Author Topic: Calling an Ambulance to bush location  (Read 17604 times)

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Calling an Ambulance to bush location
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »

The below app is the one recommended by all Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance and SES) across Australia.

Thanks for the insight Jillsy.

As I'm doing a 3500km ride this week-end, I got all conscientious and loaded the app as a back-up to the SPOT Tracker that I usually have with me. Turns out it thinks I'm at a location 5.3 km from where I actually am ???

Maybe I need to reset my phone ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
The Southern 80 was a tragic event but it highlights response times even in Victoria. There are plenty of spots around my patch that police/ambos/firies can be 3hrs+ if air assets can't get there due to weather etc.

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0
The following users thanked this post: Rocky and Bullwinkle

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
Folks,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents in here as I am one of the "numpties" (as you nicely put it) that work in an Operations Centre for the Ambulance Service - I will have been there 10 years in July.

Great write up there Jillsy. Apologies if my words offended.

Fortunately I have only needed to call 000 on three occasions (2 for ambos, 1 for police), unfortunately all three of those occasions where answered by operators that where very polite and trying to be helpful, but clearly had no idea.

The worst one was the police.

Now I have been an active member of surf life saving for over 20 years. I've competed in countless rescue competitions and almost as many drills and practice mass rescues. I would hope that my communication skills had been somewhat refined in all of those years.
But I have to be honest and say I did give up trying to explain to the operator were the people where that had abandoned their car on the highway. I guessing the police eventually found them about 2km south of were they where searching. But after about 45minutes of clearly describing the area, naming side roads and creeks as I crossed them, I did give up.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
Thank Macca.

In a shift (12 hours) the calls I answer are many and varied. Everyone's definition of an emergency is different. Different people react in different ways too - whether they be the patient, the caller or a bystander.

Our biggest challenge is "tourists" who don't know where they are but still expect us to be able to find them ASAP. Another is people who think that us "asking all these questions" is delaying the ambulance - most don't understand that there are two different roles in the Operations Centre - the Call Taker (who obviously takes the calls) and the Dispatcher (who sends the Ambulance) so the Ambulance is generally getting sorted within 90 seconds of you calling for help.
Yeah, as this guy was running on and off the train lines and on the move it took quite a while for the coppers to catch up with us but as i found out 000 had dispatched three police cars, two ambulance and had stopped the trains running (during peak hour too) all while talking to me on the phone. Never forget the operators words as we were standing less than six inches from a couple of trains wizzing by " .. if he's going to do it dont let him take you with him"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
Quote from: macca
if he's going to do it dont let him take you with him"

http://www.phespirit.info/derekandclive/live_13.htm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
it still took 40 odd min for the emergency personnel to arrive.

Whilst this is unfortunate, the delay in arriving on scene may not be the fault of the emergency personnel.  For example, let's say there is a vehicle rollover 15km West of Barcaldine (Western QLD) on the Landsborough Highway and the ambulance is dispatched and has arrived on scene and is dealing with a critical patient.  Meanwhile, another 000 is received for someone who is on a station 25km East of Barcaldine and has a compound fracture to the the leg and broken collar bone after falling off a horse.  The dilemma here is that, due to government funding & statistics etc there is only one Ambulance officer on shift at any one time at some of the regional stations and so if the "local Ambo" is on a job and can't leave their current patient, the next closest Ambulance is dispatched.  The next closest in this instance would be Aramac and that is still at 92km away from the scene.

I'm not saying that this is what happened with the boating incident, I am just saying that it's possible the "local crew" were already on an emergency in the opposite direction...

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
Turns out it thinks I'm at a location 5.3 km from where I actually am ???

Maybe I need to reset my phone ?

Try re-calibrating the GPS function on your phone...
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Great write up there Jillsy. Apologies if my words offended.

Fortunately I have only needed to call 000 on three occasions (2 for ambos, 1 for police), unfortunately all three of those occasions where answered by operators that where very polite and trying to be helpful, but clearly had no idea.

This is why it is SO important to follow up after the event and report any difficulties you experienced so that these people can receive additional training or performance management. 

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
http://www.phespirit.info/derekandclive/live_13.htm  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Did say it was a few years ago, you know, when your still young enough to think you can save the world. I am a bit more callous these days, you must be rubbing off on me 😉

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
Quote from: macca
Did say it was a few years ago, you know, when your still young enough to think you can save the world. I am a bit more callous these days, you must be rubbing off on me 😉
Love my Derek and Clive :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
I deleted the Emergency App after a couple of embarrassing pocket dials.    :-[
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
The app works well.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »
Try re-calibrating the GPS function on your phone...

just another example of why they shoulnt give smart phones to dumb bastards...............

Done as suggested, and works a treat now.

hangs head in shame and retreats to corner :-[
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
just another example of why they shoulnt give smart phones to dumb bastards...............

Done as suggested, and works a treat now.

hangs head in shame and retreats to corner :-[

Glad it works and glad you tested it in a non-emergency situation - maybe it's a good lesson for everyone else to do the same  ;D

Offline Rocky and Bullwinkle

• Tent User
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
Hi All, I have been doing full first aid courses now for years and the same stuff is said 112 will work anywhere, My question is why are they still saying this, if it does not, I carry my boat EPirb in my 4wd when away on trips up north or anywhere I have it registered to my 5m tinny and my 4wd, Craig

I live in the high country in Victoria  with Telstra as my provider lots of dead spots for reception even on main roads so 112 won't work if you have no phone reception. If you are in a remote spot they need as much information as possible, the first thing the Amb crew will do is look at the map to work out where you are, then do they need a 4WD will it be a wilderness response do they need to get suitably qualified paramedics because it might be a walk in can we get HEMS is it day or night. Will they need to liaise will Police do they need VicPol SAR and SES. It all takes time. Forget your 15 min response. Some of these jobs can take up to 12 hours plus from start to finish.

Greg
2015 Isuzu D Max
2015 Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
The other toy is a
2008 SeaDoo RXTX 255HP
The following users thanked this post: Stewart

Offline timmyh80

• Swag User
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
Thanks Jillsy for your insights. We all have to remember the people who answer the phone are actually trying to help us. Every bit of information we can give them helps them to do it better.

And we need to remain calm! Hard to do in an emergency situation but we need to try.

We should be thankful for people like Jillsy who take our calls. They must hear of horrific instances day after day. They do play an important role in getting help to us in times of need.

While we don't need to for a H&S committee and develop a risk assessment for everything we plan to undertake, it is good to be generally prepared. 1st aid kit/ training, details of trip left with someone at home, recovery gear, knowing weather forcast, extra water/ food, emergency comms, and, after this trip, how to find GPS location quickly are things on my list.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »
If in remote location,If you can get the person back to a main road or somewhere help can get there
Tell services where your headed, likely you will get a long way back to hospital before the ambulence meets you
Remote areas dont have much resorces. Youre likely to be waiting a long time. Consider this when planning or undertaking more remote travel or risky activities.

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
If in remote location,If you can get the person back to a main road or somewhere help can get there
Tell services where your headed, likely you will get a long way back to hospital before the ambulence meets you.

Absolutely. However, please don't move the patient if doing so will exacerbate their injuries. For example - if someone has the potential to have spinal injuries, moving them could cause irreversible and life altering damage.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »
The app works well.

Mark

Best of all its available for Windows Phone as well... Which is better than the NSW gov't can manage with some of their apps..

Offline jr

• Tent User
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
Absolutely. However, please don't move the patient if doing so will exacerbate their injuries. For example - if someone has the potential to have spinal injuries, moving them could cause irreversible and life altering damage.

For sure
Often wondered of the risk of moving someone  vs waiting say 12 hrs for help,
they arent going to stay still for much more than an hour or so.

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
For sure
Often wondered of the risk of moving someone  vs waiting say 12 hrs for help,
they arent going to stay still for much more than an hour or so.

Is definately a case by case thing, if in doubt...ask the Emergency Medical Dispatcher and they will put you through to someone who can offer advice regarding what would be best ie stay or go...

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Is definately a case by case thing, if in doubt...ask the Emergency Medical Dispatcher and they will put you through to someone who can offer advice regarding what would be best ie stay or go...

I like how you call them by their MPDS name...... we always just called ourseles "calltakers", but then, i never did like AMPDS much
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:50:07 PM by DeLuxHiLux »
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au