff but they don't blueslip them anymore, probably got too hard.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
bet the trailer had seen a lot more than 1/2 a ton in it at some point ;)

Oh God yes! :D

I've seen them stacked wall to wall, end to end with full water jerry's - what's that 40, 50 x 20kg each? - one hell of a sight more than 500kg, that's for sure >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday