Author Topic: Kayaks advice on buying?  (Read 8574 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Kayaks advice on buying?
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
When our kids reach 18 usually buy them a respectable gift, rifle, piano etc?   Anyway the lad has indicated he'd like a kayak. But his just pointing out pretty ordinary looking cheap ones. Was hoping to get him something decent. He is new to it so appreciate any advise. It's not for fishing just riding. Is a two seater worth it?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Kayaks advice on buying?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
Pretty sure there's some info about this on the forum as I asked a similar question a while ago.

This place has a good range http://www.canoes.com.au/
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline pinarelloman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »
Do you mean kayak? As in the real type that you sit in? A couple of places sell real kayaks that convert from 1-2 seats. It takes about 5 mins to change from 1-2 seater. People are scared of the real type as they feel you become trapped in a roll over instead of fall off situation. In reality the real kayak, has lower center of gravity and is less susceptible to roll over. Also warmer in winter as with the proper cover, no water enters the cockpit.
Some companies off free try before you buy classes.
Landcruiser HDJ100 5spd auto.
Australian Off Road camper 2009 Oddyssey export signature.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
What sort of paddling around is he looking at actually doing?

I just bought 2 sit in kayaks for Christmas, both 2nd hand but in really good condition. I like the sit in as if you do roll to that critical point, you can bring it back and keep going, or go hard core and do an Eskimo roll. A sit on kayak will see you tipped off and into the water.

One is 16' long 'Winner' brand that is made in China and is really easy to paddle and cover some distance in, but it is a pig to turn and you really need to use the rudder when there is a breeze. It is well built and the hull is a reasonably thick layer of poly plastic.

The other is only 12' 6" long Australian made 'Australis' brand and much easier to live with. It is sold as a sea kayak mainly due mainly to the bow shape. The cockpit is nice and wide and the hull is really stable. It tracks straight enough, but is easy to turn without a rudder, although it also comes with one. The hull material is thinner and it comes with a stiffener that runs along the floor, but it is also a heap lighter than the long big one.

Both have enough room in a waterproof (well, sort of) compartment  to stow some camping gear if you are so inclined.

Offline J.R

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Regardless of what you purchase, buy the little 2 wheel buggy too.

They are a bastard to get around without one.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:37:46 PM »
We havejust bought one for each of the family (4). I have a Dream Catcher fishing kayak. Wife has one we got from BCF about 3 weeks ago ($299) on sale. It is just as good as my much more expensive one. Daughter also has  BCF Mahi. It is suprisingly manouvourable and well balanced. A very good base. I think the important parts are also a comfortable seat and decent paddle. Mid you I am cetainly no expert. However I dont think there is a need to spend huge dollars. SOme of the sales at the moment are very good.

Good luck.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline isportfish

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »
Advice  on buying a kayak.

Suggest you do some research on kayaks and the intended use.

Below link may help.
http://www.southernadventures.com.au/pages/KayakChoice.htm

2014 PC Challenger
2009 Trak Shak Majestic

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
Google, Point 65 North, they make a nice looking Kayak. All types from SUPs to sit in/ ons.
Regards
Angus.
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I would strongly suggest that you join this forum http://vyak.net/forum/index.php?sid=20dcf928c7af0222e539dcffa3124f11
it's free and they don't send out spam mail etc.

It's basically a kayak fishing forum, BUT, they are very strong on safety and what to get and not get, they also have a second hand for sale section for members  :cup: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »
It's almost like buying a car.  Yaks that are good for fishing, good for playing in the surf, good for racing, canoe polo, touring ( as in overnight camping ), etc. 

Plastic is more forgiving of rocks etc than fibreglass.  Lightweight is easier to handle onto roof racks etc and easier to paddle, but often harder to balance and steer. 

If he doesn't have experience, then a basic plastic sit in (rather than sit on) will let him try a range of wet terrains and see what takes his fancy for the upgrade. Don't overspend.   Sit ons are really fantastic if you only only use them three times a year as they are had to capsize, but if he gets into it he will outgrow it quickly.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
I find the fact that some members are advocating sit in yaks, but have failed to mention that you really need to do a survival course if using 1 of these yaks  >:( a bit puzzling  ???

You MUST be able to do an"Eskimo "roll, you MUST be able to to a deep water re-entry, you MUST be able to evacuate a rolled yak, right it, bail it out and re-enter it.

Sit on yaks have their short comings too, you WILL get wet, there are a lot of cheap and nasty ebay specials out there that are downright dangerous but people buy them because they don't know better ( I was 1 of them )

Things to consider is length, short ones are a pain in the arse to load on top of your car ( leverage ) and are hard to paddle in a straight line, suggest minimum length is about 12 feet ( 4 metres )

Stability is always mentioned, but is it primary or secondary stability  ??? I know which I'd rather ( and have )

If a sit on yak flips, it floats, end of story, it's easy to right for re-entry

For re-entry you can watch "youtube " go to a beach with 5' of water and learn/practice re-entry

Also please be aware that the various states have different laws regarding minimum safety gear that must be either carried or/and worn

Sorry for the rant and rave but Kayaking IS a high risk pass time and EVERY year people drown or die of exposure.

My suggestion, go to a reputable dealer, probably a "Hobbie" and do a demo of both the paddle and peddle types, then hire a couple of different types, if they are "sit in" types and they don't want to show you how to do the survival techniques go some where that will

Final comment ( yeah I know ) is about cost, and in kayaks you really do get what you pay for. Would you buy a cheap "Chinese " camper for $5000-00 and expect to go all around Australia off road with it,  ??? , no , funny about that, and most of the time your life wouldn't depend on it, but you'll buy a $500-00 yak and your life DOES depend on it.

I rest my case

cheers Keith   

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 05:42:03 AM »
God advice Keith

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:40:08 AM »
Thanks all. Kieth great advise and exactly what I wanted straight up advice that's why I came to the swaggers. He has done a bit and prefers the sit in. I will have a look as advised and now add a proper course to the gift.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 07:44:43 AM »
This looks like an awesome start. Bit far from us but he can train it.

http://www.sydneyharbourkayaks.com.au/lessons/free-lessons

Jim

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
We've had a two seater Hobie pedal kayak for about 15 years and really like it. You can peddle and/or paddle at the same time and you can get along at a considerable rate of knots. Two mates who are keen cyclists had a go in it and damn near had the thing up on the plane.
The only downsides are cost and weight. But I think a single seater would be more manageable. A lot of fishers like them because they can troll while still holding the rod.
You really appreciate those pedals when heading into a strong wind.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
You can't really go past a Hobie for a good quality kayak. We have 2 :-) I also have a Cobra Expedition which is a great sit on top fast kayak but still stable.
Hobie will also let you try before you buy, unlike most other companies.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
Im researching them at the moment a phoned keith xcvator the other day for some advice... he knows his stuff.
One in seriously looking at is a NZ made Viking,they have several modles but from what i can see Hobbies or Vikings seem about the best around for sit on tops

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
The Jackson's are up there with the best as well

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
Not sure if they are a good idea in salt water north of the tropic of Capricorn....

Bit close to the water  !!!

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
The guy I bought one of my canoes off had a 2.5m bull shark scratching it's back on his 4m kayak

He thought it was impolite to tell it to stop, but hoped it wasn't foreplay.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 06:21:35 PM »
The guy I bought one of my canoes off had a 2.5m bull shark scratching it's back on his 4m kayak

He thought it was impolite to tell it to stop, but hoped it wasn't foreplay.
Now if he had a peddle hobbie he could have massaged it's back with the fins  ;D ;D ;D

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
And encouraged it?

It may have become foreplay then!

Offline Supersi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
What are people's opinions on Prijon kayaks ?

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 06:36:03 AM »
Prijon do some proper sea kayaks. Their prilite boats were very popular. Is it a sea kayak you are looking at? If so the boat will have to match his weight and height. They are somewhat adjustable, however all proper kayak builders have different hulls for different bodies. They will also do high and low volume boats for general play or expedition work. Eg.  I am 115 kg, and my high volume boat likes an extra 10-15 kg in the bow to sit properly if not loaded up for a trip. Being 6'1" and solid build I am limited to buying 'big person' sea kayaks, of which there aren't too many. Just an example. Enjoy the search. Try to get him to test it before buying it. Kayaks are a subjective choice.
I disagree that you 'need' a roll to paddle a sea kayak. Indeed it is not taught until upper levels of kayak training. A solid wet exit and re enter is not negotiable, but is also enough for general grade 1 and 2 flat water paddles. Rolling becomes mandatory in whitewater and playing in impact zones which the vast majority of Australian paddlers never do.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:42:34 AM by GBC »

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »
Not sure if they are a good idea in salt water north of the tropic of Capricorn....

Bit close to the water  !!!

Cheers Tracker.

I've kayaked the Upper Zambezi. There was a croc called Bismark who used to follow the last kayak through his territory. The advice from the guide was to hit him on the head with your paddle if he got too close. I made sure I was at the front..
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway