Author Topic: Calling an Ambulance to bush location  (Read 17604 times)

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Re: Calling an Ambulance to bush location
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Regarding emergency call centres going pear-shaped... I had a police incident at my home 2 years ago in inner Brisbane, (a Break & Enter) -

Called 000 from my mobile, quoted my home address - which was 168 xxxx Rd...   and after an agonizing wait and a cop no show, I get a call from the police...??    "Where are you"??         >:D

The police were at my business at 147 xxx Rd - (same road, same suburb)... ???

The mobile phone was registered to my business at 147 xxx road - and the dispatcher took it upon themselves to send the police to that (very similar sounding but wrong) address...

I had no landline at home, so had to use a mobile - plus just through the broken louvers at the front stairs; could be seen a bloodbath - where the crim had gashed himself - trying to gain entry..

:police:
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »
And on the variety of apps available.
I use EWN a lot for weather events, but they also have good help functions.
You can register contact details for 2 people (family or friends) that might be able to help in a emergency. It's just a click of a button and the app sends them your location by text and/or email.

The app also has your location and direct numbers for SES or Police. It shows your location on the screen while you call the emergency services so you can give your position.

Offline two up

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
My vote goes for the emergency+ App & yes available in iTunes.

What the app looks on the inside. If it can give you a street address it will, otherwise just lat long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This app also sends the data that you see on the screen to the emergency services in nsw, eg lat and long as well as address. You will be asked to confirm the info to help weed aout false calls.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »
Just wondering if you have no phone service, how does the app work?
Does it run off GPS or does it only work with service?

I'm heading to our property on the weekend for some camping (and working - damn tree across the track >:()
I'll head down to the river and give it a go.

We also always keep an EPIRB handy just in case. Cheap insurance.

(Anyone want to come chop a tree up??? >:D)
Cheers all
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
I believe that the number is 112. It is meant to work even when there is no mobile phone reception.
How do these BS urban myths get started?   This misinformation is dangerous.
What is true...
  • All Australian mobile carriers will accept emergency calls from phones from a different network or phones without a SIM card.   Mobile phones wont communicate with a satellite.
  • Sat phones will also accept emergency calls from SIMless Sat phones (but not phones from different satellite carriers as the frequencies are different)
  • 112 is the international GSM emergency number and works around the world.  000 is Australian and I've noticed that dialling 000 on an iPhone shows up on the bill as a 112 call.

It's been discussed on other threads here, but to labour a point: the cheapest "works anywhere" emergency communication system is a second hand Iridium sat phone ($6-800 on eBay) with a Telstra post-paid GSM SIM.   Emergency calls are free, other calls are expensive but there are no ongoing costs. A sat phone plan is not required.   

40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
A few years ago a group of our 4wd club went to Israelite Bay.
One of them was bitten by a snake and the emergency was called in by Satphone.
Even though the SES supposed to be in the known of bush emergencies, the lady had no idea where Israelite Bay in NSW was.
That's correct, it is in WA as told by our club.
She was the same: postcode, address etc.
No idea that there is anything outside the city it seemed.
It took a long time before they arranged for an ambulance to go that way.
Mind you: a normal ambo. And you guessed it, it was bogged.
So the patient was loaded in the car and raced over the tracks towards Esperance.

Maybe this is where our HF radio is better in an emergency as we can get in contact  with RFDS on their emergency  frequency, which we are licensed  to have in our radios. If for some reason we can not contact them we can get one of our members to do it by contacting them on another frequency.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
Just purchased a 9505 Iridium phone, charger, 2 Li batteries, external vehicle antenna, and pelican case off Ebay.
$620.00.

There were others for less, obviously not as many extras, if any.
Also as per another thread, I believe the Telstra Mobile SIM will work in this phone.
Obviously not cheap Call costs, but if it gets help when needed, that's what its for.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
Just wondering if you have no phone service, how does the app work?
Does it run off GPS or does it only work with service?

I'm heading to our property on the weekend for some camping (and working - damn tree across the track >:()
I'll head down to the river and give it a go.

We also always keep an EPIRB handy just in case. Cheap insurance.

(Anyone want to come chop a tree up??? >:D)
Cheers all
Brian

If you have no phone service from any provider, it won't work. If a provider other than yours has service, auto roaming will allow your phone to contact the emergency number. The GPS part of it will work irrespective of you having service, because it uses your phone's GPS receiver to get information, it just can't do anything with it ie can't relay the information.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »
Just purchased a 9505 Iridium phone, charger, 2 Li batteries, external vehicle antenna, and pelican case off Ebay.
$620.00.

There were others for less, obviously not as many extras, if any.
Also as per another thread, I believe the Telstra Mobile SIM will work in this phone.
Obviously not cheap Call costs, but if it gets help when needed, that's what its for.

Yep, Telstra post paid with International Roaming activated.   Calls are $2 per 30sec both incoming and outgoing.   (That might be a trap as your call to 000 is free but if the emergency services call you back its $4/min.).   

You will also need to get an adapter so your mobile's nano SIM will fit into the SIM slot on the Iridium.   ($1 on eBay or $10 at a shopping centre kiosk).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-In-1-Pack-Nano-To-Micro-Standard-SIM-Card-Adapter-For-Samsung-HTC-LG-iPhone-/172220107012?hash=item28191e4904:g:ufAAAOSwZVlXmLrM

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
I am still working on it to get a HF radio.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Have found an Oct. 2013 Document from Telstra.

Explaining charges and use of the Iridium phones.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/mobile-phones/pdf/mobilesat.pdf

It also states that a GSM phone SIM card with International Roaming activated will work in the Iridium phones.
With the phone service you can get calling No. display.  Although some phones 9500 & 9505 Do not support this feature.

Hope this helps.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-id/id569352341

Another app for the safety conscious types.

Often our personal info is hidden behind a pin number in our phones. This app was created originally for cyclists who traditionally don't carry wallets with I.D., but is useful for anybody. You create a Lock screen photo with blood types, emergency contacts etc so that any first responder can get your emergency particulars when they hit any button.
It also has gps crumb trailing, alert when immobile, time before alerting others settings etc that can be set depending on how dodgy the activity is that you are up to.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
Have found an Oct. 2013 Document from Telstra.

Explaining charges and use of the Iridium phones.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/mobile-phones/pdf/mobilesat.pdf

It also states that a GSM phone SIM card with International Roaming activated will work in the Iridium phones.
With the phone service you can get calling No. display.  Although some phones 9500 & 9505 Do not support this feature.

Hope this helps.

That document is still current, with respect to call costs for GSM in TMS.

...and you can ignore Section 7.7 which says you can only use the "GSM in TMS" service within the areas covered by the GSM network.  I think thats only put there for licensing/ACMA reasons.   It works anywhere.   I've used mine within and outside of areas covered by the GSM network.  It would be kinda pointless switching the GSM SIM into the Iridium if it only worked in areas with GSM reception.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:51:49 PM by Patr80l »
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »
That document is still current, with respect to call costs for GSM in TMS.

It works anywhere.   I've used mine within and outside of areas covered by the GSM network.  It would be kinda pointless switching the GSM SIM into the Iridium if it only worked in areas with GSM reception.

If it only worked in a GSM area, it seems you wouldn't need the Sat Phone.
As you say Patr80l kinda pointless.
Cost is definitely not as low as a GSM Mobile phone, $2.00 per 30 Sec. for use of a Sattelite both to and from, makes it almost a last resort.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
The following users thanked this post: Tim - Stratford

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
Cost is definitely not as low as a GSM Mobile phone, $2.00 per 30 Sec. for use of a Sattelite both to and from, makes it almost a last resort.
Yep, it's expensive but for emergencies and maybe a couple of calls on a once a year trip it's still much cheaper than a 24 month plan.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »

Rob, in an emergency do we really care about a few $$ for a phone call?

You wouldn't use them for chatting about the weather or the latest episode of Home and Away......

:cheers: :cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »
Course not.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »

You wouldn't use them for chatting about the weather or the latest episode of Home and Away......

:cheers: :cheers:

My missus would😋

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »
Folks,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents in here as I am one of the "numpties" (as you nicely put it) that work in an Operations Centre for the Ambulance Service - I will have been there 10 years in July.

Yes, if you are in a remote location, knowing your GPS coordinates BEFORE ringing 000 is very helpful.  Not only are they handy for the "road" ambulance but are also great for us to pass onto the rescue helicopter (aka Air Ambulance or MediVac etc).  GPS coordinates are not always required though.  If you are on a gazetted road and know a nearby Rural Property Number or Creek Crossing etc this information will allow us to find you as well.

Unfortunately we have to answer EVERY call with "Ambulance, what is the town or suburb of the emergency?" which I know sounds as handy as "bits" on a bull when you are in the middle of nowhere. After that question is asked, just clearly state that you are not in a town or suburb but that you are in the locality of "The Pinnacles" (or wherever you are) and that you travelled on such and such road/track to get there.  Advise them you also have your GPS coordinates ready to give them as well.  If you are somewhere that requires a 4WD, tell them that during the call. 

Not everyone has travelled, worked or lived outside of Metro areas and so therefore some people have very little understanding of what lies beyond the concrete they are surrounded by. During their training they are instructed on call scenarios for various locations.  Like in all jobs though -  some people are fantastic at it, others not so fantastic.  If you do experience some challenges when conveying information to an emergency service, please don't be afraid to provide feedback via the designated means (you can usually do it via the website) so that extra training can be given to that staff member (or so they can be performance managed i.e get spoken to by a Supervisor etc). 

Couldn't agree more that you need to "push for what you need".  After all, you are the one that is on scene and therefore has a clear picture of what has happened.  Just don't forget to remain calm and answer all of the questions the EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatcher) has for you so that he/she can get a glimpse of that picture (as all he/she has to go on is the information you are providing) and then dispatch the most appropriate resource/resources to you.

Not all delays in an emergency service finding a scene are the fault of the emergency service responding. If you do live "out of town" and have a rural property number, make sure that the number (and the peg it's on) isn't obscured by long grass or shrubs etc.  Keep the area around it maintained. Even if you live "in town" make sure your house number is clearly visible and maintained ie no numbers have peeled off etc.  Use the gazetted name for your road, not the "local" name.  If you call at night, turn on every light you have in the place to make it clearly visible to the officer/s in the vehicle driving as fast as they can to render assistance.  If your residence isn't visible from the road, tell the Operator that.  If your driveway is steep, tell the operator that.  If they have to go through three gates, over 2 cattle grids and then take the right fork in the road, tell the operator that.  Paint the picture for them as all they have to go on is the information you tell them.  They don't have a crystal ball and they aren't mind readers, nor have they travelled every single road in this great country of ours.  Even if you know your local Paramedics, Police Officers, Firies etc, it may not be them that are sent to you as, after all, they get annual leave/sick leave/family leave too and someone not normally from that area might be filling in for them.

The below app is the one recommended by all Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance and SES) across Australia.

What the app looks on the inside. If it can give you a street address it will, otherwise just lat long.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has regarding calling for an Ambulance.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:43:52 PM by Jillsy »
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Spada

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
Thanks JILLSY, you would have to be one of the more enlightened ones.
10 yrs., you only get 5 for murder nowadays!

Cheers,  :cup:
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
Great write up Jillsy, I imagine it would be a very difficult job at times trying to decipher information from someone that is panicking.  I had a situation a few years ago where one of the young blokes working for me tried to end it all by jumping in front of a train and i was on the phone to 000 for forty minutes, the job they did was amazing not only keeping me calm but offering life saving advice. You guys do a great job under difficult circumstances

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »
Thanks JILLSY, you would have to be one of the more enlightened ones.
10 yrs., you only get 5 for murder nowadays!

Cheers,  :cup:

I am lucky that I was raised on a cattle station in far SWQLD (Nappa Merrie Station which is on Coopers Creek) and so already have knowledge of the difficulties encountered when accessing remote areas.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:10:46 AM by Jillsy »

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »
Great write up Jillsy, I imagine it would be a very difficult job at times trying to decipher information from someone that is panicking.  I had a situation a few years ago where one of the young blokes working for me tried to end it all by jumping in front of a train and i was on the phone to 000 for forty minutes, the job they did was amazing not only keeping me calm but offering life saving advice. You guys do a great job under difficult circumstances

Thank Macca.

In a shift (12 hours) the calls I answer are many and varied. Everyone's definition of an emergency is different. Different people react in different ways too - whether they be the patient, the caller or a bystander.

Our biggest challenge is "tourists" who don't know where they are but still expect us to be able to find them ASAP. Another is people who think that us "asking all these questions" is delaying the ambulance - most don't understand that there are two different roles in the Operations Centre - the Call Taker (who obviously takes the calls) and the Dispatcher (who sends the Ambulance) so the Ambulance is generally getting sorted within 90 seconds of you calling for help.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
Hi All, I have been doing full first aid courses now for years and the same stuff is said 112 will work anywhere, My question is why are they still saying this, if it does not, I carry my boat EPirb in my 4wd when away on trips up north or anywhere I have it registered to my 5m tinny and my 4wd, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
No 2 son was camped up on the Murray watching the southern 80 on the weekend. Unfortunately, he was first on scene to the fatal boat roll. His partner called the emergency services and apparently this part of the river is a well known camp spot, which is all that was required however (she still told them exactly where), it still took 40 odd min for the emergency personnel to arrive.
As a side note, my boy was in army cadets for many years and his training came to the fore but as sad as it is, his injuries were just too severe.  :'( :'(
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....
The following users thanked this post: Rocky and Bullwinkle